C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

9 Inch Ford Solid Rear Axle Conversion for C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
BigLee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

naturally, a crossmember to support the tranny would be rquired, so reinforcement of the floor stucture would be needed.
using the 4-link style (5-link actually, with the required panhard rod) would be preferable to using a torque arm setup... so no need for a special diff. housing would be necessary.

the 4 links to a solid axle could easily be made longer than the factory rods are now, so i dont think there would be much concern about them being too short.

also, exhaust system routing would be a concern, for streetable cars...

Last edited by BigLee; 12-19-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
A C4 is not a good platform for a strip only car. I think some folks are trying too hard.

-- Joe
The engine location makes the C4 a great launching car. There are not many factory suspension type cars that can pull 1.30 to 1.40 sixty foot times withtout major cutting or fabtication.
The following users liked this post:
J88L98IROCZ (11-05-2020)
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
The engine location makes the C4 a great launching car. There are not many factory suspension type cars that can pull 1.30 to 1.40 sixty foot times withtout major cutting or fabtication.
I So does changing the engine location in a cheaper more friedly body

Not saying its bad, jut not ideal for a track only car. Vega's, fbody's, some g body's make much better drag cars. More parts available, cheaper components, etc.

Up top Jesse made a comment about a 9" rear for $6500.. For $6500 you could do a rear, 4 link, front end, full cage, and still have some cash left over for 4 points, seats, and maybe even a window net on another car.

-- Joe
BoostNJuice (04-28-2021)
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

I So does changing the engine location in a cheaper more friedly body

Not saying its bad, jut not ideal for a track only car. Vega's, fbody's, some g body's make much better drag cars. More parts available, cheaper components, etc.

Up top Jesse made a comment about a 9" rear for $6500.. For $6500 you could do a rear, 4 link, front end, full cage, and still have some cash left over for 4 points, seats, and maybe even a window net on another car.

-- Joe

There would be no, or very little, advancement of motorsports if people just did what was the easiest. All I am saying is that some people like to be different and have the means to do it (money and/or knowledge) and I give them kudos for trying to do things new and different.

Maybe if more people were focused on offering performance parts for the C4, or any vette, the competition would drive the costs down. Part of the $6500 as stated is the fact there is very little economy of scale to mass produce and no real competition other than local chassis shops doing one-off jobs. Maybe if Nitroussam and some other members get this sorted out, it could influence to pricing other vendors have to offer.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLee
naturally, a crossmember to support the tranny would be rquired, so reinforcement of the floor stucture would be needed.
using the 4-link style (5-link actually, with the required panhard rod) would be preferable to using a torque arm setup... so no need for a special diff. housing would be necessary.

the 4 links to a solid axle could easily be made longer than the factory rods are now, so i dont think there would be much concern about them being too short.

also, exhaust system routing would be a concern, for streetable cars...
The only way you can make them longer is to go outside the stock frame-rails, which then eliminates the "bolt-in" ease these guys are looking for. If you make them longer it will shove the rear back, and the tires will be hitting the rear fender well.

To fit any appreciable tire size suitable for drag racing which is what is going to be the primary target market - you will need to be able to fit at least a 28" and that is what I run now...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everyone seems to think the exhuast is a big problem on a solid rear and believe me it's not, you will be able to run the exhuast the same way as factory under the rear it's just you don't want the coilover set up too soft, so the car would'nt dip farther that it do with a IRS that's the key. I looked at a member on this forum car, and is very doable the money just hold me back for right now.
Randy
Old 12-19-2006, 08:10 PM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A C4 is not a good platform for a strip only car. I think some folks are trying too hard.

-- Joe
WHAT!

Let's see: 10%+ engine set back, a beater C4 is lots cheaper than 67-69 Camaro, very aerodynamic, easy to make it lighter, any SBC or BBC will fit, the only thing that requires any real sweat is the rear and 95% here wouldn't do it themself.

Guess I'd better start looking for a "good platform" to replace greenie!
Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedup
WHAT!

Let's see: 10%+ engine set back, a beater C4 is lots cheaper than 67-69 Camaro, very aerodynamic, easy to make it lighter, any SBC or BBC will fit, the only thing that requires any real sweat is the rear and 95% here wouldn't do it themself.

Guess I'd better start looking for a "good platform" to replace greenie!
Dave
Pretty much what I was thinking. Plus there aren't many cars with as cool front suspension and you can buy a decent used C4 project car for $2,500 to $5,000 pretty much anywhere. The C4 is one heck of a value in my book and I have a feeling the aftermarket is going to be paying more attention to our cars in the coming years.

