C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[90-L98] Broken Multi-function switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default [90-L98] Broken Multi-function switch

A few weeks ago while signalling for a right turn, my stalk went all floppy All of the switch fuctions work except that I cannot signal for right turns and the only way to stop signalling for left turns is to turn the wheel - lane changes mean it will keep blinking until a sharp enough turn.

I pulled the airbag and steering wheel off expecting to replace the turn signal switch ($50 bucks from GM) only to find that the lever that moves the switch is busted - one of two cheap plastic tabs broke, hence only left turns and the floppy stalk.

Now the first question: How do I remove the stalk? I disconnected the cruise wiring but I cannot figure out how to remove the rest of the wiring and the stalk - no visible screws and the shop manual is very vague.

Basically the thing the stalk actuates is broke. I assume I will have to replace the entire stalk - oh goodie, more $$.

Thanks for the help! I am sure I will have more questions.

Dale

Old 04-17-2005, 04:44 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I had this exact problem. It's a pain in the ***, ain't it?

Ok... remove the entire column. I am dead serious. It's much easier to work on this with the column on a vice. Besides, you will want to replace the tilt wheel pins, too. Might as well replace everything in there! This means, you shouldn't have to mess with it.

I am trying to remember exactly how I did this, but I did do a tech tip.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=264&TopicID=2

I appologize for the horrid formatting. I had it nice and neat, the program hosed it up. You may want to cut/paste it into a word processor and hit enter after each numbered step.

The process is rather easy once the column is out.

oh, and the MFS isn't plastic! It's white metal.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the reply, bogus!

I saw your tech tip but was hoping that I did not have to remove everything. I am stuck in an apartment so room for a bench and vise is a little hard to come by. I would like to fix the play in the tilt too but same problem.

Even if I did have the column on a bench, how would I take the lever off? The manual makes no mention in text or pictures of any screws holding the stalk on - or do I have to completly take everything apart to even get that far.

Thx

Dale
Old 04-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Nevermind. I re-read your techtip and just pulled the stalk out while praying that nothing broke. It worked.

More questions:
1) Can the gizmo that broke be replaced by itself or am I going to have to buy a $100+ assembly with the stalk and all?

2) You wouldn't happen to have a part number on the tilt rebuild kit?

Any ideas?

I really do not want to pull the column, but I probably should to fix the sloppy tilt wheel. Damn more things to keep me from driving the car - oh well

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2005, 07:02 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

There are a couple of part numbers for the tilt rebuild... yours is the "early" style. The transistion occurred during the 1992 model year.

The MFS is the component... it does NOT include the stalk. And, sadly, it is about $100.00... more if I remember rightly.

I suggest you call Chris May at Superior Chevy first thing tomorrow, 1.800.728.8267.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Bringing this post back from the dead for an update.

The column is back together and everything is great. I got the parts from Superior. I am amazed at how firm the tilt system is after replacing the pins - wow. The turn signal is still a little weird feeling compared to other GM cars but since everything is new it must be normal. An unintended plus is that my horn buttons work better now - they were always a little iffy.

The tech-tip was a great help!

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by bogus
There are a couple of part numbers for the tilt rebuild... yours is the "early" style. The transistion occurred during the 1992 model year.

The MFS is the component... it does NOT include the stalk. And, sadly, it is about $100.00... more if I remember rightly.

I suggest you call Chris May at Superior Chevy first thing tomorrow, 1.800.728.8267.

Bogus. Great, and timely, tech tip. Mine broke over the week-end. Is the broken part what is referred to as the "switch asm. pivot & (pulse)" in the GM service manual?

Get notified of new replies

To [90-L98] Broken Multi-function switch

Quick Reply: [90-L98] Broken Multi-function switch