C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPI Intake flow #'s?!

Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default TPI Intake flow #'s?!

Can't seem to find the info once posted on this. Here's what I'm looking for:
1-Flow #'s for stock TPI base and runners
2-Aftermarket I.D. (base and runners if possible) sizes and flow #'s (Accel, Bigmouth, Edelbrock, etc.)
Call it an excercize in futility, but I'm going to try and max out another 89 TPI base and runners, but this time go as far as possible. If need be, I'll siamese the base. This will be going on a mild TPI 406. Trying to go as far as I can on the cheap and look stock. I'll flow everything when done and compare it to the heads I want. I know aftermarkets easier, but I dont have a grand to blow on an intake. Besides, I enjoy getting down and dirty

BTW, thanks Heehaw89! Intake's in great shape!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:39 AM
olman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any numbers for the after market stuff

Stock base.................................... ......211 cfm
Stock base with stock runners................181 cfm
Old 03-19-2005, 03:45 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here's some numbers from an old issue of Hot Rod mag:
Flow..........Component
203cfm.......stock runners only
242cfm.......Accel runners only
222cfm.......stock base only
232cfm.......Accel base only
199cfm.......stock base with stock runners
216cfm.......Accel base with stock runners
232cfm.......Accel base with Accel runners
243cfm.......Accel base extrude honed with Accel runners
TPIS "Insider Hints" says that there is not enough material in the stock base to port it to the flow of a BM or Accel base.

It shold be interesting to see how your flow numbers come out.

BTW, what's the max flow of the heads going onto your 406 build up?

Last edited by 65Z01; 03-19-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Flow..........Component
199cfm.......stock base only
TPIS "Insider Hints" says that there is not enough material in the stock base to port it to the flow of a BM or Accel base.

If I go with the Dart pro 180, I believe its around 255, I'll have to check for sure. The AFR's flow around 270. Depends on money at the time. Cam timing will be mild, so will RPM band. Sounds like a ported Superram is my best bet, but its cost prohibitive. Trying to focus all torque from the word go to about 5000 or so. I have to make it pass emissins, so using a 195 head and more cam may not work out.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:13 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Flow..........Component
199cfm.......stock base only

If stock runners only flow 203 by themselves how can they flow 216 when tied to a base?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:21 PM
barbedwiredave
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If I go with the Dart pro 180, I believe its around 255, I'll have to check for sure. The AFR's flow around 270. Depends on money at the time. Cam timing will be mild, so will RPM band. Sounds like a ported Superram is my best bet, but its cost prohibitive. Trying to focus all torque from the word go to about 5000 or so. I have to make it pass emissins, so using a 195 head and more cam may not work out.

I'm waiting on my pro 1 180's now, they are getting a mild port and polish and shaved to 60cc combustion chambers. There going on with a complete superram and a 219 cam. Hopefully I can get some numbers up after it all comes together.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I'd be curious to know what you think of the heads when you get them. Let me know. I'll probably do a little "touch up" work when i get mine, too.
The runners probably show more flow when tied to a base, just as a head should show more on a bench with a pipe bolted to it, rather then just open.
I'm guessing, depending on what the intake flows I may have to "cheat", and siamese the base. As long as it looks stock, Idon't care.
Thanks for the input so far
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Can't seem to find the info once posted on this. Here's what I'm looking for:
1-Flow #'s for stock TPI base and runners
2-Aftermarket I.D. (base and runners if possible) sizes and flow #'s (Accel, Bigmouth, Edelbrock, etc.)
Call it an excercize in futility, but I'm going to try and max out another 89 TPI base and runners, but this time go as far as possible. If need be, I'll siamese the base. This will be going on a mild TPI 406. Trying to go as far as I can on the cheap and look stock. I'll flow everything when done and compare it to the heads I want. I know aftermarkets easier, but I dont have a grand to blow on an intake. Besides, I enjoy getting down and dirty

BTW, thanks Heehaw89! Intake's in great shape!
I did the very same thing with my intake and BBK runners for my 415.

I used my SawAll and the longest metal cutting blade I could find; about 12". I removed as much dividing wall as I coule reach on BOTH the intake manifold and the runners.

Because of the turns in the runners, I couldn't get all the wall out, so there's still a short section, maybe 3" or so, remaining.

I removed the dividing walls at the plenum, runners and intake and as far in as I could. Sort of looks like photos you may have seen of someone looking through a pair of binoculars.

I've got a link to a site that has some photos of the work another guy did. He just didn't go as far as I did. Sorry I don't have any photos of my handi-work.

http://sethirdgen.org/TPIbase.htm

IT DOES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Jake
Old 03-19-2005, 07:34 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

http://stealthram.com/flowcomparison.html
Old 03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a link to a site with lots of flow numbers.

http://dtcc.cz28.com/flow/

Jake
Old 03-19-2005, 10:25 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hippy you raise a good point, which I cannot answer except to say it must be a misprint.

Also note that I had the stock base quoted incorrectly at 199cfm, whereas that was the flow for the stock base & stock runner combo. Sorry for that typo.

cuisinartvette you could try port & siamese the stock base. This would let the base flow better and breath through two runner tubes, which would effectively take the stock runner flow restriction out of the picture. With a siamese stock base & stock runners my L98 pulls well to 5,800rpm with stock cam & headers, so you will have no problem pulling to 5k rpm with that setup.

If you go with the Dart heads you may need to siamese an Accel base to get close to that 250cfm flow. Is that flow at your intended max valve lift? BTW, if you limit valve event overlap you should be ok on emissions.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Hippy you raise a good point, which I cannot answer except to say it must be a misprint.

Also note that I had the stock base quoted incorrectly at 199cfm, whereas that was the flow for the stock base & stock runner combo. Sorry for that typo.

cuisinartvette you could try port & siamese the stock base. This would let the base flow better and breath through two runner tubes, which would effectively take the stock runner flow restriction out of the picture. With a siamese stock base & stock runners my L98 pulls well to 5,800rpm with stock cam & headers, so you will have no problem pulling to 5k rpm with that setup.

If you go with the Dart heads you may need to siamese an Accel base to get close to that 250cfm flow. Is that flow at your intended max valve lift? BTW, if you limit valve event overlap you should be ok on emissions.
The 255 number is approximate: @.500 lift. I don't plan on going with much more than that..Maybe a touch. Shooting for 214ish to 220 ish @.050 ,would like to keep a 112 L.C. May have to go 114. Not positive yet. I only want top put the cam in once, just not dead sure which one.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI Intake flow #'s?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPI Intake flow #'s?!