Last edited by NitrousSam; 12-19-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

-- Joe
Good one how many race cars did you build ? i did most of the work myself and it passed $6500 for all the stuff you mentioned. going fast in a vette takes alot of money .
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Just to sit the record straight, the kit from Leo is not a bolt in kit and it does not use the stock mounts. The front, 4 bar mount needs to be welded in.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sam - at 3K I'd be in most likely.

Keep us posted!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

-- Joe
Yeah, you're right, except for all the successful ones out there.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...htribute-1.wmv

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...barnaby730.wmv

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...nowicked85.wmv

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...n_5-7-0014.wmv

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...n_5-7-0013.wmv

and that's just a few from my track
BoostNJuice (04-28-2021)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
Mine has a best of 1.67, stock suspension, stock engine.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red L98
Good one how many race cars did you build ? i
In the last 10 years?

Some of you folks obviously take things too personal, so whatever. I love vettes too, thats why I bought one. But I didn't buy it to make an all out drag car, infact, I bought it to get away from that. Been there done that, but I'm glad you are having fun and wish you the best of luck with your project.

-- Joe
Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 AM
red L98
Melting Slicks

In the last 10 years?

Some of you folks obviously take things too personal, so whatever. I love vettes too, thats why I bought one. But I didn't buy it to make an all out drag car, infact, I bought it to get away from that. Been there done that, but I'm glad you are having fun and wish you the best of luck with your project.

-- Joe
I should be reading more carefully,:o I thought you said that with $6500 you can do all the stuff you mentioned for a vette, I didn’t know you meant on a different car like a mustang or a camaro. your 100% correct about that, with the money i spent on my vette i could be going 8s with a different car, I just like to take on a bigger challenge and be a little different. In fact before I went to a straight axle, I bought a roller mustang and took all the stuff I had in the vette out to put in a notchback mustang. I was going to build a sbc mustang, and turn the vette back into a cruiser. Then it hit me , going 8s in a mustang is not so special , my friends do it all summer long, so I put the vette back together. Everytime I spend money on the car I wish I went with the mustang….hopefully its all worth it in the end.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red L98
I should be reading more carefully,:o I thought you said that with $6500 you can do all the stuff you mentioned for a vette, I didn’t know you meant on a different car like a mustang or a camaro. your 100% correct about that, with the money i spent on my vette i could be going 8s with a different car, I just like to take on a bigger challenge and be a little different. In fact before I went to a straight axle, I bought a roller mustang and took all the stuff I had in the vette out to put in a notchback mustang. I was going to build a sbc mustang, and turn the vette back into a cruiser. Then it hit me , going 8s in a mustang is not so special , my friends do it all summer long, so I put the vette back together. Everytime I spend money on the car I wish I went with the mustang….hopefully its all worth it in the end.
Cool, you agree with my point of view and I agree with yours. What you just said is exactly what I was trying to explain, before a bunch of folks jumped in and tried to hang me. haha.

BTW, I'm in about $17000.00 (yes) since MAY, and it will probably only go high 11s n/a at the track, but I have a good idea it might actually corner which will be new for me

-- Joe
Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
I would say your going to have about 5000 dollars MINIMUM in just the items required to put the setup together.....that is with no labor or anything.
Leo quotes $6500 for the rear installed with stock brakes. And just like you say, $5000 of that goes to the parts. So in reality, the labor is $1500.

Get notified of new replies

To 9 Inch Ford Solid Rear Axle Conversion for C4

Old 12-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

In the last 10 years?

-- Joe
Lots of these folks had the car first and slowly converted over the years, some did it to specifically race in our series.

Sometimes you have to work with what you have.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
Leo quotes $6500 for the rear installed with stock brakes. And just like you say, $5000 of that goes to the parts. So in reality, the labor is $1500.
That $5,000.00 has gone to $5,875.00
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Lots of these folks had the car first and slowly converted over the years, some did it to specifically race in our series.

Sometimes you have to work with what you have.
Mojo is 100 % right I brought a vette just to run in the CC at etown and it isn't that expensive to make a C4 run if you do the work yourself. I've had the car just about 2 years, and it was challenging to get the FI to run the way I wanted it to but my only hold back is the rear I beleive I can run high 11s and drive it anywere if it had a rear. (12 bolt or 9") Like I said earlier on this topic you have to launch a gen I s/b ( 350 not 400 they have torque to get them going) hard to go solid into the 11s. and most of the time you need a 3000 - 3200 rpm launch with a tire that will hook. ooops there goes the rear
Randy

Quick Reply: 9 Inch Ford Solid Rear Axle Conversion for C4