C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Header install:Do I really need these brackets?

Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Header install:Do I really need these brackets?

Trying to install my new Stainless Works headers and I've run into a problem. I can't get the brackets that go to the back of the AC compressor back on. I tried using the stock bracket/header bolts in those locations, but there is NO WAY that these brackets will fit with these headers. So... do I really need them?

Last edited by pletner; 01-29-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:39 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pletner
Trying to install my new Stainless Works headers and I've run into a problem. I can't get the brackets that go to the back of the AC compressor back on. I tried using the stock bracket/header bolts in those locations, but there is NO WAY that these brackets will fit with these headers. So... do I really need them?
You'll only need them if you ever use the heat or air conditioning. Even using heat sometimes the compressor is kicked in. WIthout the brackets you'll get a vibration at certain rev ranges, maybe 21-2300, maybe around 2800. It will come in at easy throttle in 4th or 5th and annoy the crap out of you.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:45 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
You'll only need them if you ever use the heat or air conditioning. Even using heat sometimes the compressor is kicked in. WIthout the brackets you'll get a vibration at certain rev ranges, maybe 21-2300, maybe around 2800. It will come in at easy throttle in 4th or 5th and annoy the crap out of you.
CRAP! I guess I can try to alter these so they will fit. Thanks for the Info!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

You can forget the one that comes down from the rear of the alternator and just put a few washers between the rear alt. bracket and the alt. to take up that space. The other two both come down to the third header bolt and should fit w/o a problem. One bolts to the accessory bracket and can be installed by unbolting the four bolts on the compressor to get it away enough to install the bracket. The other end of course must be located on the header stud when you do so. The other support goes on the lower rear compressor mounting bolt. Make sure and slide it onto that bolt and put it in the hole in the compressor before putting the compressor in place, otherwise there's not enough room to do so. The other end locates onto the same stud on top of the other support.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
You can forget the one that comes down from the rear of the alternator and just put a few washers between the rear alt. bracket and the alt. to take up that space. The other two both come down to the third header bolt and should fit w/o a problem.
Hey Kid! Good to hear from you! The main problem I'm having is the original header/bracket bolt won't fit with these headers because they're too long and the bolt head is too big. I cut one down to make it shorter and ground the head down to a smaller diameter, but when you install it, one of the header pipes is in the way and won't permit me to attach the bracket retaining nut on the end of the bolt. What should I do?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Kid! Good to hear from you! The main problem I'm having is the original header/bracket bolt won't fit with these headers because they're too long and the bolt head is too big. I cut one down to make it shorter and ground the head down to a smaller diameter, but when you install it, one of the header pipes is in the way and won't permit me to attach the bracket retaining nut on the end of the bolt. What should I do?
Did they not send you a spacer to put over the bolt to extend it out to it's original distance? In other words to make up for the extra length where it's not going through a manifold anymore.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:44 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Did they not send you a spacer to put over the bolt to extend it out to it's original distance? In other words to make up for the extra length where it's not going through a manifold anymore.
No, I didn't get a spacer. But a spacer still wouldn't fit past the header pipe. This particular pipe doesn't come straight out, it goes kinda forward then down. I think I can make a new bracket thats a little longer than the stock one, then I think I can use my new header bolt.

Last edited by pletner; 01-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I didn't get a spacer. But a spacer still wouldn't fit past the header pipe. This particular pipe doesn't come straight out, it goes kinda forward then down. I think I can make a new bracket thats a little longer than the stock one, then I think I can use my new header bolt.
They used to send spacers, I'm wondering if it was an oversight. If the bolt will go in the hole, the spacer should too, It wasn't very thick, just a thin piece of stainless 3/8" ID pipe.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:51 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

They used to send spacers, I'm wondering if it was an oversight. If the bolt will go in the hole, the spacer should too, It wasn't very thick, just a thin piece of stainless 3/8" ID pipe.
The stock bolt won't fit past this pipe either.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The stock bolt won't fit past this pipe either.
That's weird, I guess I'll find out when I get mine.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

That's weird, I guess I'll find out when I get mine.
I was wondering when you were going to install yours.
They used to send spacers, I'm wondering if it was an oversight.
Speaking of oversight, I didn't get a T-shirt either!

