C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what to do heads and or cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 AM
raw122
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do heads and or cam

ok i have a pretty much stock 93 and i have a few ?i know im going to probably get my heads from elliott's,i will be doing mostly street driving and i dont want to have to worry about idle or any problems like that it still needs to be a reliable car,im tring to get around 400 rwhp out of the car

1-can i do it without replacing the cam and if i can will it help much with hp

2-can i replace the cam with out taking the engine out

3-on elliots page the lt1-le1 saids some where between 379-390 rwhp and for the lt1-le2 400-420 rwhp does these number seem about right to anyone

4-last on his page it looks like to get them numbers i would have to replace the injectors 30/36, 52/58 throttle body how much would this cost and what kind of numbers if i dont do this when i do the swap

and if i do this is there any thing else i should do or is a good idea to do at the same time

soyy if i confused anyony one i think i confussed my self ,thanks for any input or suggestion
Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cam should be picked to match the rest of the engine combo. "I" would never swap cam only if head upgrade was in the near future. The cam should be matched to desired rpm band, compression, head flow, gearing, vacuum requirements and physical limitations such as piston to valve clearance, spring bind etc. The cam is one of the final tuning aids of the motor. In a perfect world the cam and heads are done together. A cam can be swapped in the car in every year c4. It is a job though. When I am that deep into it, I usually pluck the motor and put it on a stand. If you are paying a pro labor, let him decide which way is better (cheaper).
Edit, I misread your question. You asked if changing heads and not cam is ok. I repied as if you asked the opposite. My mistake. If you cannot do both together, my opinion is do heads and down the road do the cam.

Last edited by Pete K; 03-02-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:29 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by raw122
ok i have a pretty much stock 93 and i have a few ?i know im going to probably get my heads from elliott's,i will be doing mostly street driving and i dont want to have to worry about idle or any problems like that it still needs to be a reliable car,im tring to get around 400 rwhp out of the car

1-can i do it without replacing the cam and if i can will it help much with hp

2-can i replace the cam with out taking the engine out

3-on elliots page the lt1-le1 saids some where between 379-390 rwhp and for the lt1-le2 400-420 rwhp does these number seem about right to anyone

4-last on his page it looks like to get them numbers i would have to replace the injectors 30/36, 52/58 throttle body how much would this cost and what kind of numbers if i dont do this when i do the swap

and if i do this is there any thing else i should do or is a good idea to do at the same time

soyy if i confused anyony one i think i confussed my self ,thanks for any input or suggestion
To get 400 HP at the rear wheels you're going to need BOTH a cam and heads. You'll also need exhaust improvements. What goes in must come out.

Your cam selection is going to be critical since you're concerned with idle, etc. The cam will have to be kept on the conservative side to maintain a good idle; I'd say no bigger than 218@ .050

There's another thread going on right now on heads, so take a look at it for some ideas and comments. What you'd need, though, are heads that have good, high velocity flow while keeping intake port volume on the small side. This'll keep the engine feeling peppy and you won't have to rev the **** out of it to make good power.

Yes, the cam can be changed without pulling the engine.

I'm not a fan of big injectors for a 350 size engine. 30/36s are too big to my way of thinking.

Just my thoughts.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To what to do heads and or cam

Quick Reply: what to do heads and or cam