C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need help identifying my engine casting/year

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I need help identifying my engine casting/year

I was doing my new Vigilante install today, and saw these numbers behind the flex plate. Here they are...

H13

Any ideas? These numbers are on block right behind the flex plate. There is reason to doubt that the wrong motor was installed into my 86 when the previous owner owned it, and these are the only numbers I could find. I hope you guys have some ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check this link out.These are for remanufactured engines.The number 638 shows up a few times.Scroll down and see what they used it for.Hope this helps some.

http://remanufactured.com/Chevrolet_...V8_Engines.htm
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
Check this link out.These are for remanufactured engines.The number 638 shows up a few times.Scroll down and see what they used it for.Hope this helps some.

http://remanufactured.com/Chevrolet_...V8_Engines.htm
The thing is that I think the engine installer installed a 4 bolt main roller motor into it. This leads me to believe it may even have wrong cam possibly. That site does have many 638 blocks, but I saw roller and non-roller blocks with 638. I wish I knew if the numbers I found could identify the type of block.

Last edited by darkman5001; 10-01-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:53 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Does anyone else have any knowledge on these numbers?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:21 AM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might take a look at www.mortec.com. They have block casting numbers that might help. The numbers you posted are too short to be true block casting numbers. On mortec's site there are links to show where the actual casting numbers are. In most cases it's on the driver's side rear of the block, right behind the head. You might check out their location information on their site and check your engine and then their listings of casting numbers to see if it helps. I would check my book of block casting numbers, but I left it at work! Good luck!
Brad
Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1987C4
In most cases it's on the driver's side rear of the block, right behind the head.
Thats where I found this number. It is stamped on the back of the drivers side of block. I saw it while preparing to install my vigilante converter. The number was visible looking through the flexplate.

I would check my book of block casting numbers, but I left it at work! Good luck!
Brad
Let me know what your book at home says if you get some time. Thanks man.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by darkman5001
Thats where I found this number.
That ISN'T where you "found this number", If you read it "looking through the flexplate.". The number he is referring to, is "on the driver's side rear of the block, right behind the head." It is on a horizontal surface facing up and to the left. It is just behind the head and can be read with the bell housing and transmission bolted to the block. It will be a 7 digit number, starting with a "3".

RACE ON!!!

PS. Just in case you have some kind of an odd ball there, and it only has 6 digits, and even if it doesn't start with a 3, it may still be valid. Forget what you saw, "stamped on the rear", and only supply cast numbers. Stampng numbers are stamped. In order to look up casting numbers, you need numbers that were...

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 10-03-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks CFI-EFI, you did a much better job in describing where it's located. I need to learn to be a bit more specific in my descriptions.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
That ISN'T where you "found this number", If you read it "looking through the flexplate.". The number he is referring to, is "on the driver's side rear of the block, right behind the head." It is on a horizontal surface facing up and to the left. It is just behind the head and can be read with the bell housing and transmission bolted to the block. It will be a 7 digit number, starting with a "3".

RACE ON!!!

PS. Just in case you have some kind of an odd ball there, and it only has 6 digits, and even if it doesn't start with a 3, it may still be valid. Forget what you saw, "stamped on the rear", and only supply cast numbers. Stampng numbers are stamped. In order to look up casting numbers, you need numbers that were...
The numbers I found are on the back of the block. I have a pic. They look just like this when looking at it.

H13

I have yet to findd any other numbers on the block, except I think I found a 3 digit number stamped to block on the passenger side in front of starter. There is also a sticker on the block saying that it is a Jarco remanufactuedengine, but that's all I can find. It would be alot easier if someone could take a pic of where it is on the small blocks, and post it or email it to me. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There has to be a cast number where CFI-EFI said unless someone has ground it off.
All blocks come with come sort of identification from the foundry.This # is only a guide as the one casting may be used in several applications.
For instance the sort after "010" block was used for Hp and trucks , 2 +4 bolt.
Any other # you can see are generally foundary production codes, date , etc.
The block casting # is the only one of any relevence when trying to identify a block unless the factory production code # are still visible stamped on the machined pad at the front of the block (horizontal) under the A/c unit.That 3 lettert code will tell year , Hp ,original vehicle.

"The thing is that I think the engine installer installed a 4 bolt main roller motor into it. This leads me to believe it may even have wrong cam possibly. That site does have many 638 blocks, but I saw roller and non-roller blocks with 638."

Is the crankshaft flange where the flexplate bolts to round or is it squared off?
If not perfectly round is not late model ,1 piece seal , roller cam block.

Last edited by rodj; 10-04-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:54 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out.
www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html

Get notified of new replies

To I need help identifying my engine casting/year

Quick Reply: I need help identifying my engine casting/year