C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why all this Tweaking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Frankj
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why all this Tweaking?

OK guys... I gotta ask this question. Its keeps buggin me why we all need to do so much tweaking, scanning, and burning etc. If someone were to tell me that 1985 Corvettes never ever ran right out of the factory (Or other years as well) Then I can see why all this is necessary. On the other hand, If they did in fact run right...Why dont they now?. I keep wanting to think that somehow I'm just masking a problem by trying to reburn proms etc for a car that I would think should have run properly in the first place. Why doesnt the ECM do what its supposed to do if all the sensors etc are working properly?
I know there were some issues with the first prom used in these cars, but there was an upgrade available that supposedly fixed the issues. I guess the bottom line here is...Does anyone on this forum have an 85 with the newer chip installed that does indeed run properly..Passes emissions, and does what its supposed to do? Because if there is then mine should as well, without goin through all this misery. Id be interested on your thoughts... Thx Frank
Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You scan to see what the engine is doing, to see what if any parameters are not as they should be, such as for fault codes or driveability problems. As to weather they were programed right from the factory....they were programed to meet emissions standards of the day within the boundries that mass production could allow. Each and every engine down the assembly line was different and can be tweaked to get maximum performance/fuel economy. Auto makers have neither the desire, time or money to fine tune each individual engine.
This doesn't even take into consideratin a modified engine...whole nother story there.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think men are born with the want or need to just f**K with things I think for the most part the guys here that tweak with the chips, have modified engines that need tweaking to optimize the performance of their combinations. Otherwise there are some lost ponies to be found in a stock calibration that can be had if the chip is programmed correctly. Like the previous member said, every car is a bit different. The factory will have engine cals that are virtually the same for the model year with the exception of different transmission and gear ratio combinations.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:09 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I got into it because I replaced my failing injectors with slightly larger ones to save a buck, ECM did all it could and it ran OK, but I knew it was not optimized e.g. loss of throttle response. After getting the fueling in line, just tweaked a few other things like fan on/off temps, TCC lock-up speed relative to TPS to eliminate low speed bog and shudder, timing tables to reduce spark retard.

At the end of the day, it runs better, cooler, and more comfortable for my driving style than when stock.

No major mods but if I ever do I'll have all the tools I need for future optimization. Plus, I just like f!@#ing with things, especially programming.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:58 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Speed density cars do a lousy job of maintaining the proper A/F on a car that is even modestly modified. MAF cars have a bigger fudge factor.

Get notified of new replies

To Why all this Tweaking?

Quick Reply: Why all this Tweaking?