C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with what brand ignition parts to buy please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:46 PM
tivette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help with what brand ignition parts to buy please!

I'm planning to freshen up the ignition next weekend and want to get the parts ordered, so I'm looking for suggestions here. The car is a bone stock '85 4+3 and may have some limited mods in the future. I was thinking of going with:

AC Delco plugs (is there a suggestion here other than the standard part #)
MSD wires
Hpertech power coil,cap and rotor
SOME brand of new ignition module - is Accel OK?

Please let me know if this sounds good or if I should be looking at some other brands - I'd like to get the parts ordered up. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

For plugs, I like the NGK TR-55's. Keep in mind I have an LT1 in the stock heat range, though... I've never used the AC/Delcos.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
vettefun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the same combo minus the accel ignition. No complaints here. You can also gap your plugs a little more with the HyperTech SuperCoil. On my '86 I used the AC Delco Rapidfire #5's and gapped them at .045.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
pwrful c4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onedef92
For plugs, I like the NGK TR-55's. Keep in mind I have an LT1 in the stock heat range, though... I've never used the AC/Delcos.
Also yoyr other choices are good.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Z51L9889
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tivette
I'm planning to freshen up the ignition next weekend and want to get the parts ordered, so I'm looking for suggestions here. The car is a bone stock '85 4+3 and may have some limited mods in the future. I was thinking of going with:

AC Delco plugs (is there a suggestion here other than the standard part #)
MSD wires
Hpertech power coil,cap and rotor
SOME brand of new ignition module - is Accel OK?

Please let me know if this sounds good or if I should be looking at some other brands - I'd like to get the parts ordered up. Thanks!
I have the Hypertech coil setup in my '89. I've been very happy with it. I would suggest AC Rapidfire plugs over normal OE replacements. I saw an improvement in both idle quality and mileage by using Rapidfires when my motor was stock.

As far as the ignition module goes, an Accel unit will work just fine but it's overkill for a stock engine IMO. I've used both and there's no noticeable difference between the two.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:57 PM
tivette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys - so I'm going with the MSD wires, Hypertech coil, cap, and rotor, AC Delco rapid fires, and looks like I'll just stay with the Accel module - maybe it will hold up better under the heat than the stock unit...

Any preference on where to order the stuff from? I was going to go with Jeg's...
Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 PM
hogs29
Instructor

I would also agree with the Rapid Fire plugs. So far, they're the only plug I've ever installed in which I've noticed a difference. As for wires, I personally would shy away from the MSD ones. It's not that I don't like MSD, but I had a set of both MSD and Accel wires in my '78 Camaro, and both sets were very, very sensative to rain. Caused the engine to skip whenever it rained, the Accel's were a lot worse though. AC Delco makes performance wires that have worked great for me, rain or not. And they're the same 8mm wires that everymanufacturer is going with now. You can get 9mm wires, but ferom what I've heard, they don't much of a difference in a street car, even a strong one.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with what brand ignition parts to buy please!

Quick Reply: Need help with what brand ignition parts to buy please!