C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 with a check engine light and code 21

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Expo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 with a check engine light and code 21

Since my last autocross my 85 has been throwing a code 21 and the idle goes up to 1100 until I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. It doesn't happen immediately and sometimes it does it at idle or others I have to drive it a few miles before the SES light goes on. Code 21 is supposed to be high power steering pressure.

I can't find a sensor or any other wiring going to the steering components so it can be looked at. My question is there a sensor and wiring going to the PCM and can it be disconnected to eliminate the code and light? Any response would be appreciated..Expo
Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you referring to ECM diagnostic trouble codes? Isn't a code 21 a throttle position sensor fault.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Expo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checking further--you're right--it is the TPS. I was going by the chart on the back of the OBD-1. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, a code 21 on a 85 is the TPS. This means the ECM has seen a voltage outside it's programmed limits. Not necessarily that the TPS is bad but could me misadjusted, poor connection, or open/grounded circuit. I would try the TPS steps below and just for fun you might want to clean the IAC and TB. Never hurts to remove the carbon.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=195&TopicID=2

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=55&TopicID=2

Get notified of new replies

To 85 with a check engine light and code 21

Quick Reply: 85 with a check engine light and code 21