C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does the Accel DFI 7 control shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
vette850
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Accel DFI 7 control shifting?

I took a long trip on the highway yesterday with my '85 coupe which has a 700R-4 tranny and a 2.73 rear. Normally it would rev around 2200 at 80 mph in 4th gear. For the first time, I noticed that the transmission would not shift into 4th gear unless I let off the gas pedal. As soon as I pushed on the throttle at all......the revs went back way up to around 4200 rpm at anywhere between 70 and 80 mph. My question is: Is the transmission controls by the Accel DFI...and if so , is it possible that the tuner messed up when he programmed it. Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to get the datalink cable to go between the module and my laptop?

-Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vette850
I took a long trip on the highway yesterday with my '85 coupe which has a 700R-4 tranny and a 2.73 rear. Normally it would rev around 2200 at 80 mph in 4th gear. For the first time, I noticed that the transmission would not shift into 4th gear unless I let off the gas pedal. As soon as I pushed on the throttle at all......the revs went back way up to around 4200 rpm at anywhere between 70 and 80 mph. My question is: Is the transmission controls by the Accel DFI...and if so , is it possible that the tuner messed up when he programmed it. Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to get the datalink cable to go between the module and my laptop?

-Thanks
No a DFI system does not control a 700R4. It can control the Torque Converter Clutch, but most people leave that to the OE ECM. Or they control it with other external means.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
vette850
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the shop that installed the DFI took out the stock ECM. So do you think something is wrong with my torque converter?? What else could be the problem?
-Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even without the lockup that sounds like way too much RPM with 2.73's at that speed. Is the TV cable adjustment way out of wack holding the transmission in 3rd if the throttle is opened at all?

BTW - The converter lockup is controlled by the factory '85 ECM, or would be if it was in there. The Shift points are not - it works the "old way" with the TV cable and governor pressure controls.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the Accel DFI 7 control shifting?

Quick Reply: Does the Accel DFI 7 control shifting?