C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto Xray scanner (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto Xray scanner (long)

I have an Auto Xray EZ Scan 3000 for OBD 1 systems. It will only scan with "key on, engine off". I tried to scan with the engine running and it will not recognize the cars ECM. You can here the idle change a little when you plug it in with the engine running. I assume the cars ECM is going into the "diagnostic" mode as soon as the connection is made. I called Auto XRay and they said their scanners do not support GM OBD 1 with the engine running, just "key on, engine off" mode. Guess I wasted some $$ on this thing. Whats puzzling is the read out I get when I scan with the engine not running. It shows data as if it were running: rpm-644, 02-408mv, 02 cross counts-36, block learn-155,BLK LRN cell-1, iac-144 steps, spark advance-19.9, knock sensor-26, inj pulse-1.70 mS, mass air flow- 23 gr/sec, rich lean flag-lean, loop status -open. Are these readings what the ECM on the car stored from the last engine run? Whatever, I need to diagnose my high N0x problem and it doesn't look like this Auto Xray unit is going to do what I had hoped( scan in real time with the engine running). Anyone else have any experience with Auto Xray on OBD 1??
Edit: Moderator-------- I think I should have posted this in "scan and tune". Any way to move it over there?

Last edited by SS409 425HP; 08-17-2005 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Wrong area
Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS409 425HP
I have an Auto Xray EZ Scan 3000 for OBD 1 systems. It will only scan with "key on, engine off". I tried to scan with the engine running and it will not recognize the cars ECM. You can here the idle change a little when you plug it in with the engine running. I assume the cars ECM is going into the "diagnostic" mode as soon as the connection is made. I called Auto XRay and they said their scanners do not support GM OBD 1 with the engine running, just "key on, engine off" mode. Guess I wasted some $$ on this thing. Whats puzzling is the read out I get when I scan with the engine not running. It shows data as if it were running: rpm-644, 02-408mv, 02 cross counts-36, block learn-155,BLK LRN cell-1, iac-144 steps, spark advance-19.9, knock sensor-26, inj pulse-1.70 mS, mass air flow- 23 gr/sec, rich lean flag-lean, loop status -open. Are these readings what the ECM on the car stored from the last engine run? Whatever, I need to diagnose my high N0x problem and it doesn't look like this Auto Xray unit is going to do what I had hoped( scan in real time with the engine running). Anyone else have any experience with Auto Xray on OBD 1??
Mine shows running info just fine. Are you sure you don't have a mis communication with the vendor? I'm a little rough on the details, but after starting, I could either read a snapshot, or look at streaming info. I used to have problems staying connected, but that went away when I replaced my ECU.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

What year is your car? Mine is a 1987.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

What year is your car? Mine is a 1987.
Mine's an 89...the relevant question I guess, is which AutoXray I've got...I think yours is newer, and would assume it'd do something mine did.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

I went online and downloaded the latest software to my PC and then did another download to the scanner with the latest "tool" software. Still doesn't work with the engine running. The guy I talked to at Auto Xray seemed like a sales type person. I could hear him in the background asking a tech about my problem. I asked him specifically if this scanner would work with the engine running and he said no ------ it did not support GM OBD 1 with the engine running. I tried several times and it will not scan with the engine running. As soon as I plug it in, the idle goes a little higher which I assume is caused by the cars ECM going into "diagnostic" mode which sets a predetermined idle speed and spark advance.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that sounds about right. IIRC, there's a MON key that you press, after it connects, you select the rightmost button and select something like 'stream'.

I forget, I'll look into it tonight. You MAY be running into a problem where the equipment is so outta date that the folks that make it don't HAVE firsthand experience anymore.

You can tell when it's talking because the fuel calculation stuff on the dash goes away too.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

The OBD-1 needs a 10k resistor between pins A & B to start the diagnostics communication.
I have a very old OBD 1 AutoXray, and a newer OBD-2 one.
I had the same problem with the newer one, checked A & B when I hit the scan button and the old one flashed 10K across A&B the newer one did not.
You might try jumpering a 10k resistor somehow (across A&B) and see if the commucation starts. I never bothered to try because I had the old one around.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

On my 1992 my AutoXray EZ scan 3000 works fine when running. I also upgraded the scanner so it now also works on OBD2.

