C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Recommend a Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Recommend a Head Gasket

383 LT4, AFR 210's, 9:1 compression, 14 PSI boost, alcohol injection. What would you use? Right now, I'm leaning toward Fel Pro MLS gaskets if they make an LTx application.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Fatt Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
383 LT4, AFR 210's, 9:1 compression, 14 PSI boost, alcohol injection. What would you use? Right now, I'm leaning toward Fel Pro MLS gaskets if they make an LTx application.
MLS is a great way to go, but make sure your machine shop FULLY understands the surface finish criteria necessary when decking your block and/or resurfacing your heads.

The rivets that hold the gasket together also interfer with the AFR head deck and will not allow them to seat completely, so make sure to cut reliefs in the heads.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Fatt Vette
The rivets that hold the gasket together also interfer with the AFR head deck and will not allow them to seat completely, so make sure to cut reliefs in the heads.
All you need to do is remove the rivets. The dowels in the block will locate the gasket and keep the layers lined up.

I just bought a set of the Fel Pro MLS's. Been using the Cometics for years now. The coating on the Fel Pro's are actually tacky. Just looking at them out of the package I like them. They will pick up dust and dirt so be careful in handling them.

With the Cometics I've always used a sealer (spray copper) on them contary to what Cometic recommends and have never had any sealing issues with them. The sealer makes up for minor surface irregularities in the machine work. Without the sealer the surface needs to be smooth almost to the point that you can't feel scratches with a finger nail.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
dr.juice
Instructor

Well....I've been using Cometics and no complain. The last time I rebuilded the engine, they sent me a wrong set of gasket. I did use the old one and no problemo...600+rwhp with boost and juice and the old Cometics did the job.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Cometic is the way to go if you have a freshly surfaced deck and head.

If you are replacing a blown head gasket Felpro makes a performance head gasket that has been holding up for me just fine.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, I recommend re-torquing after the first warm-up. Huge PITA, but I have had the same old Fel-Pro permatorque blues on an 11psi Vortech S/C car for over 3 years with no issues
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Some local folks seem to have trouble with the Cometics leaking. I was planning to stay away from them if possible. I do have studs and plan to retorque after breaking the engine in. Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:17 PM
ztrips
Pro

I have Cometics and a leak... I had the combustion chambers coated and I think that is my problem. No compression leak, but I have an oil leak that starts at the oil drainback holes and goes to the rear of the motor. No fun.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Yeah, that is the type of leak that I have been warned about.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your block and head surfaces has to be cut on a CBN machine rather than an old style surface grinder. If you have or had it cut on a old machine I wouldn't bother attempting to use the MLS gaskets. I had a engine prepped on a old style machine and the damn thing leaked, basically it will seep oil. I am using a set of LT4 GM composite gasket with studs making 12 to 14 PSI and have not experienced any issues. They key to making this work is to avoid any detonation, if you do that with a good tune a standard composite gasket or even a Fel-Pro 1074 will work fine as long as studs are used. If you attempt to use the MLS, and in the case of the LTx engines it will have to be either Mr Gasket or Cometic, and be advised that Cometic makes Mr Gaskets MLS gaskets in one flavor that being said they are made as a .040 thick gasket, and in both cases you will need to remove the rivets for clearance or notch the heads. I suggest removing the rivets and coating them with copper coat.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Cometics with copper coating for many years in boosted applications with no issues. Even turning the boost up has not caused an issue, to date. (knocking on wood)

But, I think one thing that is helping is that the block and heads were prepared for MLS type of gasket, And the AFR heads have the extra thick deck, which helps keep them seated.

Aaron
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
ztrips
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Yeah, that is the type of leak that I have been warned about.
So is there a fix for this, other than pulling the heads off and using another gasket?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 09:32 AM
97AGGIE
Instructor

Always used Cometic w/a copper coating w/no probs. Almost 13:1 and nitrous here!

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend a Head Gasket

Quick Reply: Recommend a Head Gasket