C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Engine rebuilt and no oil to top end of engine. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

If he ran it for FIFTEEN minutes I would not think a primer would do anything it should be primed.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:12 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the engine running for that long, oil should not only be everywhre in the motor, but oil temps should certainly have been to normal and heat should have softened any remaining material and at least allowed some oil flow. But if the plugs were not installed, oil could be running right out of the gallery and back into the pan.

If there was no oil to the lifter gallery, the lifters should have run dry and you would have heard some clatter from the empty lifters. When you removed the lifters, did you check them to see if there was any indication of wear due to lack of oil. Did you check to see if the lifter had oil in it. You can try to push down on the cup that the pushrod sets in; if there is resistance, there is oil in there.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RamjetVette
I think based on all the comments above, my next steps are to get the priming tool and give that a go.
Originally Posted by 90Indy
I think your idea of trying to prime and see the results is the most logical way to approach the problem.
The priming tool is a total waste of time at this point. There is NO logic to this approach. What do you expect the oil pump will do, being spun by a power drill motor, that it wouldn't have done, being powered by the engine for 15 minutes??? No logic at all!

If the oil galleys were open at the front of the block, the oil pressure would have been quite low. Were the lifters banging? If the lifters were quiet, about the only thing that makes sense is that the push rods are plugged up. It seems very unlikely that all 16 would become plugged at once.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:52 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
If the lifters were quiet, about the only thing that makes sense is that the push rods are plugged up. It seems very unlikely that all 16 would become plugged at once.

RACE ON!!!
Check the push rods for a block. Doubtful that all 16 are blocked, but you need to start eliminating possibilities.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say its one of the plugs in the oilgallies that did not get replaced. More than likely the machine shop pulled it for cleaning and did not replace it..

Quick Reply: L98 Engine rebuilt and no oil to top end of engine. Ideas?