C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 parking brake ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 AM
95 blue pig
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 parking brake ??

On my 95 auto vette ,if I apply the P.brake, than lower the lever so I can get out of the car. Than when I restart the car to leave the brake seems to release automaticly. A mechanic said it cant release by its self ,its A rachet action that pulls A cable tight.. But I never release mine by hand and no brake lite comes on after restarting and leaving.I think it is automatic release,RIGHT!!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:16 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 blue pig
On my 95 auto vette ,if I apply the P.brake, than lower the lever so I can get out of the car. Than when I restart the car to leave the brake seems to release automaticly. A mechanic said it cant release by its self ,its A rachet action that pulls A cable tight.. But I never release mine by hand and no brake lite comes on after restarting and leaving.I think it is automatic release,RIGHT!!
No. Have any rear pads left?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vis Croceus
No. Have any rear pads left?
If the handle moves up and down with no resistance and the button NOT pushed in your E-brake is still engaged. There is NO automatic release and give your mechanic a raise.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
jimgoss
Cruising

Default Yet another question

The parking brake handle of my 88 has lost its "ratchet" action. The brake works but will not engage in the on position. Is this a handle issue or something in the rear break?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:07 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jimgoss
The parking brake handle of my 88 has lost its "ratchet" action. The brake works but will not engage in the on position. Is this a handle issue or something in the rear break?
Its in the handle assembly

And to the OP Have your mechanic check your rear pads I would tell you to do it yourself but anyone who thinks C4s had an automatic parking brake release cant be trusted to do this kind of thing
Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it is in the handle, not the back.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
lefoy84
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimgoss
Hijacking the man's thread is poor form!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:38 AM
95 blue pig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aminnich
If the handle moves up and down with no resistance and the button NOT pushed in your E-brake is still engaged. There is NO automatic release and give your mechanic a raise.
the p.brake lever works fine. I understand how the rachet thing works. If I apply p.brake ,but need to get out of car,I can lower the handle and the remains engaged. If I turn the key on the brake lite stays on. But if I start the car and put it in drive there is no brake light on the car rolls easily.If I than pull the brake lever I get resistance right from the beginning of the pull. Last time I checked rear pads they were good,but I will look again. And yes the p.brake holds pretty well.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When you apply the park brake, lift the lever and it will click..more than one time. The brake light on the DIC should come on. To release the park brake, Pull up on the lever and it should not click and will move loosely up and down. While in the up position, press the "button" on the end of the lever in and let the lever down. The light on the DIC should go out.

As stated there is no "automatic" release on any year C4.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 parking brake ??

Quick Reply: 95 parking brake ??