Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Big block C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
rockindaves96
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow....thanks i guess i cant even begin to tell you how much i apreciate the advise im gonna have to print out everything so i can study it while looking at the car... i didnt imagine their would be so many items that needed modification..but o well its all about hot rodding hey..i was acually thinking about a tunnel ram setup and not worrying about hood clearance I grew up in Wisconsin so A/C isnt a big deal to me...and accually its just going to be used on the weekends so wipers arent on my priority list either... i hate that im not financialy able to "Go all out" with it but im just looking for a cool project and in the end a really fun weekend toy....my 96 lt4 can stay totally stock and retain its value and i can still have a fast vette ....once again i really apreciate the help..not many people would have taken the time to go into such depth... your allright in my book..Merry christmas to you and yours...Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA 007
Don't we all wish we had that set-up
Whoa! Looks easy enough, I don't see any custom parts.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:17 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

5. I used Sanderson shorty headers that have 1 7/8 primaries and 3" collectors. I know this might sound small, but think about it.. what sense does it make to use 2" or 2.25" primaries when you neck them down to 3" exhaust anyway?
Tony, it's my understanding that you need considerably more flow area at the heads than past the colllectors due to the temperature drop and contraction of gases.... the temp drop downstream of there is much less significant, so more reduction isn't really necessary.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Tony, it's my understanding that you need considerably more flow area at the heads than past the colllectors due to the temperature drop and contraction of gases.... the temp drop downstream of there is much less significant, so more reduction isn't really necessary.
Thanks! That actually makes sense to me.. I think I'll see what kind of power I can make with the ones I have. As soon as I recover from this project and feel like making something else... I guess I can make some headers. I've never tried that before... sounds like fun!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:46 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockindaves96
wow....thanks i guess i cant even begin to tell you how much i apreciate the advise im gonna have to print out everything so i can study it while looking at the car... i didnt imagine their would be so many items that needed modification..but o well its all about hot rodding hey..i was acually thinking about a tunnel ram setup and not worrying about hood clearance I grew up in Wisconsin so A/C isnt a big deal to me...and accually its just going to be used on the weekends so wipers arent on my priority list either... i hate that im not financialy able to "Go all out" with it but im just looking for a cool project and in the end a really fun weekend toy....my 96 lt4 can stay totally stock and retain its value and i can still have a fast vette ....once again i really apreciate the help..not many people would have taken the time to go into such depth... your allright in my book..Merry christmas to you and yours...Dave
Same to you Dave.. let me know if I can be of any furher assistance in your project.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious if you scaled the car. What was the percentage in the front end if you did?
The diff between a BB & SB is about 200 lbs, given you have cast iron heads on the BB. If you moved the engine back some, the additional weight would be negligible, given the weight displacement (front end percentage).
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by redvtt
Curious if you scaled the car. What was the percentage in the front end if you did?
The diff between a BB & SB is about 200 lbs, given you have cast iron heads on the BB. If you moved the engine back some, the additional weight would be negligible, given the weight displacement (front end percentage).
I have not scaled the car since I really just got it roadworthy a few weeks ago (and now the snow is starting to fly). I'm just now putting it back together after making an intake tube for the supercharger.. before I was running without an airfilter, not good. I have aluminum heads on my motor, ported Dart 345 Pro 1. My Merlin block is heavier than a stock block.. but that's the price you pay for having a platform capable of serious HP. It will handle just fine.. believe me. I'm not saying it will outhandle a Porshe GT3 (maybe it will), in a worse case scenario I won't be too far behind in the curves... and god help that Porshe driver if there are any straightaways..

Last edited by TONYDEE64; 12-23-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:56 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You definitely did it right!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:50 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoNumber1
how could an air pump cause you headaches? you're not talking on an 89 are you?
Well according to Jamison it can cause problems removing the air pump. He says the chip can keep looking for the air pump input and has seen a car not even start. How it does that I don't know.

I get easily lost with the computer stuff but I don't doubt Mr. Jamison who appears to know a little about Corvettes.

And yes I'm having problems with my 89 since I removed the air pump. I suspect it's related to fuel but I'm not discounting an ECM problem related to the air pump being removed.

BTW, Tony I can't believe all the time you put into this project and taking this on all by yourself. My hat is off to you and your beautiful and also incredibly powerful car. Why do people climb mountains? Same reason you did this. Truly amazing. Kudos again.

Last edited by jobberone; 01-03-2005 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add to message
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 PM
BigC4
Pro

I don't think a big block with aluminum heads weighs that much more than the aluminum LT-5 motor and I heard they used those in the Vettes at one time. Go for it, tons of torque and power. If you want to reduce some weight bore it out even more. You have to notch the k member if you want to use a regular oil pan and motor mounts. You can also use the a/c box off of the LT-5 car I mentioned earlier to give you more clearance around the valve covers.

Try getting the sound of the new Z06 out of a small block's internals, the 4.125" bore and 4" stroke of the newer LS7 are the same as the old BBC 427 internal dimensions except they seem really expensive yet and there is room to grow in the bbc block.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by BigC4
I don't think a big block with aluminum heads weighs that much more than the aluminum LT-5 motor and I heard they used those in the Vettes at one time. Go for it, tons of torque and power. If you want to reduce some weight bore it out even more. You have to notch the k member if you want to use a regular oil pan and motor mounts. You can also use the a/c box off of the LT-5 car I mentioned earlier to give you more clearance around the valve covers.

Try getting the sound of the new Z06 out of a small block's internals, the 4.125" bore and 4" stroke of the newer LS7 are the same as the old BBC 427 internal dimensions except they seem really expensive yet and there is room to grow in the bbc block.
Somebody mention BB LT5?

This is a low 10-second daily driver in Chicago traffic owned by Kevin Costello of Chicago. Guy in the video is Pete P, one of the "FBI" gang that built this stroked and sleeved 441 inch N/A LT5. Other significant mod is the ZF was replaced with a 4L65E and TC lock. Perfectly drivable manners in heavy traffic, cruises to the track, changes to slicks and runs in the low 10s!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

WoW!!!! A nice year old thread revived!!!!!!!!! BB's do rule for torque.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Tony, two quick questions:

how deep is the oil pan you useds ? and,

what is the oil pan to ground clearance ?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
WoW!!!! A nice year old thread revived!!!!!!!!! BB's do rule for torque.
Year old? Last posts WERE from 2004...nearly 9 years ago.

IBTL
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Tony, two quick questions:

how deep is the oil pan you useds ? and,

what is the oil pan to ground clearance ?
Tony last posted back in 2008. Not sure if he's even still around.

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Year old? Last posts WERE from 2004...nearly 9 years ago.

IBTL
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

I'm here.. still have the car and have been driving the heck out of it. The car sat for a few years, and then I rebuilt the motor last year, made some larger headers, figured out the cooling issues, and added another blow off valve. My 15 year old son and I love cruising in it. We just took it to a car show tonight on Noblesville, Indiana. Had an awesome time! I hope you all are well!!!!!

tonydee
Old 09-16-2014, 01:56 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
I'm here.. still have the car and have been driving the heck out of it. The car sat for a few years, and then I rebuilt the motor last year, made some larger headers, figured out the cooling issues, and added another blow off valve. My 15 year old son and I love cruising in it. We just took it to a car show tonight on Noblesville, Indiana. Had an awesome time! I hope you all are well!!!!!

tonydee
Did you ever post pictures (in sequence, hopefully) of the swap? Would love to see current ones. I need a BB in my road racer - in spite of all the pooh -poohs i'll get by so doing.

Quick Reply: Big block C4