C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help!!! My brakes are falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 PM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!!! My brakes are falling apart

On my '89 corvette the front brakes keep wanting to fall apart. The retaining pin that holds the caliper in it's bracket is apparently squeezing out of it's groove. It's happened now on each front wheel. When I press the brake going in reverse, I can hear a clink. I believe I lost the pin once during one of those clinks, so I try not to use my brakes in reverse anymore. But recently I lost the one on the other side on the highway when I hit the brakes suddenly (not particularly hard, just suddenly). Any clues what my problem is?

Here are some pictures of the pin. You should be able to clearly see the gaps. The pin moves pretty freely.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you might have the wrong size pads. When did you last replace them? Check and see if you have the correct pads in, you might have pads for the correct year but wrong size disc.
That pin should sit tight against those pads. Thats what they do is hold them in.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 AM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

I suppose I got new pads when I replaced the rotors a year or 2 back. I may have had the problem that far back and not noticed. I guess it never occured to me that the chaps at the parts store might give me a wrong part. I'll check that out in the morning, if it's not too cold. Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 12:28 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The pad should sit low enough to enclose the caliper pin, yet the anti-rattle pin seems to be positioned properly.

Are you sure the caliper pin is the correct size??
Old 01-31-2005, 12:39 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I am more concerned that the small tangs that the pin captures are somehow damaged.

Things just don't look right.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:46 AM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

Yes, the anti-rattle clip seems fine to me too. I think a larger pin would work perfectly. Would anyone happen to know where i could be sure and get the proper pin. As I recall I had an tough time finding these and they certainly don't look like the right ones now.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Late last fall I did a complete front brake rebuild, from the flex hoses outward, and got all the parts from my local AC Delco parts house.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Mighty-Mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not completely sure, but weren't there 2 part numbers for caliper brackets in '89?

One for the standard and one for a heavy duty? If you can read and post the part number for:

The Caliper
The Mounting Bracket
The Brake Pads

That would help, some one can look up the part numbers and make sure they're correct.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

The caliper is made by PBR of Australia. As far as I know those were the original calipers. As for heavy duty or not, I don't know. The only part number I can find appears to be K247-001C on the caliper. Can't find any others except the patent numbers.

According to the AC Delco website, though, it looks like there is only 1 pin for this corvette. I suppose I could still have the wrong pin, though.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:28 PM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

OK, it turns out I DO have the heavy duty brakes and the pins are different part numbers. Since I didn't know they were heavy duty, I'm sure I didn't specify when I got these last ones. I'll order these new ones and see if they do the trick.

And.....the heavy duty is half the price of the regular.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Mighty-Mouse
I'm not completely sure, but weren't there 2 part numbers for caliper brackets in '89?

One for the standard and one for a heavy duty? If you can read and post the part number for:

The Caliper
The Mounting Bracket
The Brake Pads

That would help, some one can look up the part numbers and make sure they're correct.
The difference inthe brackets is to compensate for the differnce in diameter of the J55 brakes over the standard.
As far as I know, the pins are the same.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

greetings,

i just ran into this exact same problem today! i replaced all the brakes all the way around and noticed that all 4 wheels seem to be rattling while driving. i also have a "clunk" from the wheels every time i apply the brakes.

i had noticed that the "pin area" seemed to have a lot of space around it as seen in the other gentleman's pictures. i am panicking as to if the pin will somehow be forced out of it's grove" i verified the brake pads today and they are correct for the application. the brakes were virtually down to nothing - about the thickness of a quarter.

i am positive that i installed everything correctly and torqued everything according to helms and that being the case, everything should be fine, but, it's not. gonna tear it down tomorrow and will get back to the forum with what i find.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:19 AM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

Compare your old pads to the new pads and make sure they're exactly the same, paying particularl attention to where the pad meets the pin.

Did you reuse the old pin?

If a pin should happen to come out while you're driving, the worst that should happen is the caliper will rub a groove into your wheel. You'll hear this happening, particularly when you apply the brakes. I know, it's happened to me twice.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hotclayb1
Compare your old pads to the new pads and make sure they're exactly the same, paying particularl attention to where the pad meets the pin.

Did you reuse the old pin?

If a pin should happen to come out while you're driving, the worst that should happen is the caliper will rub a groove into your wheel. You'll hear this happening, particularly when you apply the brakes. I know, it's happened to me twice.
the pads and it's "shape" were identical to the old pads. yea, i reused the old pins.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:50 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I don't think I'd drive it until the problem is resolved.
This is NOT an area to be experimenting around in.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

update....

i tore the wheels and brakes down today. every single bolt was tight. i verified the pads given to me by the parts house and they too, were correct. i noticed that, near the front brake caliper pin, there seemed to be a little "play" or distance between the surface of the pin and the contact area where the pin makes contact in or around the grove of the brake pad.

this is just enough to allow the caliper to "move" a bit and "rattle", and "clunk" when the brakes are applied. i made a steel shim that will go around the caliper pin which has taken up the "slop" so it won't rattle.

i have contacted the dealer and they advise that there are 2 part numbers (calloway not included) for the pins for my car (88 vette). one is for the heavy duty brakes with power assist and the other is for the abs brakes which i have. they were out of stock when i asked them to pull one of each to compare the diameter since i was told the the length was identical.

so, back on the phone to the parts house where they too are out of stock. however, they will have 2 sets shipped in a day or so and i will compare the diameters of the pins. it could be that i originally have the wrong pins in my car...will advise.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:23 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

OK, it turns out I DO have the heavy duty brakes and the pins are different part numbers. Since I didn't know they were heavy duty, I'm sure I didn't specify when I got these last ones. I'll order these new ones and see if they do the trick.

And.....the heavy duty is half the price of the regular.
The pins are different for HD brakes. Replace those and all should be fine.

Last edited by crheinish; 02-01-2005 at 08:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!! My brakes are falling apart

Old 02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

http://www.superchevyperformance.com/
Call Jeff Copp or Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

Yes, I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I DON'T have the HD brakes. Must have been trying to read upside down or something. Of course if the HD pin is a larger diameter I could use it anyway and everything would probably be just fine. Does anyone happen to know the difference?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Yes, I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I DON'T have the HD brakes. Must have been trying to read upside down or something. Of course if the HD pin is a larger diameter I could use it anyway and everything would probably be just fine. Does anyone happen to know the difference?
You have the wrong pins or the wrong pads, my bet is pads. Check your mfg. date to verify vehicle year then call these guys they will be able to help:

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=130

Quick Reply: Help!!! My brakes are falling apart