C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

pcmforless.com - results on stock 1990

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:37 PM
BadjerJim
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pcmforless.com - results on stock 1990

Well, here's another 'big thumbs UP' testimonial for Alvin at pcmforless.com.

I've been working with GIJoe, gathering info for his excellent website that explains how to disable VATS on our C4 Corvettes.

Getting the custom chip from pcmforless.com was the 2nd and final step in ridding my car of the VATS system.

Now some comments about my experience and the chip-upgrade process:

1) First off, I never would have considered the chip-upgrade unless the VATS system started giving me fits. With the chip upgrade for 1985-1993 Corvettes, one of the options you can specify is 'VATS disable.' This means that the ECM will no longer do the resistor test for the igition key. As long as the Starter Enable Relay is functioning (or bypassed), your car is GOING TO START. Every time. Whew!

2) I spent some time on the phone with Alvin before I ordered the chip, and asked if he could also do a 'disable' for the INFL REST (air bag) light on the dashboard. Turns out that warning light goes through the CCM, and different systems. Can't do it at the ECM chip. Nuts.

3) During the same phone call, I told Alvin that my 1990 is all stock. I mean BONE stock - no different mufflers, etc. And asked if I would note any performance improvement with his chip programming. He just chuckled and said: "Of course you will." He then rattled off a quick list of improvements.

Alvin then added: "We don't advertise this on the website, but if all you want is the VATS disable, we'll sell you the chip for $100. No upgrade path (more about this later) - but that will take care of your VATS problem."

So I paid the $193 ($175 plus $18 for next-day shipping). The package arrived promptly as promised.

---------

I installed the chip, and took pictures along the way. Check GIJoe's VATS website for upcoming pictures and procedure.

It's actually a stupidly simple procedure. Start to finish, it took me less than 15 minutes using a 1/4" nut driver and a 10mm socket (when, oh WHEN is GM going to unify these cars? I mean: decide: either SAE or metric. Just make them all the same!) And that 15 minutes included stopping along the way to take pictures! I swear: on a 1990, it's probably harder to correctly install windshield wiper blades.

The result? Well, VATS is gone, once and for all. Yeah, I've read all the posts about the importance of leaving VATS intact for anti-theft, etc., but from outside the car, there's no way to tell that VATS is disabled. And besides: a 10-yr-old Honda Civic will yield more $ in theft-strip parts than a 1990 Corvette. Stereo? I still use the Delco/Bose, which we all know is worthless.

The result of the new chip? WOW. Car starts instantly. With the car in 'park' - all I had to do was 'blip' the throttle to tell the difference. The engine revs instantly and effortlessly. Hard to describe. It's as if 'lag time' has been removed - time between punching the throttle and engine response.

When driving, while underway, the results are far more impressive. There's just a better overall response to the throttle. Overall, the car has more of a 'right NOW' feel to the engine response. And yes: when I 'floor it' - my seat-of-the-pants-gauge tells me I'm pinned harder against the seat than before. And the engine pulls smooth and strong throughout the rev range.

Note that I drove this car, and drove it HARD for about a half-hour, just before I installed the pcmforless.com chip.

Cold starts? Instant. Warm starts? Instant. Hot starts - right after the car has been run hard, and then stopped, engine off, and restart? Instant.

All of this with a bone-stock 1990.

-------

The future:
Well... you can see that I'm overall impressed with the pcmforless.com chip. But now that I've 'bought into their program' - I can make incremental upgrades along the way.

And any changes I make in the engine configuration, they'll make a new chip for $50. Gut the CAT? The Pre-Cats? 1.6-ratio rockers? Headers? (I'm in a no-smog-test county) - $50 will get me a new chip to accommodate.

I feel like a kid at Christmas - not only do I have a better-running car, but I can tinker in the future, and get the equivalent of a Pro Tune-Up to suit all the variables for $50.

--------

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Alvin and pcmforless.com. I've spoken to him on the phone twice, and then sent him money - that's it.

The peace-of-mind for the VATS disable was worth the $193 (have you checked towing charges lately?). The performance improvement was worth the $193. The easy upgrade to future engine mods - with correct and accurate ECM programming was worth the $193.

My 2-cents? That's about $600 worth of VALUE for about $200. Heck - I know guys who spent more than that on plugs and ignition wires.

