C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

whistle in radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 04:01 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistle in radio?

for some unk reason my 92 vette began whistling through the radio speakers and it get louder
the more you speed up any idea what is causing the wistle ? :mad
Old 09-15-2001, 04:19 PM
cesar
Racer

Default Re: whistle in radio? (cesar)

I have a delco bose sytem
Old 09-15-2001, 04:20 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: whistle in radio? (cesar)

Probably rf interference from a plug/coil wire. On second thought bad wires usually make a ticking noise as the interference hits with each firing of the cylinder so maybe it's yer alternator. Check things like grounds on all accessories. just guessing here

Bob
Old 09-15-2001, 10:13 PM
satyr7777
Racer

Default Re: whistle in radio? (BobMachus)

Aha! One I can answer!

Most of the time when you hear a whistle coming from your speakers, when your stereo is on, it's from an improper ground wire in the stereo's circuit. When I did installs and put in amps and etc., the "whine" (which is actually the technical term), which rises and falls with your rpm, is alternator whine. The first place to check for an improper ground is near the head unit- your radio. If you have amps- (all bose), the loose ground could be near the amp itself. If you don't find it there, you'll have to root around under your hood- and hope it's obvious, it could be a bad condenser at the alternator, or even just a corroded wire here or there.

I'd probably try and do some recall first that would cause a ground wire to come loose, or become corroded. Did you dump beer on the carpet? (hopefully before you drank it, and not after- yes it's happened :U ) Did you install a new amp? A new head unit? A cb? Did you tear open your dash for anything? Even vacuuming vigorously could do it. Good luck- hope you find it! Take it easy- John

Get notified of new replies

To whistle in radio?

Quick Reply: whistle in radio?