C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 OptiSpark

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
RoperC4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 OptiSpark

My stuff has gone wack.

If I purchase this is this all I need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Any better deals? Im new into c4 and straight into a bad optispark.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

It is a good idea to change the waterpump while you're at it. If the waterpump starts leaking it can destroy your opti. The msd unit looks real nice but I have no first hand experience with it. I replaced mine with a AC Delco unit for around $300.00 Good luck and if you get stuck
we can help.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
RoperC4
Racer

I can get an accel optispark for 240. Should I go that route?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoperC4
I can get an accel optispark for 240. Should I go that route?
MSD is the better unit... you have PM, btw
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM
clf93lt1
Pro

stay away from accel opti.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
It is a good idea to change the waterpump while you're at it. If the waterpump starts leaking it can destroy your opti. The msd unit looks real nice but I have no first hand experience with it. I replaced mine with a AC Delco unit for around $300.00 Good luck and if you get stuck
we can help.
Change the water pump. There used to be a guy around here from a...hmm...Superior Chevrolet I think...Chris maybe. He used to give forum members great deals on the pumps. That's where I got mine. Hopefully someone will chime in with his info.

There is a good article in the tech tips section on installing these items! I do not have any experience with the MSD unit, as I replaced mine with a stock unit and modified it to accpet the vacuum tube. The picture of the MSD shows the tube inlet. However, be sure that if it is year specific it actually has that option!!!!!

Good luck!

-Rick
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

My stuff has gone wack.

Just did the waterpump & opti on my 92.

Replace the waterpump while you are in there, ya gotta take it off anyway. Cheap insurance. I went to the Dyanspark for 2 reasons: track record, active venting. Yea its $600+, but once you get everything apart you probably don't want to do it again for a real long time.

Also check your serpentine belt, if its a two sided belt and missing chunks get a new one from NAPA. Replace your tensioner.

Also while you have it all apart consider replacing plugs and wires. It was not too difficult to do them with everything apart.

I wound up doing the opti, water pump, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, and egr and she runs like a new car.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
RoperC4
Racer

Thanks alot you guys. How much did it end up costing you doing all that at one time? I wouldnt mind doing it. I can smuggle 600+ for that opti if i must but might just do the stock one along with all the other things you listed. Sure would be nice to get the performance back and enjoy that supercharger.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's spend some more of that $....why not go with a Meziere hi-flo water pump while you're in there
Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Definitely replace the waterpump at the same time, since a leaking waterpump is a sure way to kill your new optispark. It's also well worth replacing the three oil seals while you're in there... crankshaft, waterpump shaft, and optispark shaft. I believe those are the three.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM
RoperC4
Racer

Jeeze, this is getting complicated. I wish I just had a link to all parts i need and a total. Then I can do the work myself. I gotta see how much money to hustle up.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Check out tld-corvette.com for great prices on AC Delco parts and great service. Their online catalog isn't complete but they'll have everything you need if you call.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

My stuff has gone wack.

I was also new into a creampuff 26k 1993 and also into a bad optispark.

I replaced with a custom vented cap from a later model optispark (95-96) and a replacement 92-93 optispark unit.

At 50k, there are no issues with the spark.

I would go dynaspark due to its unique design and proven track record.

If you dont have the cash, go like I did with an OEM unit and later model OEM vented cap (you'll have to rig in some vacuum fittings - no biggie).

I would NOT go MSD or accel. Many of their products (MSD Digital 6 plus and MSD 8.5mm wires -that spark arc'd brand new) are garbage.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can find better prices than "thepartsladi", then go for it... I have used these guys for a bunch of parts for my '93, they ship fast, and you can call them on the phone and they are real nice folks...

$288 for GM 1993 PART# 10457702 OPTI SPARK NEW AC DELCO

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Thepar...346802QQsofpZ0
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
Let's spend some more of that $....why not go with a Meziere hi-flo water pump while you're in there
Stock is fine.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Agent
Stock is fine.
I caution you on this, there have been a few issues of Meizere water pumps fuses blowing, wiring melts, etc. for some forum members where I remember hearing stuff about warped heads and stuff like that.

Although most people seem to have no problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

For that kind of money I would be looking into the opti-spark eliminator kits (someone help me out with this one).. I think its called a DTCC modification or something.. it basically useds the clapped out opti carcass as just a crank trigger and uses caddy coils to fire the spark.. This seems to be a very reliable system..

if thats too high tech.. I would go along with the others and recommend a dynaspark if you dont want to go for the stock unit.. for what MSD gives you 515.00 is outrageous!!! to advance the timing you use a new chip (programming) not some knucklehead advance screw crap..

I have 174k miles on my C4.. 136k of which I have personally put on it over 10 years.. I have put on two optisparks in that time and both have been the non-vented stock 1993 deals that I got for around 250.00 each.. thats 70k miles (and counting) apiece - this includes the one i replaced for the hell of it while I was building the stroker motor.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 OptiSpark

Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Desert1957
Racer

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
For that kind of money I would be looking into the opti-spark eliminator kits (someone help me out with this one).. I think its called a DTCC modification or something.. it basically useds the clapped out opti carcass as just a crank trigger and uses caddy coils to fire the spark.. This seems to be a very reliable system..

if thats too high tech.. I would go along with the others and recommend a dynaspark if you dont want to go for the stock unit.. for what MSD gives you 515.00 is outrageous!!! to advance the timing you use a new chip (programming) not some knucklehead advance screw crap..

I have 174k miles on my C4.. 136k of which I have personally put on it over 10 years.. I have put on two optisparks in that time and both have been the non-vented stock 1993 deals that I got for around 250.00 each.. thats 70k miles (and counting) apiece - this includes the one i replaced for the hell of it while I was building the stroker motor.
I like this set-up to replace the Opti.

http://www.delteq.com/opti_pricing.htm

Desert
Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I caution you on this, there have been a few issues of Meizere water pumps fuses blowing, wiring melts, etc. for some forum members where I remember hearing stuff about warped heads and stuff like that.

Although most people seem to have no problem.
Most of these types of failures can likely be traced to improper installation, use of undersize wiring, etc. typical of a DIY install. Use of a relay would go a long way in rectifying any potential problems with excessive current draw. I relay ANY high-current devices, electric water pumps, nitrous system and purge solenoids, etc. It's not rocket science, just common sense.

Getting back to the OP's problem, though... You should replace the water pump when you do the Optispark, as you're already in there anyway. The expense is minor compared to replacing the pump and Opti later (though I've still not heard of any water intrusion failures for the MSD units). Better safe than sorry, plus you do the job only once.

You do NOT have to replace the front crankshaft seal unless you want to (I wouldn't unless it's leaking...don't fix what's not broken), and you don't have to pull the hub to get the Opti off, so why bother it if it's not leaking? If it is leaking, then I'd recommend replacing it, but it's your call.

Good luck in whatever you decide...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clf93lt1
stay away from accel opti.
What's the reason for this comment?????

Quick Reply: 1993 OptiSpark