Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

FS: Question: How to Ship Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 06:40 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Question: How to Ship Rims?

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in; please redirect if appropriate.

When shipping rims, do the OEM cardboard boxes provide adequate protection?

I have some rims that I'm preparing to sell, but I'd like to estimate the shipping cost/hassle before listing them. They are new-in-box, so the boxes are a perfect fit. I was surprised that there is no additional padding, other than a plastic bag around each wheel. The boxes have a little bit of water damage; not sure if that matters. If a buyer wants them shipped, would it be adequate to just tape up the boxes and ship them as-is?

These belonged to my late father, so I don't know exactly how he acquired them. Based on the old labels, it appears that GM shipped them to a dealer via FedEx. If that was good enough for GM, is that still good enough now?

Old 05-11-2024, 07:18 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 306 Likes on 233 Posts

That's the way they ship have shipped some and received some over the years and that's how we do it ,shippers can bust up anything so put some INS on them ,should be OK .
The following users liked this post:
JGB (05-13-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 10:17 PM
tuneportbeast
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me I would put a thin layer of foam around the face and the backside if them. You know the stuff I'm talking about, I'm sure. Just at least to protect them from scuffs if they break through when they're throwing them. I work for one of these places and that's proper procedure...they get thrown when sorting.
JGB (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 AM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always double boxed wheels. I had a set get damaged and the first thing UPS asked for was the little certification stamp on the box that has the burst strength. As soon as they had that, they denied the claim saying the box wasn't strong enough. Home depot heavy duty 20x20 boxes work well for a lot of wheels.

Or if the buyer is willing, have ups/ FedEx pack them... claim can't be denied if they did the work.
The following 2 users liked this post by sgtskid:
JGB (05-14-2024), Sleazy Rider (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:09 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 495 Likes on 377 Posts

^^^^^^ what he said. either double box them with padding or take them to the shipper and have them box them. sent a set of zr-1 wheels to a forum member, double boxed, and strapped together. and still the boxes were literally torn apart and some of the wheels were bent. shipper tried to tell me that they were improperly packaged. YEAH, RIGHT!!!
JGB (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:18 PM
JGB
Instructor

Originally Posted by tuneportbeast
If it were me I would put a thin layer of foam around the face and the backside if them. You know the stuff I'm talking about, I'm sure. Just at least to protect them from scuffs if they break through when they're throwing them. I work for one of these places and that's proper procedure...they get thrown when sorting.
Good idea; thanks!

"thrown" !? 😱
Old 05-13-2024, 10:19 PM
JGB
Instructor

Originally Posted by sgtskid
I've always double boxed wheels. I had a set get damaged and the first thing UPS asked for was the little certification stamp on the box that has the burst strength. As soon as they had that, they denied the claim saying the box wasn't strong enough. Home depot heavy duty 20x20 boxes work well for a lot of wheels.

Or if the buyer is willing, have ups/ FedEx pack them... claim can't be denied if they did the work.
Thanks for the tips!
sgtskid (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:47 PM
brentoleary
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
Thanks for the tips!

I just shipped some a few weeks back and this is the process I used.

1. I cut out cardboard circles to cover the front and back of the rim with some overlap that can be formed around the lip..
2. wrapped and taped these on with 1 layer of thin bubble wrap around the entire wheel
3. wrapped this tight with 18” moving plastic wrap
4. placed the wheels face side up in lowes extra large size moving boxes
5. cut the four corners of the box at the same height of the rim face and folded all the flaps tightly over the top of the wheel (basically just shortened the height of the box.

This method provided two layers of cardboard and 1 layer of bubble wrap for the back and lip of the wheel and 5 layers of cardboard and 1 layer of bubble wrap for the face.

I also made a UPS account and created/printed shipping labels for the boxes at home and dropped off at the UPS store which saved more than 50% ($50 per wheel) vs the quote I got ($146 per wheel) when I called the store to get an estimate.

Thankfully the UPS store employee told me that I would be way better off that way and he was correct.

I insured them for $500 a wheel, but they arrived with no problems.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:32 PM
JGB
Instructor

Originally Posted by brentoleary
I just shipped some a few weeks back and this is the process I used.

1. I cut out cardboard circles to cover the front and back of the rim with some overlap that can be formed around the lip..
2. wrapped and taped these on with 1 layer of thin bubble wrap around the entire wheel
3. wrapped this tight with 18” moving plastic wrap
4. placed the wheels face side up in lowes extra large size moving boxes
5. cut the four corners of the box at the same height of the rim face and folded all the flaps tightly over the top of the wheel (basically just shortened the height of the box.

This method provided two layers of cardboard and 1 layer of bubble wrap for the back and lip of the wheel and 5 layers of cardboard and 1 layer of bubble wrap for the face.

I also made a UPS account and created/printed shipping labels for the boxes at home and dropped off at the UPS store which saved more than 50% ($50 per wheel) vs the quote I got ($146 per wheel) when I called the store to get an estimate.

Thankfully the UPS store employee told me that I would be way better off that way and he was correct.

I insured them for $500 a wheel, but they arrived with no problems.
Thank you for all these details, especially the part about the discount for creating the labels at home. Just this morning, I stopped by a UPS store to ask for an estimate and they didn't say anything about that!
brentoleary (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:43 PM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 95 Posts

Another option is Grey Hound Bus
I had two large car doors shipped from California to Wisconsin years ago and was very reasonable but not real fast.

Also I have heard that you can have a Fastenal store ship things reasonable and will put on a pallet. An option to check into.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:18 PM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4
Another option is Grey Hound Bus
I had two large car doors shipped from California to Wisconsin years ago and was very reasonable but not real fast.

Also I have heard that you can have a Fastenal store ship things reasonable and will put on a pallet. An option to check into.

I used greyhound once. Took almost 2 months!! Their tracking was laughable. They also only deliver to the nearest bus stop and Knoxville lost their greyhound location years ago. Many cities are losing them.

Fastenal isn't a bad option but they split the US up and will only deliver in "zones".

Creating a PayPal/shipstation account will get you cheap labels as well.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:25 AM
'78CorvetteS.A.
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in; please redirect if appropriate.

When shipping rims, do the OEM cardboard boxes provide adequate protection?

I have some rims that I'm preparing to sell, but I'd like to estimate the shipping cost/hassle before listing them. They are new-in-box, so the boxes are a perfect fit. I was surprised that there is no additional padding, other than a plastic bag around each wheel. The boxes have a little bit of water damage; not sure if that matters. If a buyer wants them shipped, would it be adequate to just tape up the boxes and ship them as-is?

These belonged to my late father, so I don't know exactly how he acquired them. Based on the old labels, it appears that GM shipped them to a dealer via FedEx. If that was good enough for GM, is that still good enough now?

Sending PM👍

Get notified of new replies

To Question: How to Ship Rims?

Quick Reply: FS: Question: How to Ship Rims?