C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Kehrer923
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6?

I was wondering how to change the transmission fliud in a 93 zf 6 spd? Also, I need to fill my rear end with oil how do I do that? What oils do you guys recomend for each? :confused:
Old 09-24-2001, 11:00 PM
94VetteFern
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (Kehrer923)

Hello,
On the rear end, make sure the vehicle is supported off the ground well enough so it doesn't
fall on you .. :crazy: Make sure you have a non-metric hex set, i think it's a 3/8" don't take my
word for it, just buy a cheap set and try one that will fit in the fill socket.
Get a 12$ suction gun, the ones that look like tubes and have a plunger on one end and
a vanyl/vinyl however you spell it hose, and you will have to suck that old stuff out
thru the fill hole. Then, you can fill in new stuff, and don't forget a bottle of antislip
additive. You will also need a pump that will fit the new rear diff oil bottles so
you can pump the fresh fluid in until the fill hole start's to 'weep" or spill, out some of the
new diff fluid. Then re-install the fill plug and your done. Go for a drive, check level again
and add if needed. :D :D Good luck !
Old 09-24-2001, 11:03 PM
94VetteFern
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (94VetteFern)

Umm, on the recommended fluids... Go with what's in your manuals.
Good luck..
-Fernando
Old 09-25-2001, 10:14 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (94VetteFern)

The first response seems to apply only to the differential not transmission.

There is a 17mm drain plug in the bottom of the trans and a 17mm fill plug on the right side. Remove the side drain plug first because you want to insure you can refill it after draining.

The plugs take a 17mm allen wrench that are not easy to find. Try your neighborhood parts store first. I found a 17mm allen wrench at a swap meet for a $1 then used a metal cutting blade in my circular saw to cut off about 1.5" to use in suitable sized socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar. The plugs can be a little tough to remove.

Once drained, reinstall the bottom plug. Although I did not use thread sealant on the bottom plug, I now think it is a good idea. Use the teflon sealant paste from a tube. Although you could use the teflon thread tape, be carefull only to get on the threads as small pieces of tape could break off in the trans.

Look up the oil part number in your manual and buy 3 quarts from Chevy. It only takes about 2.2 quarts. The cost about $8/quart. Refill using a 2 foot long clear vinyl tube and funnel into the side hole. Fill until it starts coming out of the hole.

No additives are recommended for the transmission.

[Modified by Mez, 8:19 AM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 07:08 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (Mez)

The first response seems to apply only to the differential not transmission.

There is a 17mm drain plug in the bottom of the trans and a 17mm fill plug on the right side. Remove the side drain plug first because you want to insure you can refill it after draining.

The plugs take a 17mm allen wrench that are not easy to find. Try your neighborhood parts store first. I found a 17mm allen wrench at a swap meet for a $1 then used a metal cutting blade in my circular saw to cut off about 1.5" to use in suitable sized socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar. The plugs can be a little tough to remove.

Once drained, reinstall the bottom plug. Although I did not use thread sealant on the bottom plug, I now think it is a good idea. Use the teflon sealant paste from a tube. Although you could use the teflon thread tape, be carefull only to get on the threads as small pieces of tape could break off in the trans.

Look up the oil part number in your manual and buy 3 quarts from Chevy. It only takes about 2.2 quarts. The cost about $8/quart. Refill using a 2 foot long clear vinyl tube and funnel into the side hole. Fill until it starts coming out of the hole. 2 quarts was just enough; though you might want to buy a third for insurance and any spillage.

No additives are recommended for the transmission.

[Modified by Mez, 8:19 AM 9/25/2001]
I agree with about 99% of what Mez said, as I just did this about one week ago.

DEFINITELY make sure you loosen the filler plug on the side first. It's a PITA; his idea should work. I bought the 17mm allen wrench at Sears, but it was tough to do the side plug (no problem on the drain plug on the bottom). I happened to have the 'Vette at the dealer for ignition lock servicing, so they loosened the side fill plug for me upon my request.

I only bought 2 quarts because I recalled reading somewhere that you needed 1.8 (less than 2) for a refill. Maybe you would need more if doing a complete rebuild and teardown.

I used a MityVac tool to push the fluid into the tranny. Overall the job was easy; spent more time jacking up the car than draining and filling! :eek:

I used a little non-drying Permatex on the threads before putting the plugs back in. I was careful not to put any on threads that would be exposed internal to the tranny.

Good luck!

[Modified by CaliforniaLT-1, 3:09 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-26-2001, 06:29 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (CaliforniaLT-1)

The cheapest and easyest way I have found; SYRINGE!!!!! :D
Old 09-26-2001, 07:20 AM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

Default Re: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6? (CaliforniaLT-1)

Just for clarification run the vinyl tube with a funnel in it along the right hand side of the trans up along the firewall next to the engine. Mine took exactly 2.2 quarts before it started running out the fill hole. Only use the factory fluid because of its additives (which is contrary to bad advice given in Corvette Fever a few months ago regarding using Mobil 1 engine oil).
FrankLT4

Get notified of new replies

To How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6?

Quick Reply: How to add transmission fluid in a zf 6?