C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

brake woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:56 PM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default brake woes

couple questions for you all. hopefully someone out there has had the same problems and can tell me where to start.

1. out of curiosity when the ignition switch is on (engine off) what diagnostic lights should be on and where. i have had the car almost 3 yrs and have just now noticed that no check engine light or abs light or airbag light or anything like that comes on when i first start the car....is this suppose to be like this?

2. i just replaced my brakes with a big brake kit and have put less than 500 miles on it and the back rotors are completely destroyed. the kit replaced the front calipers upgraded to 13 in rotors, new rotors for the rear, brake bias spring, 4 steel brake lines, and hawk blue pads. also since the instal my abs has stopped working and one day i noticed the gauges were flashing "sys" where the "range" and gas mileage normally appears next to the speedometer.

i have bleed the brakes numerous times and have checked all fuses, but i cant figure out why the rotors are already distroyed and i have no antilock. when driving the car everything drives normal and calipers do not seem to be sticking or grabby. any clues?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running the Hawk "Blue" 9012 pads front and rear? The "Blue" is a race compound and is extemely abrasive at low temperatures(i.e. normal street driving.) They are designed for high temp road race use. This could easily explain the worn rotors.The Hawk HP Plus is much better for street use. If you make the change to street pads and want to sell your "Blues" just PM me, I will put them to use properly and burn them up on the track.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Default No good with brakes but....

.....on the DIC information lights, yes they all should light up if you turn the key to the "on" position. As a matter of fact if you listen closely(no radio on) and leave the key on you can hear some of the checks or self tests the ABS pump runs thru.

The "sys" flashing might indicate a battery fault like low battery voltage. Like if the battery has a dead cell or another problem. It could also be signaling a fault in the ignition &/or charging wiring or battery cables & grounds. Sometimes it also indicates a lack of communication with the CCM, not sure about your yr. I have a 90 so it's a bit different from yours....my electronics are a bit primitive vs newer C4's.

All the lights will light up and go out as the ECM does the self diagnosis on each system that the car has. If you leave the key on long enough you can watch them go out.

Do you have a scan tool? You could use it in the "KOEO" and see what's up.

Tom
Old 12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

none of the lights come on. when the abs system was working i could here it do a self check but still no lights....the only light i have ever had come on is the service ride control light which is odd because i dont have ride control....btw...i have a 1990 ....any clues as to why the abs has stopped working?.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

sidney, i am going to call the place i ordered my brakes from and speak with them after which i will let you know if i want to sell them. the have less than 500 miles on them front and rear.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

one other thing, i do frequently run my brakes pretty hard driving some local roads around here....will the hawk plus pads hold up okay? the last set of pads i had turned brittle and began to break apart ( i have had the factory rotors red on occasion)
Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by sgtskid
one other thing, i do frequently run my brakes pretty hard driving some local roads around here....will the hawk plus pads hold up okay? the last set of pads i had turned brittle and began to break apart ( i have had the factory rotors red on occasion)

Do you ever go up to Lookout Mountain? I bet you could burn up some brake pads coming down those roads
Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure the park brakes are releasing fully? Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hawk HP+ is designed as a dual purpose compound for street driving as well as autocross and light track driving. They also have an HPS compound which is designed for street driving with a 20% increase in the coefficient of friction. The functional operating temp of these two starts at room temp whereas the 9012 Blue starts at a much higher temp and requires proper bedding(pad transfer to the rotor) to be effective as well as provide low rotor wear. When you brake with the 9012 compound at low temp it is very abrasive on the rotors and pads. I think the HP+ would suit your driving conditions and should hold up to some heavy use.
Sidney
Old 12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
sgtskid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
Do you ever go up to Lookout Mountain? I bet you could burn up some brake pads coming down those roads
O yeah....look out mountain, foothills parkway, cherahala (sp?) skyway, and most importantly The Dragon

Get notified of new replies

To brake woes

Quick Reply: brake woes