Long and rambling, sorry. I'm just blown-away impressed. It's just like I started out to solve a VATS problem, and got a major performance-tune, for free, along the way.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting one. Thanks for the heads up. I have been meaning to get one, but my car is almost stock so I didn't know how much it would help. I always kept waiting until that next mod was done.

Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

AWESOME writeup! I am glad you posted all that. Not everyone is a believer of Alvin's programming skills for our cars. I would have to say all the exact same things about starting, throttle responce, powerband feel as you did. Instant starts too, before it took a few tries.

Can't wait for the writeup on the chip install Thanks again for taking pics of the install. I still have to get out and take pics of mine for the different year interiors to show as an example as well. Good stuff
Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 PM
arkangel81
Instructor

alvin's a badass with vettes.. had him do mine as well car runs like a raped ape now! one thing i think that really helped was that he programed the chip 4 my mods to maximize the benefits, and that in itself was awsome.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

I need to call Alvin, you guys have a number?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
BadjerJim
Racer

Originally Posted by zo1boy
I need to call Alvin, you guys have a number?
704-307-4227
Old 11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BadjerJim
704-307-4227
Dang, hes not in the office. I'm sure glad I hear so many good things about his work. I will definately go to him for a chip!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:17 PM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have dealt with Alvin's partner, Bryan, who handles the OBD II PCMs. I can't say enough GREAT things about these guys. All you have to do is send them an email and you will have an answer within 24 hours. They know more about how these systems work than anyone I have ever spoken to or met.

I opened my auto & truck repair shop in 1975. Operated it for almost 20 years. I have seen a lot of tuners in my time. No one even comes CLOSE to what these two guys can do!

I just hope they never raise their prices!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm a happy pcmforless (Alvin) customer too but what really blows me away is how well my stroker performs on his FIRST ATTEMPT and he didn't even have it on a dyno !!

There are "tuners" out there that couldn't get it to run this good if they had it for a week on thier dyno yet alone first mail order attempt.

Can't imagine what they could do for our cars in person.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:12 PM
TestDriver
Burning Brakes

I was thinking of getting it from bryan for my 95, but things came up. Definately will do it in the future.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 478 Likes on 133 Posts

I ordered a chip for my modded 92 A4 on Friday. I'll give a report as soon as I get it installed. Should be here sometime over the long turkeyday weekend.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I sure hope AGENT86 is reading this thread..
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Excellent if you can't fix it rip it out!!!: rofl:
Old 11-22-2006, 01:02 AM
TestDriver
Burning Brakes

Man I should order that tune!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
I'm a happy pcmforless (Alvin) customer too but what really blows me away is how well my stroker performs on his FIRST ATTEMPT and he didn't even have it on a dyno !!

There are "tuners" out there that couldn't get it to run this good if they had it for a week on thier dyno yet alone first mail order attempt.

Can't imagine what they could do for our cars in person.

I was supprised at the expert tuning as well. I had a long list of mods that he tuned it exactly to. I gave him ALL the specs, model numbers, part numbers of anything non stock that I had bolted on, or used in the engine (cam specs, etc) and right out of the mail package, it ran PERFECT.

I have heard of guys that take their cars to the local "experts" and they are constantly getting it dynoed and taking it back every few weeks to get it "retuned" because things "just aren't quite right".... I was expecting something like this (hey, a guy has to have his doubts too until he is a believer)... anyway... regardless of my doubts... i am now a believer.

Alvin is a god at tuning these things!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bryan did my '96 PCM a few months ago. The fan temp change was worth the money. Oh yeah it hauls butt now and idles perfectly with the tranny slammin' and breaking traction into 3rd.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I always say, PCMFORLESS = GOD when it comes to tuning these cars. Alvin is also a pleasure to deal with

Get notified of new replies

To pcmforless.com - results on stock 1990

Old 11-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Fantastic!

I'm really glad we where able to help you out in this situation. I really appreciate the feedback also. If you guys need anything just please let me know.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM
patsfan
Drifting

Location: Swanton VT 2000 Navy Blue Mettalic M6 / 1991 Auto - Steel Blue 68,500 R.I.P

I'm glad U posted this thread . My birthday just went by and I was thinking about putting the loot towards a tune for my 91 . I have very minor modes and am glad U like the tune with a unmodded ride .

Thanks again for the thread

PatsFan
Old 11-22-2006, 03:19 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

I sure hope AGENT86 is reading this thread..
I am, but i own the Moates burn1 now, so i will be doing my own chip.

Quick Reply: pcmforless.com - results on stock 1990