C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bad clutch from spec

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
95PCTBK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad clutch from spec

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]015[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]take a look at the pressure plate and disk

Last edited by 95PCTBK; 10-31-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Might help if you included the image

Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
95PCTBK
Advanced

Originally Posted by GIJoe
Might help if you included the image

can't figure out how to post the photos
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you need to find a host, upload the pics and then put the link between the img tags.

oh, a bad clutch from SPEC... I never would have expected that...

I can't wait to see the pics to confirm my lack of faith.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Use a free hosting site like photo bucket, upload your image there & then you post the link to it here.

I know a lot of people on here have a bad impression of spec. Guess I'm just one of the lucky few as my single mass flywheel & kevlar kit I got through TPIS has been just awsome.

Last edited by Trog; 10-31-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it seems be hit and miss on here.

The question is whether the pool of experience we are drawing from is weighted towards to high or low end of bad-experiences...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by bogus
oh, a bad clutch from SPEC... I never would have expected that...

I can't wait to see the pics to confirm my lack of faith.
hey now, my Spec 3 has held up nicely to all the abuse I have given it *knock on wood*
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

hey now, my Spec 3 has held up nicely to all the abuse I have given it *knock on wood*
Agreed... I didn't say ALL were bad, but when I got mine 4.5 years ago, there was a spate of bad ones... If I had known, I would not have bothered.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

I still hear alot of hate for those clutches on other sites. So there
must still be a lot of bad batches out there
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by bogus
Agreed... I didn't say ALL were bad, but when I got mine 4.5 years ago, there was a spate of bad ones... If I had known, I would not have bothered.
I hear ya. what problems did you have?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
ghbrothers
Advanced

Thanks for the TPIS tip. How much chatter do you get with the clutch out in neutral, under load? What type of oil do you use in your ZF? I went single mass with an aluminum flywheel, SPEC about 10,000 miles ago. My transmission chatters like crazy when it's hot and in neutral. It also makes a noise under load in 1st and 2nd gear. Any clues ... it's all out of the car now ... now is the time to make the updates.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghbrothers
Thanks for the TPIS tip. How much chatter do you get with the clutch out in neutral, under load? What type of oil do you use in your ZF? I went single mass with an aluminum flywheel, SPEC about 10,000 miles ago. My transmission chatters like crazy when it's hot and in neutral. It also makes a noise under load in 1st and 2nd gear. Any clues ... it's all out of the car now ... now is the time to make the updates.

www.zxdoc.com contact Bill and check out the web site. I use RedLine but next time the BMW oil the Bill likes. Most all the single mass flywheel clutches make the rocks in a bucket sound. The reason I spent the extra money and went back OEM on my LT4. Bill will explain why the ZF does this, call him he will take the time to explain.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
ghbrothers
Advanced

Thanks for the link. I will be chatting with him Thursday.

FYI the link was zfdoc.com

Cheers
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link. I will be chatting with him Thursday.

FYI the link was zfdoc.com

Cheers

My bad typo error. Also ask Bill about the ATE brake fluid that is Ok for your clutch system. email and he will get back to you. Nice guy to do bussiness with. Best around for ZF repairs and upgrade.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

A big with the above. When I had my engine out for minor rebuild I sent my trans to Bill. It had about 80K miles on it, mostly on Redline oil. Bill said things were in real good shape for the mileage & my lack of changing the oil in it but like twice... my bad. Anyway, he did a full rebuild & did his custom job on shortening the shifter. My SM/clutch kit went in at that time. Oil in trans back from Bill was the Castrol he likes, at 1 year I drained & put the redline back in as it is easily avail. to me.

Overall, I don't have much noise in neutral. Initially there was a little chatter in the clutch itself under low speed slip use. Like pulling up that last foot in the garage etc. But I either don't notice anymore or I've adapted my behavior to compensate.

Bottom line, trans & clutch work very good. I don't do any drop clutch abuse BS when playing, don't need to, if I want tire spin, I just punch it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have a single mass spec flywheel and spec 3 clutch disk... it chatters like a **** in neutral..but thats not spec's fault, its just the fact that "its a ZF6 with a single mass flywheel" that is causing the clutch chatter. It did it with my old Centerforce clutch (single mass FW) as well.

it does have a little chatter when getting off the line, but that is also normal for that combination.

if it's "clutch chatter" that you hear, there is nothing to worry about and you can't do anything about it.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a single mass spec flywheel and spec 3 clutch disk... it chatters like a **** in neutral..but thats not spec's fault, its just the fact that "its a ZF6 with a single mass flywheel" that is causing the clutch chatter. It did it with my old Centerforce clutch (single mass FW) as well.

it does have a little chatter when getting off the line, but that is also normal for that combination.

if it's "clutch chatter" that you hear, there is nothing to worry about and you can't do anything about it.

If you are bashing Spec because of the noise, you need to check around. Your clutch has nothing to do with the increase in noise you hear at idle in neutral and under acceleration under a load in the lower gears. That alone is from your switch to a Single Mass Flywheel. You took away GM's "band aide" of a drive line damper for the inhearently noisy ZF6. If you don't like the noise all you can do is put a Dual Mass Flywheel back in the car, thats the only way its going away. Makes no difference what clutch you have.
FYI, I have a Findanza Alum flywheel and Spec stage3 clutch. I have beat it like a rabid dog for over 6 months without failure. Its noisy, grabby as heck, and sucks in traffic. I have learned to live with it because it dosent slip at the track even when I drop the hammer from 5800rpms on 26X11.5 ET streets, the right rear spindle didn't survive but thats not the clutches fault either.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To bad clutch from spec

Quick Reply: bad clutch from spec