C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

horn relay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 AM
James Paradiso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn relay?

Does anyone know how to get to the horn relay. From what i've heard it is located behind the center dash closer to the passenger side. What is the easiest way to get to it and does anyone have a a wiring diagram for the horn system on the 86 C4? My horn never worked and i'm trying to get it working. The actually horns work by using a power source directly to them and the horn button on the wheel appears to be all intact and wires connected so i'm guessing i got a faulty relay...
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Its right above the radio. You will find it there with a fuse box and some other stuff.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Jim,
Assuming your Factory Alarm is operational, a quick way to test the relay is to arm the alarm, reach in an open window, unlock the door and then open the door. If the horns sound, the relay is good and you need to check into the horn button and related wiring. As Spankyellow said, the relay is above the radio and HVAC controls behind the DIC. Here's your diagram:
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
James Paradiso
Instructor

Thanks guys and ray I do not have an alarm I know of. Just vats. My old 87 had an alarm and a security light would blink on the information panel. I do not have that with this one. And I also have the vats turned off via the add on toggle switch.

Thanks for the diag!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
grapidssteve
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the alarm test on my '85 last nite and got no horn. I could hear a clicking from behind the radio and the car wouldn't start. I'm assuming the clicking is the relay.

Does this condition indicate a bad relay?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
James Paradiso
Instructor

I'm getting confused now. How can I tell if my vette has an alarm? Do they come standard with alarms? I was assuming I did not have one becasue I never have seen the security light on the information display and never had an audible alarm or relay clicking sound. I did the alarm test as stated in the book and nothing happened.... So I am assuming there is no alarm system in mine or if there is suppose to be one as a standard option could the relay be bad and this why my horn is not working? Or if my horn relay is bad could this be why the alarm doesn't work if there is in fact an alarm on my 86?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

No std alarm system, just VATS. my 87 VATS would disable, but there was no horn sound associated with it...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
jonrbrt
Advanced

How about 91's? Mine has a security light that flashes but I've never heard an alarm and My horn doesn't work either... could it be a relay is it located in the same place as the 85?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

My 86 had an alarm that was activated by locking the door with the power lock switch. So does my 87.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM
raymos
Cruising

Default similar issue with my 84

My problem was similar in that I would often have to unlock the door with the key (even though it was not locked) to get the engine to turn over.

Another issue was that the horn did not work. I was able to locate the relay thanks to this thread. I then removed the relay and its cover to find that it was working but the contacts were not making contact properly. A little sanding with some emery paper did the trick and it is now good.

Still dealing with the security system but so far the key in the door trick does the job. Any ideas why this suddenly began or what can be done to correct it?

Reminder: The 84 C4 does not have VATS.

Get notified of new replies

To horn relay?

Quick Reply: horn relay?