C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering column Play (1993) Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:05 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column Play (1993) Help!

Ive posted a few times about this in the past and had some help in emails. that was years ago and i can't seem to find them now i have always had play in the steering column. a diagonal wiggle when pulling on the wheel with moderate effort.

In the past i have replaced pins and tightened all screws and had 2 different shoppes try their best at it as well. No luck. One shop broke my left turn signal switch trying. Recently, i had my current shoppe who is rebuilding my car/engine tear into it and rebuild it using a 95 column i got off ebay as a spare for parts. My turn signal is fixed so im happy about that, but the column play is still there although a little better than before. Even though i'd like to be happy i can't.. its still bothering me and it always will until i fix it.

I am at the point i am willing to throw My VISA card at this problem. i just want this FRIKKIN column fixed ! Does anyone have ANY part #s of ANYTHING inside the column assembly that they can share with me please. like absolutely anything. i will order every part # i can find. I have spent more money than i have on My motor/car rebuild recently and everything is coming together perfect... EXCEPT this steering column.. I've just about had it.

help?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:28 AM
k99ja04
Racer

I have the same problem and I've been told it is not the pins but there is a mount made with cheap metal that the holes will deform leading to the play. I don't believe there is any specific partnumber to replace. Hopefully someone else will elaborate. I know this is not specific to 93 and is a fairly common problem. The cause has been speculated as using the wheel to aid in exit of the vehicle while eating too many doughnuts and exercising too little if you catch my drift.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the response. I am aware this is a common problem and have chimed in when others have posted as well. I dont believe there is a specific cause for everyones play. i think some have bad pins.. some the torxx screws come loose.. and like you stated i have heard as well the 'knuckle' is a soft aluminum and the holes for the pivot pins become elongated.

this all began ( or at least when i first noticed it) when i removed my cluster to install a zr1 8k tach and have it recalibrated. I had left the wheel and column resting on the seat for a whole day and a half. When i put it together i noticed the 'play'. it might have been from before i dont know.

Anyone know if the 'knuckle' can be replaced? the piece that the pivot pins go in to?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

try this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=264&TopicID=2
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

zrv, thanks for the link. i honestly still dont know where to even find the tech tips

i do know most of the things in the column were replaced as said in that write up. there was a repair kit, pins etc. I have heard from other members however that the knuckle itself can be purchased. thats what im trying to figure out or any other misc. parts inside the column that have anything to do with the tilt.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DieL
zrv, thanks for the link. i honestly still dont know where to even find the tech tips
They're under "TOOLS" on the main page.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column Play (1993) Help!

Quick Reply: Steering column Play (1993) Help!