C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering Rack Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steering Rack Question...

I have the power steering rack out of my '89 L98. It looks to be in good shape and has been leak free but my steering wheel has always had about an inch of play in it before it does anything to affect the steering. I am assuming this is the fault of the actual steering gear box mounted on the rack am i correct? I was wondering if it is possible to replace just that gear box, and maybe upgrade to the Z51 box to get the quicker steering ratio. Anyone ever done this before and/or know where I can buy just the Z51 steering box?

Thanks,

Wheelman
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no... the rack is really not very user servicable. A reman'd rack won't cost that much, really.

Also, check to be sure that the various bolts that hold the wheel to the rack and the rack to the car are good and tight.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There is no "steering box". The rack and pinion steering gear assembly consists of a toothed bar (rack) that is moved left and right, as the teeth of the pinion are turned by the steering column, via the steering wheel. Typically steering "play" comes from the inner and/or outer tie rod ends. The common problem with the rack and pinion assembly, is "morning sickness", where the power assist is weak, or nonexistent, especially on start up and when cold. It gets worse with more wear and age. You can buy a rebuilt rack at most parts houses. I have never heard of anyone checking the core to be sure it was the same as the unit sold. Therefore it is a simple matter to swap from standard steering to a fast steering rack and pinion.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys...So no regrets against just buying a reman rack from Autozone or something? Also how do I tell them apart? When I look online the choices I get are " w/ Production Code FH on Dust Cover" or " w/ Production Code NS on Dust Cover" Anyone know which one is for Z51?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wheelman
Thanks guys...So no regrets against just buying a reman rack from Autozone or something? Also how do I tell them apart? When I look online the choices I get are " w/ Production Code FH on Dust Cover" or " w/ Production Code NS on Dust Cover" Anyone know which one is for Z51?
My parts books shows The "NS" and the "FH" to be the designators for the first and second designs. Was the fast steering available on 1989?

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

I already had a Z51. When I went for my rack I got it from the local CarQuest powered store. I believe they asked me if it was the Heavy Duty one or something which I took to be the Z51. Both were the same price. Both are definitely the same outside and I'd highly recommend the quicker one.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
My parts books shows The "NS" and the "FH" to be the designators for the first and second designs. Was the fast steering available on 1989?

RACE ON!!!
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is. I could have sworn that the '89 Z51 has the fast ratio steering but I will have to get home and check my Black Book to be sure unless someone else here knows.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is. I could have sworn that the '89 Z51 has the fast ratio steering but I will have to get home and check my Black Book to be sure unless someone else here knows.
I think the 1988 was the last listed year for fast ratio. My 1989 has Z51 with fast steering but it also has 3.54 gears. I guess there were some parts left over in early 1989.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (04-07-2022)
Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

On the cars with standard and fast steering, the standard steering is 2 1/3 turns, lock to lock. The fast steering is 2 turns. I have hand written notes in my parts book, that says the "NS" is the fast steering, but officially, according to the book, there is no "fast" steering in 1989. Previous years show with FE3 or FE7 or with different wheels, that would suggest different ratios. The 1989 only shows first and second design for 1989.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
On the cars with standard and fast steering, the standard steering is 2 1/3 turns, lock to lock. The fast steering is 2 turns. I have hand written notes in my parts book, that says the "NS" is the fast steering, but officially, according to the book, there is no "fast" steering in 1989. Previous years show with FE3 or FE7 or with different wheels, that would suggest different ratios. The 1989 only shows first and second design for 1989.

RACE ON!!!
Ok, I looked in my black book and didn't see it either. I am almost as confused as I was when I started this thread, because I still don't know which rack to get. Should I just get the "Late Version" and be done with it? Maybe there is no reason for me to have faster steering. Anybody know how the later models are set up? Is one rack standard for all models after 88? I learn more about these things every day.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

My parts book and your internet parts supplier, both say to order by the identification number on the dust cover. Is there a good reason not to do that?

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 1989 has 2 turn fast steering. I don't know why that would be a problem on yours.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (04-07-2022)
Old 10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Tell Wheelman what number is stamped on your dust cover.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
CorvAdel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have seen, movement like you describe comes from tie-rod ends as CFI said, the connecting joints like Bogus said, the tie rods themselves at the point of attachment to the rack, excessive back-lash in the rack (most likely) and the actual mounting points of the rack to the sub frame.
Before replacement, if it was my car, I would check all of the above, esp.the tension of the rack mounts....

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack Question...

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Question...