Last edited by pletner; 01-29-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll assume you've printed these LT1/LT4 Header Install instructions from the Stainless Works website, so I apologize upfront for the obvious, but in the 1% chance you may still need them, here's the link:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/i...STRUCTIONS.doc

The instructions include some s/s tubing pieces, which when I talked with Scott at Stainless Works, said they'd have to be 'fabricated'. Here's steps 4 thru 6:

4. The drivers side header will use a section of ½” X 1 1/16” long s/s tubing as a spacer on the third bolt hole back (from the front of the engine). The factory manifold stud for the third hole back will need to have the lip ground off of it to be installed with the spacer.
5. The brace which runs from the manifold bolt to the alternator bracket will need to be ground to provide clearance on the header. Install the remaining header bolts and snug in position.
6. The passenger side header will use a section of ½” X 1 ¼” long s/s tubing as a spacer on the fourth bolt hole back from the front. The factory manifold stud for the third hole back will need to have the lip ground off of it to be installed with the spacer. Install remaining header bolts and snug into position.

I just got mine and have barely unpacked them, so I noticed your thread. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:10 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gmans96Coupe
I'll assume you've printed these LT1/LT4 Header Install instructions from the Stainless Works website, so I apologize upfront for the obvious, but in the 1% chance you may still need them, here's the link:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/i...STRUCTIONS.doc
O.K.... I get the Dumba** of the year award! No I didn't print the instructions, in fact I had no idea they existed. Thanks for the link Gmans96Coupe! I hope your install goes smoothly! These headers look great on the car I can't wait to finish my install so I can hear them!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel so lucky.

I bought TPIS headers just because I thought they were quality pieces, and mounting this bracket was not an issue for me. Little did I know they incorporate the extension tube Corvette Kid is talking about welded to the flange. They also drill and tap holes in the flange for you to mount the factory plug wire loom brackets just as they would go into the head (no burnt plug wires).

People on here knock TPIS all the time but they do address little things like this in their products, and most manufacturers don't. They aren't a vendor here and they don't do GP sales here, but there are good reasons to buy their products. This is one of them.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:45 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My EMs had a spacer and there was no cutting for the ac bracket.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
My EMs had a spacer and there was no cutting for the ac bracket.
hey, can you send me pics? I have EM long tubes and i get vibration with the A/C om @ 2K rpm...Sorry for hijacking thr thread...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

O.K.... I get the Dumba** of the year award! No I didn't print the instructions, in fact I had no idea they existed. Thanks for the link Gmans96Coupe! I hope your install goes smoothly! These headers look great on the car I can't wait to finish my install so I can hear them!
You're welcome Pletner. No problem. The instructions were hidden on the web site (you'd think they'd include a copy in the header box when shipped.)

Hey, if you don't mind, let us know how it all comes together as per the instructions or if there is anything else we need to consider. I've not done this before either!

Get notified of new replies

To Header install:Do I really need these brackets?

Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by TOO_HOTTVETTE
hey, can you send me pics? I have EM long tubes and i get vibration with the A/C om @ 2K rpm...Sorry for hijacking thr thread...
You have a pm .

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 01-30-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Well, I wouldn't exactly say they were hidden. There is a menu across
the top of the Stainlessworks site and 'Install Instructions' appears
third from the right.

I agree, after the fact, that including instructions in the box would have
been helpful but I bought my pipes fairly early and was under the impression
that they were a new release - since I didn't see C4 L98 fitment in their
catalog at the time. As it happens there aren't even any L98
instructions on the site, just an LTx version. In my case, they weren't
necessary. I had already determined what gaskets and fasteners to
use before the pipes arrived, the pipes themselves went in as easily
as could be expected.

About the brackets. At first I was just going to leave them off, but
finding that the consensus here on the forum was that deleting them
leads to broken accessory mounts, I decided I would make spacers and
reinstall the supports.

Interesting that one poster was told that the spacers would need to be
fabricated (ie: tubing was not included.) I have read here that another
customer received 2 pcs of tubing with his pipes. I did not receive
any pieces with mine - but my packaging had been pounded by UPS
and the sealing tape had broken open in several places so they may
have been shipped but then lost during transit.

As for remarks about the other makes of headers. True enough, I like
to have every angle covered by good design as much or more than the
next guy. However, for me the decision to get the Stainlessworks pipes
comes back to the basics - they were the only vendor I knew of who
offered a 1-5/8" primary fabricated from SS. So the SWs meet my
dimensional needs, are well made, look good and ought to be trouble
-free for the life of the vehicle. The bracket spacers and wire loom
mounts were minor issues I dealt with and then forgot about.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 01-30-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of reusing the stock bolt / stud for the brackets, you can get 3/8 threaded stainless rod from some hardware stores (I think I got mine from Ace). Just cut it to length and pick up a couple nuts / washers as appropriate. That way you don't have a crappy looking rusty bolt. I used this (along with Stage-8 stainless locking bolts for all the rest) and it works / looks great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header install:Do I really need these brackets?