C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default AC question

I have an 85 vette and tried to use the AC this evening and noticed some smoke. Raised the hood and the compressor clutch was slipping and smoke was coming from it. Anybody know what makes this happen. If it needs a new compressor clutch, as I suspect, can it be changed without taking the compressor off and losing my freon? Anybody ever changed one of these clutches? Thanks...Joe
Old 07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compressor clutch and coil can be changed without removing the compressor or losing freon. A couple of special tools are required to do the job. I'm wondering though if your compressor is locking up. The clutch is engaging but the compressor shaft is not turning, thus the smoke and the slipping clutch.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ac question

Actually, the ac was working and putting out cold air but I left the car running for a while while I was messing with another car. When I came back to it the ac clutch was smoking. I let it cool off and later took it for a ride and noticed the ac was putting out cool air again. I didn't leave it on very long. So I know the compressor is not locked up...Joe
Old 07-23-2005, 01:04 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes they'll slip a little bit before seizing up. Check the distance or clearance between the outer hub and the pulley. Should be .020. If it's too great, it can slip and will usually make a pretty good bang when it engages.

Get notified of new replies

To AC question

Quick Reply: AC question