C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken Dipstick Tube

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:36 AM
q2blaster@work
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Dipstick Tube

Im in thr middle of my header install, and I broke my oil dipstick tube off flush with the block, anybody know an easy way of getting it out. Im sure I could drive it down and then pull the pan and get it but thats a last resort.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be able to get it out from the top-it's a tight fit with a flange on top-so I wouldn't want to try driving it down.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you use an EZ out, like you would use for a broken bolt?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kalister1
Can you use an EZ out, like you would use for a broken bolt?

I would definitely try something like this first before pulling the pan

Last edited by mseven; 10-24-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
q2blaster@work
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ez out

Ill try the ez out, mine didnt have a flange lip on it, all the dipsticks ive seen had the flange to seat against the block excepy this one.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Smack it down into the pan and forget about it. No need to remove it. It is too big to get sucked up and too small to matter. Think of it like the little marble in the spray paint can.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.

I had to remove the oil pan and drive mine out to remove the remenant.

Clean the block & new tube with brake parts cleaner and use some black RTV on the shaft to seal before inserting it into the block.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.

I had to remove the oil pan and drive mine out to remove the remenant.

Clean the block & new tube with brake parts cleaner and use some black RTV on the shaft to seal before inserting it into the block.
Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I would not be comfortable with it either. If I had a choice between spending my sunday playing with an oil pan, or driving the car/riding the hog/spending quality time with family or anything else important, "I" would smack it into the pan and move on. Most mechanics would also do the same. Choice is clearly his.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a stainless flex oil dip stick from Summit for $49. Work very work. No problem what so ever. I think that is what I paid for my 93.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

Just kinda thinking out loud here, but...

I wonder if it might be possible to drive the broken-off tube down half of the depth of its bore in the block...

Followed by cutting the bottom end off of a new dipstick tube, below the flange, a distance equal to the now-available depth in the bore above the old tube -- so that it could be securely situated above the remains of the old tube...

In other words, you'd then have sorta a 2-piece tube, with the two pieces butted end-to-end within the bore in the block...

Of course, whether or not this would work would depend upon:

1. How deep the dipstick tube bore is in a SBC, and I just can't picture it in my mind from memory.

2. Whether doing this would reposition the bottom end of the old tube such that either it, or the dipstick within it, would contact the rotating crank assembly (which could easily enough be checked by cranking the engine and seeing if the dipstick moves).

3. Whether doing this would send the dipstick into the pan on a different angle, thus corrupting its accuracy (of course, the stick could be easily enough re-marked by taking a reading when the crankcase was known to be full, and when it was known to be one quart low).

Hmm...

I dunno if this is a Really Good Idea, or a Really Worthless Idea...

But, if it would work, it would surely beat the hell out of either pulling the pan to remove the remains of the old tube, or worrying about leaving it loose in the crankcase...

And it might allow you to kick this problem down the road until the next time the engine gets torn down for some other reason...

Be well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 10-24-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same problem. We got a left handed drill bit that was a little bigger than the remaining part of the tube, worked it in enough to get it to grab with some vice grips, shot it with a little PB Blaster and gently worked it out. It took about 45 minutes, but it did come out.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Dipstick Tube

Quick Reply: Broken Dipstick Tube