C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed these EM headers about 4 weeks ago. They really are very nice.

Here's my original post on some of the items you may consider before installation... HERE
You'll have to scroll down to my post...

But I'll post the text...
----------------------------------------------------
I just installed the EM headers on my '96 auto a couple weeks ago.
Very nice pieces.

Here are some installation notes:

1. The AIR injection tube on the passenger side was impossible to fit (the EMs relocate the fitting about an 1-1/2" rearward). It's probably me, but I was unable to bend it enough to make up the slack. A tubing bender may help you in this area.

2. This only applies to auto trannys.... If you get the extensions from EM... THEY WON'T FIT BECAUSE OF THE FLANGE. With the flange eliminated (i.e. weld the two pieces together), the fit is terrific. If the flange was relocated about 3" rearward then they would fit fine.

3. A stock Felpro LT1 exhaust gasket (don't have the number off hand) doesn't have enough meat to cover the 1-3/4" opening of the header. A Mr.Gasket Ultra Seal for an LT1 has plenty of material and does the job right.

4. Header bolts... It all depends on how lazy you are. I'm really lazy so I spent the cash and bought the Breslin Split-locks. Several hundred miles, a couple dozen heat cycles later and no leaks. Install and forget.
Still, options are available. The Stage 8 bolts (the ones with the clips) look like a monster test of patience to install on a C-4. This would probably be a one time deal as well.
The last is any standard bolt and a split-lock washer. This is less certain and may require retorquing the bolt a few times during the initial heat cycles. Fine if you like disassembling wheel-well shrouds and ASR throttle assembly.
Also.. the flange on the EM headers is 3/8". I'd recommend a 1" header bolt. All mine threaded in fine.

5. Exotic Muscle is very thoughtful in providing two spacers that will be needed. The first is for the two struts that attach the A/C - alternator bracket to the 3rd exhaust stud from the front on the driver's side. You'll have to use the stock bolt on this hole.
The other is intended for the oil dipstick on the passenger side. My dipstick reinstalled quite well so I didn't use the stock bolt with the EM spacer. I did, however, slice the second EM spacer to fit the gap between the alternator and supporting bracket due to necessary elimination of the strut that goes from the alternator to the first exhaust stud on the driver's side. You can't keep that strut (I wanted to).
As long as you have the two struts supporting the A/C-alternator bracket you shouldn't have any vibration problem (although I've only tested it to 6700rpm).

6. Spark plug wires... It is absolutely necessary to replace the 180 degree boot wire on the #7 cylinder (I also recommend it for #8) with 90 degree boots.
I was running some Taylor Spiro-Pros so I ordered up the same style for a '96 Camaro (these are all 90 degree boots). The fit is fine (I only replaced #7 & #8 since you have to remove the serpentine belt and tensioner to access the Opti for #7).

7. This is noted in the EM installation instructions but is a MUST! You will have to invert the driver's side engine bracket bolt (the horizontal one....not the vertical fluid dampner bolt to the frame). This was easy with two people and a jack. It would be very tough on your own. Bring a friend.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will give people some items to consider BEFORE installation. It should help the frustration factor.

BTW... EM headers + extensions (no cats) + stock resonator - mufflers + LT4 heads + Hotcam + 6700rpm = HELLA LOUD! But fairly mild compared to the 15 miles I drove it with straight headers to the exhaust shop (stupid flanges)

EDIT: Just found my Summit Racing receipt for the Felpro gaskets... FPP-1470. No good with the EM's.

EDIT #2: Just remembered.... It's a very good idea to "test fit" the wrench or socket you plan to use on the header bolts while the headers are off. I did this by placing the header bolt through the flange, moving it as close to the header tube as possible (the mounting holes have some room) and trying to fit the wrench. I did have to bang out some (very minor) clearance on the #1 tube.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have long tube headers no cats and Corsa exaust on my LT4. This set up sounds incredible. I don't think it is bothersome at all at cruze. sounds exotic or maby a little snappy not deep or growly like flows do and at WOT you will turn heads but not in a obnoxious way. Very menising sound
Old 06-11-2005, 08:09 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Parker '96
I installed these EM headers about 4 weeks ago. They really are very nice.

Here's my original post on some of the items you may consider before installation... HERE
You'll have to scroll down to my post...

But I'll post the text...
Thanks. Had read your other post and printed it out already. Looks like it will be very helpful.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently have a set of Hooker Shorties installed and I used a s/s allen socket head bolt for my header bolts. Using an allen wrench 3/8 drive socket made for an easy install and torqueing. When I install these EM Headers, I hope to be able to use the same header bolts. I can't see why you couldn't install all the A/C alt brackets, except that maybe the tubes won't allow them to fit. I just love a challenge.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

There was on A/C-Alternator bracket we couldn't use. One of the header tubes was right in the way...

I can't wait to get mine!!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
jdawgC4
Intermediate

Are there any headers left for the $671 deal?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

I would call them. They don't look here very often. They're great to deal with.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
jdawgC4
Intermediate

Does anybody use this setup: Headers, no cats, to stock cat back but welding in some new mufflers. Any opinions on how this would sound/perform? I know how to tig weld so that isnt a concern.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 08:26 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Has anybody received their headers yet????
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I was told they were getting ready to ship them yesterday. I haven't heard anything for sure yet either though.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Lv2xlr8
Advanced

I talked with Merle today at around 4:30pm. He sead the headers will be shipped out late this week. I'm guessing friday.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

I just got the Fedex Tracking numbers. They are on the way!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I called two weeks ago. Merle said they would ship by this week. Still waiting for tracking numbers.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:32 AM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwt1603
I called two weeks ago. Merle said they would ship by this week. Still waiting for tracking numbers.
They (EM) had a set listed on eBay, whose auction ended a couple of days ago. I'd have thought they'd have the headers "in-hand".
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimbomill
They (EM) had a set listed on eBay, whose auction ended a couple of days ago. I'd have thought they'd have the headers "in-hand".
The previous quoted stated he called a "couple of weeks ago". I'm sure a couple of days ago they did have them "in-hand" as I was told they did.

They run them off in batches of 20. Sell the first 10 to forum members at a discount and then try to sell the rest. "Maybe" they e-bay the ones forum members don't buy? I don't know, but I have had ZERO problems with EM up to this point.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
I don't know, but I have had ZERO problems with EM up to this point.
I wasn't implying I was having problems with them. When I ordered them Merle said it would be a while before they were ready. He was very helpful answering my questions. When I called him two weeks ago it was just to get an update and start planning the installation.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
The previous quoted stated he called a "couple of weeks ago". I'm sure a couple of days ago they did have them "in-hand" as I was told they did.

They run them off in batches of 20. Sell the first 10 to forum members at a discount and then try to sell the rest. "Maybe" they e-bay the ones forum members don't buy? I don't know, but I have had ZERO problems with EM up to this point.
Oops, let me qualify - Merle said this particular eBay set was due to a Forum member having to cancel. That said, I would think that the other sets were available and shipped prior to the eBay listing. It is possible that EM timed the eBay add to complete with the completion of the fabrication of the headers too.

Get notified of new replies

To EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP

Old 08-03-2005, 07:07 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Got mine yesterday. Now if the rest of the parts will get here, I can start putting it all back together!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

I got mine, too. Now I just need Cats, and I can install them and my new Corsa/Magnaflow exhaust.....
Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

ttt

Quick Reply: EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP