C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Outside temp readout acting strange...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 12:41 PM
RedWhiteandBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Outside temp readout acting strange...

When i drive the car in the morning the outside temp indicator reads correctly, but when I start it up later in the day it reads the last number displayed in the morning and never changes. As an example, when I got to work yesterday it read 50 deg; went out for awhile at lunch and it stayed 50 even though the real outside temp was about 75. Bad thermometer, loose wire, ??? Any ideas? Where is the thermometer?
Old 09-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Outside temp readout acting strange... (Barry94TorchRed)

it is located up under the front of the car, in front of the radiator. you could have some thing blocking it, also has it been wet, mine acts funny if i spray it with the hose.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:54 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it read 50 deg
:eek: That is COLD!!
Old 09-26-2001, 12:56 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

On my 89, it's on the radiator shroud and barely accurate in traffic due to engine heat. I believe it's out of production and I last saw it available at Ecklers or one of the other aftermarker suppliers. If it has shorted or is open, you should be able to get a code from the Dash Assembly. Sounds as if yours may have shifted in value, or it could be in the assembly. A quick check to determine if it's working is to put an ice cube next to it while reading resistance across the terminals. Value should change.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i drive the car in the morning the outside temp indicator reads correctly, but when I start it up later in the day it reads the last number displayed in the morning and never changes. As an example, when I got to work yesterday it read 50 deg; went out for awhile at lunch and it stayed 50 even though the real outside temp was about 75. Bad thermometer, loose wire, ??? Any ideas? Where is the thermometer?
If I remember correctly, the temperature reading will only update correctly if the vehicle has been sitting for about 3-4 hours or the vehicle has been traveling at least 40 mph for a certain amount of time.
The idea is to prevent engine heat from giving false readings.

Tom Piper
Old 09-26-2001, 02:34 PM
RedWhiteandBlue
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Outside temp readout acting strange... (Andy1983)

it read 50 deg

:eek: That is COLD!!
If I had posted this in January it would have been a single digit #... :rolleyes:
Old 09-26-2001, 02:35 PM
RedWhiteandBlue
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Outside temp readout acting strange... (SunCr)

On my 89, it's on the radiator shroud and barely accurate in traffic due to engine heat. I believe it's out of production and I last saw it available at Ecklers or one of the other aftermarker suppliers. If it has shorted or is open, you should be able to get a code from the Dash Assembly. Sounds as if yours may have shifted in value, or it could be in the assembly. A quick check to determine if it's working is to put an ice cube next to it while reading resistance across the terminals. Value should change.
Thanks, I'll try the ice cube tip....
Old 09-26-2001, 02:37 PM
RedWhiteandBlue
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Outside temp readout acting strange... (Tom Piper)

If I remember correctly, the temperature reading will only update correctly if the vehicle has been sitting for about 3-4 hours or the vehicle has been traveling at least 40 mph for a certain amount of time.
The idea is to prevent engine heat from giving false readings.

Tom Piper
I know about the delay algorithm, but this one will stay for 30 minutes without changing, and it acts much differently than the '94 we just sold. I'm thinking there's an issue with the thermometer...
Old 09-26-2001, 02:44 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

check the C68 diagnostic. look here for more info http://www.idavette.net/tech/c4diag.htm
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Outside temp readout acting strange...

Quick Reply: Outside temp readout acting strange...