Are you 1st hitting the scan button?

Steven
Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
On my 1992 my AutoXray EZ scan 3000 works fine when running. I also upgraded the scanner so it now also works on OBD2.

Steven
Ditto on my 87/L98. Works just fine, and with new software and connector works on new OBD2 also...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine works - key on or running, but I have a heck of time getting it to communicate sometimes. Often I have to bend, wiggle the cable, plug it in and then unplug it and after the upteenth try, it works. I just figured that I spent so much time jamming paperclips in the Diagnostic Link that I've spread the terminals too far. Who knows - worked fine on all my other OBD 1 cars.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't help with the AutoXray, But high NOx is the result of excessive combution temps. Make sure your timing is set to spec and then check out the EGR valve. The purpose of the EGR is NOx emissions.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

Originally Posted by STEVEN13

Steven
I hit the "scan" button with the engine running. After a few seconds, I get a "vehicle not responding" message. I discovered if I hit the "data" button, a menu appears with three choices; 1-operational data, 2-trouble codes, 4-EZ-PC. I chose 1(operational data) and get a message that says "initializing, please wait". After a few seconds I can see data(four lines at a time due to screen size). I can scroll down thru the list to the last item (41) which is "Loop Status". If I hit the "mon" button, the item number that is highlighted will flash and read "real time" for that individual item.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I can't help with the AutoXray, But high NOx is the result of excessive combution temps. Make sure your timing is set to spec and then check out the EGR valve. The purpose of the EGR is NOx emissions.

RACE ON!!!
I just installed a new EGR valve two days ago. The ports in the intake manifold were fairly clean. I checked the EGR vacuum solenoid per my Helms manual and it checked ok. I reset the timing down to 4 degrees (was at 8 degrees). Didn't change the N0x reading at all. The Hc and Co readings were well within the allowable limit. The only thing I have changed since my test two years ago was a new main cat (catco 9118). I gutted the precats due to the R/H side rattling inside.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Contact AutoXray...

Edit: Moderator-------- I think I should have posted this in "scan and tune". Any way to move it over there?
Mine works fine on OBD-I, static and running.

P.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:55 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I hit the "scan" button with the engine running. After a few seconds, I get a "vehicle not responding" message. I discovered if I hit the "data" button, a menu appears with three choices; 1-operational data, 2-trouble codes, 4-EZ-PC. I chose 1(operational data) and get a message that says "initializing, please wait". After a few seconds I can see data(four lines at a time due to screen size). I can scroll down thru the list to the last item (41) which is "Loop Status". If I hit the "mon" button, the item number that is highlighted will flash and read "real time" for that individual item.
Mine will also work if I put in another year. Make sure it is configured for your car and check the batteries in the scanner.

If it still does not work try configuring with another year. Also call Autoxray and demand to speak to someone in tech.

Good luck,

Steven
Old 08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I just installed a new EGR valve two days ago. The ports in the intake manifold were fairly clean. I checked the EGR vacuum solenoid per my Helms manual and it checked ok. I reset the timing down to 4 degrees (was at 8 degrees). Didn't change the N0x reading at all. The Hc and Co readings were well within the allowable limit. The only thing I have changed since my test two years ago was a new main cat (catco 9118). I gutted the precats due to the R/H side rattling inside.
I'd say, that based on the above, there is little doubt where the problem lies. Even with the scanner at 100%, THIS problem won't show up on it.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
joe3906
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the EZ Scan 3000, and it works fine while the car is running. It will even tell me when I turn my AC on, it will indicate if the AC clutch is off, or engaged. As my father used to tell me RTFM. Can anyone help out with the acronym?

Joe B.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Xray scanner (long)

Quick Reply: Auto Xray scanner (long)