C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help, my temp gage alway low.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 08:59 PM
N.Robert
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my temp gage alway low.

Wht is my temp gage always reading low, I now check the temp with the Oil temp gage. Is there a curcuit I need to change? My car has been running on the Hot side too, about 205-220 with the Air on or without it. I have a 180 degree thermostate about 2 years. Help :crazy:
Old 09-20-2001, 08:32 AM
fiddleplayer
Racer

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (N.Robert)

My oil temp runs somewhat higher than the coolant temp. There is a website that gives you the resistance values of the sensors. When I find it I will reply. In the mean time, check to see if the temp sensor is plugged in. Sometimes the connector can become loose. The temp sensor can be located at various places depending upon the year model of your car. Places to look are on the drivers side between #1 & #3 spark plugs, on the passenger side between #6 & #8 spark plugs, and on the front of the intake manifold near the thermostat. FP
Old 09-20-2001, 01:11 PM
Thumper
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (fiddleplayer)

My oil temp gauges are not working right. Anybody know where these sensore are located on a '95?
Old 09-20-2001, 01:52 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (Thumper)

There is a sensor on the drivers side of the oil pan... I cannot remember off the top of my head if this is the oil level guage or the oil temp guage.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:54 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (Glock'94)

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Lower temp is BETTER than HIGHER(to some degree). If I'm REEEALLY leaning on the pedal..the oil temp gauge goes around half..but typically the oil and coolant temps are similar.

[Modified by JD 90 383, 12:55 PM 9/20/2001]
Old 09-20-2001, 02:20 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (JD 90 383)

I am not sure what the problem is here. Is the gage reading zero or low, but needle does move. On the 90, there are two sensors. One in the intake under the throttle body. This one provides temperature information to the ECM. The second temperature sensor is betwwen the number 6 & 8 spark plugs. This sensor provides the information to the analog gage on your dashboard.

If zero: The sensor between the number 6 & 8 plugs on the passenger side may be disconnected. Very easy to knock off the connector when you work on the spark plugs. Make sure the wire is in place.

If low: Check the resistance of the gage as suggested.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:31 PM
Camvette
Instructor

Default Re: Help, my temp gage alway low. (vettenuts)

On a '89 the temp gauge sensor is mounted into the drivers side head. Check the connection, if good replace the sensor. This will probably solve your problem. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Help, my temp gage alway low.

Quick Reply: Help, my temp gage alway low.