C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 12:01 AM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers??

When I installed and adjusted these rockers (model 1417 for centerbolt valve covers) when the engine was out, I noticed how tight the socket fit in the narrow bodies.

Now that the engine is in the car, theres no way to adjust these rockers with the engine running without binding them. I even tried a very narrow body 14mm socket and could not get it in the rocker bodies safely with the engine running.

My valve train is a little noisey and I know the valves need to adjusted, but how. I'm getting ready to chuck these peices of s**t, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:34 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers?? (1MoorTym)

Can't you adjust 1/2 turn from zero lash or do you have solid lifters?
Old 08-07-2001, 12:49 AM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Default Re: How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers?? (65Z01)

No, I've got hydraulic rollers in my 89. The problem is establishing zero lash. With the engine on the stand, adjusting rockers until you 'feel' the push rod begin to bind is pretty subjective. The best way to obtain zero lash is with the engine running. Problem is the bodies of these rockers are so tight, its not safe to get a socket in there to adjust them properly :mad
Old 08-07-2001, 01:03 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers?? (1MoorTym)

You're exactly right about the subjectiveness of the "twist til you feel slight resistance" method. Instead, I use the up and down method.

With the engine off, I bump til the exhaust rocker just begins to move, then I back off the adjusting nut of the INTAKE rockers until I can move the pushrod up and down (let the adjustment remain off for a couple of minutes to allow the plunger to rise to the top of the lifter).

Now slowly tighten the adjusting nut while continuing to move the pushrod up and down. When you reach a point that the pushrod cannot be moved up or down you've got zero lash. Now set your preload.

On the exhaust I watch the intake rocker until it fully opens the valve and almost fully closes it, I the set the EXHAUST.

I use 1 turn lifter preload, but your mileage may vary.

Jake
Old 08-07-2001, 01:27 AM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Default Re: How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers?? (JAKE)

You're exactly right about the subjectiveness of the "twist til you feel slight resistance" method. Instead, I use the up and down method.
That sounds like it would be more accurate, but I've always liked doing it with the engine running, as theres no mistaking the absence of valve tap to establish zero lash. I can't believe anybody would make a rocker without enough clearance to get a socket into.

On another note, thanks for the advice on intake manifold replacement, especially to re-torque after everything sets up. 11 of the 12 bolts took about another 1/8 turn the next day.

Get notified of new replies

To How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers??

Quick Reply: How to adjust CompCams magnum rockers??