C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rebuilt 85

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Topless87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilt 85

I got an 85 coupe that was all riced up all sorts of stuff, but what did it in was the kid NOS'd it up and cracked a head. I've removed the 150 Amps of draw from the electronics (5 Amps, Neon, LED's, etc) I can't immagine it wasn't always on a charger.

Anyway, I replaced the heads with the same ones, they were stock iron heads. But, the bottom end is nice for some reason its all forged with stock heads He blew the head with less than 1K miles on the new rebuild. The exhaust is wide open up to a set of nice Borla mufflers. And, it has an aftermarket cam. I've only reprogrammed it to have the fans come on at 185 and to idle at 750 RPM. Can someone look at the cam specs and tell me if it requires further tuning? I ask because it smells rich.

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204 int./214 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 262
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 272
Advertised Duration: 262 int./272 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.420 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.442 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.420 int./0.442 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.

Any suggestions or pointers would be great as I start working this tune out.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm no expert, but the duration, lift and LSA seem pretty tame and shouldn't cause the ECM any fits.

Last edited by AGENT 86; 05-02-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cam days have come and gone along time ago. Can't help, curious about a couple things though, 02 sensor,fuel pressure, and lastly, why on earth did you program your fan to come on at 185? seems to low for me, what engine temps are you running? I was a little concerned turning my fans (main and aux) on at 200 and off at 185-using a 180 thermostat but it seems to work well with my 87.Also what thermostat are you running-temp wise?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Topless87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick lambert
My cam days have come and gone along time ago. Can't help, curious about a couple things though, 02 sensor,fuel pressure, and lastly, why on earth did you program your fan to come on at 185? seems to low for me, what engine temps are you running? I was a little concerned turning my fans (main and aux) on at 200 and off at 185-using a 180 thermostat but it seems to work well with my 87.Also what thermostat are you running-temp wise?
Ooops you're right, its off at 185, on at 195. I live in south texas and in traffic, I don't like to give it much of a chance to get much over 200. I have a 180 thermostat. Depending on how it behaves once I have the AC working, I may up things about 5 degrees. I agree, you don't want it too cold either. These numbers are what I have on my 87 with the AC going in the summer and it seems to stay just around 200 most of the time.

On another note, now that I haven't got the ENORMOUS drain on ground (all that equip was hooked up through common ground, even the speakers) the digi-dash problems I was having and the rough idle has gone away. I think the electrics were just completely messed up by all that junk this guy installed poorly. I'll be running more scans once I have the harness back to stock routings.

The cam looks very similar in specs to many tame "no ecm change" combos I've seen. I just know very little about cams and thought I would ask.

Get notified of new replies

To rebuilt 85

Quick Reply: rebuilt 85