C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New '87 owner with q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
JCBahr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '87 owner with q's

Just picked up my '87 on the 30th of June. This is the first I have ever owned. It has low miles (77K) on an LT1 motor. Exterior is in great shape. Interior has several needed changes. I will also be replacing the wheels and rubber.

I am looking for suggestions on wheel sizes, it still has the original 16" on it. Also, running 255/50 zr 16's on all four corners. Is this the optimum street sport combination?

Is there a digital to analog conversion for the dash?

Where should I look for new seats?

Many switches need replacement. The window motors are slow at best. Need guidance here.

The antenna retracts only 2/3 the way and sticks. Can I replace that and have no antenna or a short permanant one?

I am very excited to be an owner of this fine vehicle. A former DEA car, in dark red, that still has the hidden lights and sirens. Not to mention it's fenominal performance abilities.

A friend of mine races a C5 in New York and I get advice from him as well as, recommendations for mechanics/ parts. But I know the drivers and owners are the ones with the road expierence. That is why I am asking all of this here.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

JC
Old 07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the Forum.

Say what? A tricked out DEA car? That's more then a little interesting. I am stunned they didn't remove the lights and siren.

LT1? That sure ain't stock. The stock motor is an L98.

Converting from digital to analog is doable: Digital to Analog Conversion

1987 has a different suspension then later models, as such, you can use later rims, buy you MUST add spacers. 17" or 18" would look good.

New seats? You have some choices here... check the salvage yards, www.corvettesalvage.com and www.contemporarycorvette.com for used seats that are servicable enough to refinish. The seat rails on these cars are junk.

Slow window motor = buy new motor.

You can replace just the antenna mast.

Take a few minutes and read the C4 Tech FAQ

For parts, call Chris May at Superior Chevy, 1.800.728.8267. Tell him you are a forum member and that I sent ya.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
Slow window motor = buy new motor.
Not always. C4s have a tendency to screw up the power wire to the motors over time with constant opening and closing of the door. Verify that that wire is not corroduded, crimped badly, or anything else and then proceed with replacement if need be.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Try and lube the antena. Mine sticks if I neglect it.

Get notified of new replies

To New '87 owner with q's

Quick Reply: New '87 owner with q's