C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:30 PM
robs87vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mseven
The gaskets that corvette 0096 posted look real good, and may give the additional height required to use your new covers.
I've looked all over for these in Centerbolt and I've concluded they don't make them. Probably not enough demand.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info but I wonder if the stock 86+ VC's lip extends that much down? Anyway thanks for the great info.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:27 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robs87vette
I've looked all over for these in Centerbolt and I've concluded they don't make them. Probably not enough demand.
That sux, those are the best ones I have seen to date.
I don't know but I wonder if they would be ok just the same.....maybe just trim off the hole tab.....HHHmmmmm, maybe a PM to 0096 might help.
I read were guys here had to trim the lip of the proforms. I have the same in wrinkle blk. and there is a little lip around the whole thing and an extension in the corners. I did not have to trim any of it off. all I did was use a little sealer around the mating surface of the cover itself than stick a OEM gasket (GMP for the covers) to it and mine are sealing (hopefully stay like that). Maybe the mounting lip on these AFR's heads differ from one to another due to the machining? Would seem strange, but I guess a possible reason.

GRX I would think you should be able to tell (feel it covering the lip)when you try a cover on it w/no gasket on the heads.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
robs87vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mseven
That sux, those are the best ones I have seen to date.
I don't know but I wonder if they would be ok just the same.....maybe just trim off the hole tab.....HHHmmmmm, maybe a PM to 0096 might help.
I done that with the gaskets I currently have in there they are extra thick felpro cork laminated gaskets, but it still don't seal so I will have to do the lip milling thing i guess

Quick Reply: AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem