C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HotCam - Dowel Pin length

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default HotCam - Dowel Pin length

Since I didn't do the install myself and I now have the cam for sale (in the parts for sale section) I have a question. It is my understanding that the dowel pin length for '92-94 and '95-96 are different. Now since the Hot cam is sold for all LT1/4's is the pin adjustable? Push/pull? I don't want to sell it to someone if it won't work in their application. Any of you that installed it yourself know the answer? Thanks!

BTW, the cam is at Precision Porting in Florida so I can't see it at the moment. I sent it there to be inspected to make sure it was A-okay before selling it.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
Since I didn't do the install myself and I now have the cam for sale (in the parts for sale section) I have a question. It is my understanding that the dowel pin length for '92-94 and '95-96 are different. Now since the Hot cam is sold for all LT1/4's is the pin adjustable? Push/pull? I don't want to sell it to someone if it won't work in their application. Any of you that installed it yourself know the answer? Thanks!

BTW, the cam is at Precision Porting in Florida so I can't see it at the moment. I sent it there to be inspected to make sure it was A-okay before selling it.
Adjustable? No. Replaceable? Yes. Both cams I have put in my '96 both had a cam dowel pin length of .620" exposed.

I had to replace the dowel pin in my last cam because it was too short to work with the Opti. I used a hammer-slide to get the old pin out and pushed a new one in that I bought from GM.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Zix
Adjustable? No. Replaceable? Yes. Both cams I have put in my '96 both had a cam dowel pin length of .620" exposed.

I had to replace the dowel pin in my last cam because it was too short to work with the Opti. I used a hammer-slide to get the old pin out and pushed a new one in that I bought from GM.
.620"
Now if it is too short, but still is inside the Opti drive section, it whould be okay?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steve40th
.620"
Now if it is too short, but still is inside the Opti drive section, it whould be okay?
Well, maybe. The problem I had is if you look at where the dowel pin enters the Opti, you'll see that it has a beveled edge. My previous cam pin was only about .515" exposed which would have put it in the opti, but barely past the beveled edge. Not nearly enough to make me feel confident putting it together like that! Especially on an engine that I plan on spinning to 7000+!

You'll just have to measure how much of the pin is actually in the Opti and see if you are comfortable with it.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Zix
Well, maybe. The problem I had is if you look at where the dowel pin enters the Opti, you'll see that it has a beveled edge. My previous cam pin was only about .515" exposed which would have put it in the opti, but barely past the beveled edge. Not nearly enough to make me feel confident putting it together like that! Especially on an engine that I plan on spinning to 7000+!

You'll just have to measure how much of the pin is actually in the Opti and see if you are comfortable with it.
Good points. The reason I ask is some cam companies send them with it out too far, and you have to cut or drive it back in, and if you go to far, well. Mine was about half way in the opti , as I was able to see marks where it was touching. And it was about .620"
Old 05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steve40th
Good points. The reason I ask is some cam companies send them with it out too far, and you have to cut or drive it back in, and if you go to far, well. Mine was about half way in the opti , as I was able to see marks where it was touching. And it was about .620"
The dowel shouldn't go all the way in the Opti...about 2/3rds of the way if I remember right...but it may even be less than that. As long as the cam dowel pin has enough bite it'll be fine.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

So I'm taking it that it should work in either application. Does anyone know which is normally shorter or longer stock? Earlier or later? I know I don't want it to long (on my new one) because if the pin pushes into the back of the opti it'll wear it out prematurely.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

So I'm taking it that it should work in either application. Does anyone know which is normally shorter or longer stock? Earlier or later? I know I don't want it to long (on my new one) because if the pin pushes into the back of the opti it'll wear it out prematurely.
Well, the pre-92 (L98 etc) engines had a shorter dowel because they did not have to drive the opti. I believe of the LT engines, that the 92-94 had a slightly shorter dowel length, but I'd have to check on that. As for hitting the back of the Opti, unless you're at around .850" inch exposed you won't have an issue, and at that point the dowel should be noticably large!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:48 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Okay. Then it should be good to go. I have the measurement around here some where but after the move up here from Texas, I'm not quite sure where. Bob said he'd check it for me tomorrow, but I'm thinking it was near .585 or something near there.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Okay. Then it should be good to go. I have the measurement around here some where but after the move up here from Texas, I'm not quite sure where. Bob said he'd check it for me tomorrow, but I'm thinking it was near .585 or something near there.
.585" should be okay. Do you have the engine out of the car? There is a pretty easy way to visually check the dowel pin length if you do. If it's in the car it may be a bit more difficult!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zix
.585" should be okay. Do you have the engine out of the car? There is a pretty easy way to visually check the dowel pin length if you do. If it's in the car it may be a bit more difficult!
The engine (at least the block) is still in the car. The cam on the other hand is in Florida. (take it you didn't read the whole thread. )
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

The engine (at least the block) is still in the car. The cam on the other hand is in Florida. (take it you didn't read the whole thread. )
Whoops! I just caught that part...well then in your case it's going to be extremely difficult!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:20 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zix
Whoops! I just caught that part...well then in your case it's going to be extremely difficult!!
Actually, Bob is going to check it so I know how long the one on my new cam needs to be.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Zix
Well, the pre-92 (L98 etc) engines had a shorter dowel because they did not have to drive the opti. I believe of the LT engines, that the 92-94 had a slightly shorter dowel length, but I'd have to check on that. As for hitting the back of the Opti, unless you're at around .850" inch exposed you won't have an issue, and at that point the dowel should be noticably large!
The early LT1s don't drive the opti by the pin. There's an adapter on the cam gear that drives it. The pin length requirement for them is around .320" if I remember right.

Get notified of new replies

To HotCam - Dowel Pin length

Quick Reply: HotCam - Dowel Pin length