C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

cryo-treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 04:25 PM
hgw1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cryo-treatment

Does anyone know of some independent test of cryo-treated materials (Steel & Aluminium) and how it affects ultimate tensile strength, fatigue strength….?

Thanks
Gunnar
Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I explored this subject about a year ago. The metallurgical lab at my work (aerospace) has some books on the subject and the Ph.D. who heads up the lab even published some articles on cryogenic treatments of metals. Both he and the books seem to agree that it may be somewhat beneficial on some aluminum alloys, but ferrous alloys (to which the carbon steels belong) show virtually no property changes from being treated to sub-zero temperatures (cast iron, not being a common aerospace material, was not included in the testing).
There are people who seem to have experienced increased brake rotor wear resistance (cast iron) but this evidence is anecdotal and not scientific proof.
There are also people who claim that the barrel life is enhanced on very high velocity rifles, but again, I've seen no controlled testing to back this up.
Me? I wouldn't spend the money. If you can get it done free, go for it...it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Otherwise, Caveat Emptor.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 03-13-2005, 10:30 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3 things I recomend it on are ring and pinion, rotors and camshafts.
I mean rotors arent that expensive so i mean the extra $40 or so is the price of the rotors so honestly its not as cost effective.... now if you have high performance rotors such as baer etc... then I think it would be cost effective. because the rotors are so expensive and you want them to last.
but larry is right aluminum alloys show more and better property changes.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

You might want to check out this site

www.fountainheadcryo.com

Bill is a great guy, and he really knows this stuff. Tell him Darren sent you.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:43 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Another authority on the subject is form member jburnett.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:39 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Another authority on the subject is form member jburnett.

RACE ON!!!
jburnett is running 9's on his cryo'd D44. That's gotta say something in itself.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

amen
Old 03-14-2005, 04:25 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Just remember; most of the people who say great things about this process are in the business of SELLING this process....

...keep that in mind.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 03-14-2005, 04:33 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

put it this way I use it on my car.

and I mean i end up making about $5 per order so I mean its hardly anything. I just do it for enjoyment and as a hobby and as a help to people so that they can save $, have a better/more reliable, and faster running car. I meet new people and make some friends. get to talk about their vettes with them so its all good.

I mean all this stuff is not a must but it does help alot if you are worried about making the metals stronger and more durable.
your friend
Sean
Old 03-19-2005, 02:39 PM
hgw1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply’s

To rocco: do you remember in what way the aluminum was improved (tensile, fatigue… strength)

To Polovette 94: thanks for the link probably the best commercial site on the subject.

To the ones in the business: I can se the benefits for tool steel but I don’t think we have much of that in our cars.

I’m not saying that it won’t work on other metals. But I would at least like to see some test of different metals for instance 1020 & 4340 steel and 2018 & 6061 aluminum.

I understand that the test cost for a small company might bee to high but at least the companies that build and sell the cryo equipment should bee able to afford them.

Lastly I would like to hear from some one that have had some real life experience whit cryo treat parts especially rear axes.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Blown Vette
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking to get this process done don’t be fooled into shipping your heavy parts across country for treating. The cost is very low to get this done, usually less than shipping one way to another state. The cost to have the process done is usually based on size and weight.

The cryo-treatment owners are used to being paid by check in net 30-day terms by their regular customers and if you show up paying cash they are more than happy to give you a great deal.

The process is usually tied into a heat-treating business. You can find them listed in the yellow pages in your area or call around to machine shops and find out what shop they use. The shop I use has the opinion of the first reply in this thread. Basically it will not hurt anything but doubts the crazy claims some believe.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:12 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Just remember; most of the people who say great things about this process are in the business of SELLING this process....

...keep that in mind.

Larry
code5coupe

amen

Get notified of new replies

To cryo-treatment

Quick Reply: cryo-treatment