C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm about to get a megaphone horn system for the Vette. What do you all think??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:17 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm about to get a megaphone horn system for the Vette. What do you all think??

Yeah, I'd like to do something different and instead of honking the horn and having that as an option, I'd like to push a button near the horn and yell, "HEY YOU!!" so they can clearly hear me. What are the legalities? Is it even legal to have something like this installed in your car? I saw someone cut off an Escalade pretty close just about an hour ago and he yelled, "Watch where you're going, stupid!!" Sounds like he has a lot of fun with megaphones!!! I would too! Comments??
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Did I stumble into the wrong section? I was looking for C4 Tech/Performance and this was the first thread???

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

its doable, I've seen people with something similar, they used a CB mic and a big loudspeaker/megaphone thing.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd get one with an "automatic pistol" detector. That way you could be more prudent as to whom you yell at.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by xeugep
Yeah, I'd like to do something different and instead of honking the horn and having that as an option, I'd like to push a button near the horn and yell, "HEY YOU!!" so they can clearly hear me. What are the legalities? Is it even legal to have something like this installed in your car? I saw someone cut off an Escalade pretty close just about an hour ago and he yelled, "Watch where you're going, stupid!!" Sounds like he has a lot of fun with megaphones!!! I would too! Comments??
As for legalities, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that it would be damn funny. Just don't put it on the Vette... put it on your DD in case there are adverse reactions . Then tell us how you did it.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dndrsn
I'd get one with an "automatic pistol" detector. That way you could be more prudent as to whom you yell at.

I was thinking of that same thing. I wouldn't use the megaphone near the ghetto. Or maybe when I see like the GANGSTAZ are reaching for something, I'll just push the pedal to the metal and GTFO quickly. I'll go past 100 mph if I have to and thats really not that hard to do at all. It only takes me 12 seconds to do so.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*So* many of the 'billies (as in, HILLbillies) I went to high school with back in Georgia had bullhorns on their trucks, jeeps, and p.o.s. cars. To me, it's really W.T., but to each their own.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perfusion
To me, it's really W.T., but to each their own.
I agree, everyone who has one around here is highly educated.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Someone's been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard !!

When I was 16, I had an old Camaro - It had a PA system up front, hooked to my CB. I used to drive around screaming at people, scaring old ladies, and frightening young kids... Till one day I got bagged doing it and got a $300 fine. It came out that day.

Horns and middle fingers are all I need
Old 03-15-2005, 11:27 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

So I'm getting the hint here you all wouldn't advise it and that it can be illegal if used improperly as in verbal assault to motorists or pedestrians for no apparent reason. I swear I would only use it if someone really did cut me off, pulled in front of me or was about to him me. Hahaha, I think the person would actually have a better understanding of what I would really have meant verbally if worst comes to worst. IMO that would kinda have its advantages over the good ole' 10 second blast from the old factory Corvette horn.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:45 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

How old are you? Seems like it would be only inviting trouble of all types for you. "Hey Escalade, you cut me off." .... "Hey Corvette, watch me backup over your damn hood now."
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

i'm too old for pizzing matches, but wise enough to keep a tire iron in arm's reach.

...and although i enjoyed your post, it certainly doesn't belong in Tech/Perf.

Last edited by tempest; 03-16-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:49 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

I'd keep a 9mm, but I think it could be overkill in my city. How about a tiny .22LR pistol, or dart taser and/or a good old 24" breaker bar? By nature, I'm really not that violent at all. It usually takes a lot of $hit to pi$$ me off.

BTW, I wouldn't use the PA when I'm stopped in traffic. When I'm going faster than 30 mph /w room to go faster, it could be optional at that point. When I'm really in trouble, e.g. they get out of their car, run me over, I'll floor it and use the PA system and yell HELP!!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

I installed something similar a long long time ago. On my trunk, I installed a very powerful halogen light aimed staright backwards. I aimed it at the driver behind me. If asked, I said I used it at night when I backed into my parents' driveway, so I could see where I was going. Actually, I called it my anti-tailgaiting device. I kept a toggle switch under the dash that controlled the on/off.

When someone was in my opinion, too close to my caboose, I'd let them know that they were a bit too close. I'd turn on my headlights, which would cause my rear lights to illuminate and the driver thought that I hit my brakes. I did it that way, because I didn't want to hit my brakes because that could have easily caused an accident. Even as a kid, I had some forethought. When they ignored my warning, I'd turn on the light, day or night. If it was night, I'd warn them a different way first before turning on this extremely bright light. This light was an immediate attention getter and low and behold, they instantly backed off; Probably because they were seeing nothing but stars. Well maybe my forethought wasn't so great.

But as kids, we often do stupid things. I never thought about the consequences that could have resulted from this light and I did use it quite a few times. And it worked every time. Luckily, no one was ever injured from this stunt.

I still don't like tailgaiters, but if they are in such a hurry, they can go around me. I never travel in the left lane when I feel like driving the speed limit or a little slower; I stay in the middle lane or move to the right, if there is a middle lane.

Boys will be boys with their toys. That light contraption was concocted about 20 years ago and it's amazing how differently you think when that much time passes.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

85 500 HORSE (quote)

This light was an immediate attention getter and low and behold, they instantly backed off; Probably because they were seeing nothing but stars. Well maybe my forethought wasn't so great.

You were probably fortunate at the time that they would drop back and stay back rather than dropping back to get a running start.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a while..a couple of good belly laughs. Thanks

Last edited by PierEagle; 03-16-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:03 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Yah...

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Did I stumble into the wrong section? I was looking for C4 Tech/Performance and this was the first thread???

RACE ON!!!
He probably should have posted on C-4 General.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm about to get a megaphone horn system for the Vette. What do you all think??

Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
Boys will be boys with their toys. That light contraption was concocted about 20 years ago and it's amazing how differently you think when that much time passes.
Yeah, I will be 23 in May but will always be a boy at heart with all my toys.

Hopefully before 30, I can acquire my man status by owning 2-3 houses, renting them to others, owning a C4, C5, and C6 Vette, and settling down after maybe having just one kid and no more from there.

Back on topic, I'm getting ready to buy a PA system on ebay and try it out once I fully install it in the Vette.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by xeugep
Yeah, I will be 23 in May but will always be a boy at heart with all my toys.

Hopefully before 30, I can acquire my man status by owning 2-3 houses, renting them to others, owning a C4, C5, and C6 Vette, and settling down after maybe having just one kid and no more from there.

Back on topic, I'm getting ready to buy a PA system on ebay and try it out once I fully install it in the Vette.
I'd highly recommend playing some farm animal noises through the p.a. when you pull up next to a cutie
Old 03-16-2005, 10:23 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Go to a wrecking yard or auto recycler and get a pair of horns from a early 70's Caddy or Buick Park Avenue. The tones are deeper and a higher decibel. They will bolt in and even use the same connector.

Quick Reply: I'm about to get a megaphone horn system for the Vette. What do you all think??