C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 04:09 AM
notbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!!

Hey All today has been one of those days... those days you wish you could forget.....

Got home from goodiety business meeting, massively tired, stop in to change clothes and play a few vid games before heading out to unwind a bit. Sky is clear & blue.... then WHOOM!!!!! massive downpour... with the 'Vette top being open, I didn't notice it for a few so prolly 10mins of rain straight into the 'Vette!!!!!!!!

I about goodie a brick, so I blowdried and toweled it as much as I could but I had to get going and my sister had my other car so I had to take the 'Vette. Well that stained my pants & shirt, which I don't care too much about, pick up friends start driving to go skating (don't ask, friend is a skating nut!!!), get almost there and she notices the battery light blinking so I flick to the Voltage... cranking up there at 17.8V!!!!! Well I pull over turn everything off and try to think... then she dies right after that.... just before she dies temp flashes 260 degress! YIKES!!!!!! Had been sitting maybe 15mins....

Let it sit a few ... temp drops finally starts... cruise to skating rink... skate... come out hop in car... ghetto rig headlights (still fixing these just waiting on parts).... drives fine for 15mins no biggie... boom goodie happens again...

Called my sister to get my other car, it's her b-day so she's well plastered like hell ;P She has friend drive her & my other car up to my house (and a nice 30pack of MGD as a present for letting her use my car ;P). I got the 'Vette back to the house after a couple short breather brakes... burning smell for signifcant time..

Get it to garage and first thing I do of course is ye old sniffing test.. smell whats burnt ;P

Smelled like the alternator to me, I think it's f'd, when I got car batt was dead and we worried bout that alternator... well I think it's decided it's toast.

Question(s) for the board:
1. Can someone post the directions to replace Alternator from a manual for me please? I haven't got my manual in the mail yet, ordered it online.

2. What local parts store would carry an alternator for a 1988 Corvette? As I would really not like to have to wait till monday to then order one and wait for shipping.

3. What brand alternator do you recommend? One I can get locally preferrably if not who's good online and where to buy it?

Thanks for the help people, this board rules ;)

Now if this miserable f'in day would just end!!!!! I was also pissed when I found out my MGD was in cans and not in bottles, I like bottles... Oh just in general it's been a really really bad day I don't think i want to leave the house tommorrow....

:seeya
Old 08-04-2001, 10:16 AM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

Default Re: EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!! (notbob)

your charging voltage should be in the range of 13.9 to 14. 4 volts or so .......depending on rpm start the car, unplug the alt. plug, your 17 + volts should go away if it's the alt., and not a dash problem ...................... never start the car w/ a discharged batt. it just kills the cheesy "cs" series alt., i would reccommend a powermaster iceberg kit, or go w/ a delco rebuilt --- don't buy one fropm napa, or autozone, you'll be a pro at changing this part if you do .......... by the way, here, one hour from the border, we drink labatts ! :cheers:
Old 08-04-2001, 01:44 PM
notbob
Racer

Default Re: EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!! (hi-tek-vette)

Where can I get that kit at?

Whats the difference in it?
:yesnod:
Old 08-04-2001, 02:29 PM
notbob
Racer

Yeah everything does run fine with the alternator disconnected, no warning lights, rpms / volts in right ranges.
:cheers:
Old 08-04-2001, 03:57 PM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

summitracing.com has the iceberg kit and other complete alternators, the swap's easy, you don't need a manual ........ get a wrench & just do it !
Old 08-04-2001, 03:59 PM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

Default Re: EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!! (hi-tek-vette)

the "iceberg" kit has a rear housing w/ more heat sink area, you'll have to put this together yourself, it's not hard
Old 08-04-2001, 04:20 PM
notbob
Racer

Hrmm searched on summitracing.com for it couldn't find it, got a part number for the iceberg kit?
:confused:
Old 08-04-2001, 04:33 PM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

summit # nqs-d1-7130 is the std. replacement "iceberg kit ......new bearing, rectifier & housing ............. fits '87 - '94

Get notified of new replies

To EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!!

Quick Reply: EEK! RAIN F'IN SUCKS!!!!!! MASS-ELECTRONICS PROBLEMS!!!!!