C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sandblasting tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 PM
C4CBF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandblasting tips

Getting ready to change out all bushings and considered buying a sandblaster to clean all the parts I take off. Couple questions so I can feel confident I won't screw something up...

Can I sandblast the A Arms without damaging them? Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect the integrity of the aluminum...

Is sandblasting the best low cost way to clean and restore metal parts?

Any general tips to share when blasting?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 AM
rcr103
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4CBF
Getting ready to change out all bushings and considered buying a sandblaster to clean all the parts I take off. Couple questions so I can feel confident I won't screw something up...

Can I sandblast the A Arms without damaging them? Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect the integrity of the aluminum...

Is sandblasting the best low cost way to clean and restore metal parts?

Any general tips to share when blasting?
Degrease all parts,and then glass bead,makes for a nice finish.I glass beaded my plenum,runners,and intake.Looks great.Bought a portabale blaster at Harbor Frieght ,$29,worked fine,they have the glass bead also.
good luck
Randall
Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by rcr103
Degrease all parts,and then glass bead,makes for a nice finish.I glass beaded my plenum,runners,and intake.Looks great.Bought a portabale blaster at Harbor Frieght ,$29,worked fine,they have the glass bead also.
good luck
Randall
Do NOT use sand, it's too abrasive and will pit the aluminum. Glass bead is the way to go.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Eike
Racer

Can I sandblast the A Arms without damaging them?
Yes, but the surface will be very harsh.

If you use glass (use approx. 40 to 50 psi), it will look like this parts I blasted:

Clear coat them and they will stay like new
e.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Save the blasting for parts that are not already close to being polished. The A arms clean up real nice with simple green and then fine steel wool with metal polish and buffed with a soft rag.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to invest in a sandblast cabinet, if you have room somewhere, it's well worth the money.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 AM
mothersworry
Pro

Here is a shot after sandbasting and polishing

Old 07-31-2006, 11:03 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I noticed this thread. I recently bought an $800 compressor with a good sandblaster. I can't seem to get it to work well. I set it up as recomended. Ran all the pipes up and added drains and filters etc.. etc.. in a professional type setup. It works great for a while and then gets blocked. It has to be the media I've been trying to use. I've asked some people that restore cars for a living and they said they are able to use regular play sand from Home Depot for most of their blasting. I know not on thinner body panels. What type of media is everyone else using and where do you purchase it? I have a lot of blasting to do. I'm restoring a 67 firebird again after the flood. I would rather $2 for a bag of sand at Home Depot vs. $30 plus shipping for Walnut shell or Glass at Eastwood. If I have no other choice oh well.. Like I said I have a lot of blasting to do and most of the parts are too big for a cabinet. Hopefully this will help the original poster as well.

Thanks in advance.

For my brake calipers I used a wirebrush on the end of a cordless drill about 2 years ago. still looks great. Didn't even have to remove them. I'll probably paint them when I add new rims though. Mothers, how about some more details on that polishing? Looks great!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM
mothersworry
Pro

I use Eastwood products per a chart they have in their catalog
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

You can also blast with Walnut shells just like the glass bead so it wont damage the metals. Comes out real nice!

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/all....#30 (play sand) from home depot will work, but will pit. A #10 glassbead will do a good job of cleaning up, or #8 if more aggressive is needed. I use #8 on pool tile all day and it doesnt pit .

Eastwood, www.tarheelparts.com and Graingers industrial supply are a couple good sources.

If your gun is clogging, try sifting your media -Make sure the media has no moisture or it will clog up behind the tip.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 PM
C4CBF
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
w/all....#30 (play sand) from home depot will work, but will pit. A #10 glassbead will do a good job of cleaning up, or #8 if more aggressive is needed. I use #8 on pool tile all day and it doesnt pit .

Eastwood, www.tarheelparts.com and Graingers industrial supply are a couple good sources.

If your gun is clogging, try sifting your media -Make sure the media has no moisture or it will clog up behind the tip.
How much for a bag of glass beads? How long will a bag last running at the correct PSI? Some of those suspension parts came out looking outstanding! I know sand is more friendlier to the environment since I will be blasting outside. Has anyone ever made their own cabinet?

If you have a cabinet, can the glass beads be reused. I am assuming "no" but thought I'd ask.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
C4CBF
Instructor

Originally Posted by mothersworry

Dude those look sweet
Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Eike
...If you use glass (use approx. 40 to 50 psi), it will look like this parts I blasted:

Clear coat them and they will stay like new
e.
- another thing you can do is to chem-film the aluminum castings. try: http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/d..._Treatment.pdf

i use DX501 on most aluminum castings. works great -
Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Blownfuel1
Racer

[QUOTE=C4CBF]Has anyone ever made their own cabinet?[QUOTE]

Yeah, when I was over in Hawaii I bought the kit available from TP tool's, and after seeing what Harbor freight charges for them, I'd NEVER go that way again! It was WAY too big of a PITA! And I spent more building it than I would've if I'd just bought TP's blast cabinet. The only advantage was the savings on shipping, because the only way to ship it to Hi was UPS overnight (and that's real expensive when your talking about a blast cabinet!) or slow boat to (err...via?) China!

Originally Posted by C4CBF
If you have a cabinet, can the glass beads be reused. I am assuming "no" but thought I'd ask.
Actually, Yes, you'll notice when they start to wear out, it'll start taking longer to clean things, not do as good of a job, etc.....

As far as prices, 50# @ $31.00 + $35.00 shipping from TP, 50# @ $34.95 + $7.99 from Harbor Freight (if you don't have one locally). This one would be closest to you:

Harbor Freight USA
3302 CAPITAL BLVD.
RALEIGH, NC 27604

Last edited by Blownfuel1; 07-31-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
C4CBF
Instructor

[QUOTE=Blownfuel1][QUOTE=C4CBF]Has anyone ever made their own cabinet?

Yeah, when I was over in Hawaii I bought the kit available from TP tool's, and after seeing what Harbor freight charges for them, I'd NEVER go that way again! It was WAY too big of a PITA! And I spent more building it than I would've if I'd just bought TP's blast cabinet. The only advantage was the savings on shipping, because the only way to ship it to Hi was UPS overnight (and that's real expensive when your talking about a blast cabinet!) or slow boat to (err...via?) China!

Actually, Yes, you'll notice when they start to wear out, it'll start taking longer to clean things, not do as good of a job, etc.....

As far as prices, 50# @ $31.00 + $35.00 shipping from TP, 50# @ $34.95 + $7.99 from Harbor Freight (if you don't have one locally). This one would be closest to you:

Harbor Freight USA
3302 CAPITAL BLVD.
RALEIGH, NC 27604
That is right down the road from where I work, thx for the tip
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Yes, you can reuse glassbead, just sift it to make sure you dont get any debris cloggin your gun. I personally think glassbead works better after the first use as the glass "*****" now have sharper ends and cut better.

Use a GOOD respirator, especially with sand. Silicosis of the lungs is a for real thing. Dont use a "dust mask" either unless you are using a sealed cabinet. I like the 3M type sold at home Depot with the replaceable cartridges. Pricy at $40, but I gotta save my lungs for smoking
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 AM
C4CBF
Instructor

Originally Posted by mothersworry

What did you use to polish?

Get notified of new replies

To Sandblasting tips

Quick Reply: Sandblasting tips