C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can anyone help me about crossfire injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM
k9kohl
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your comments and input so I guess I didnt do so bad after all. I did just fill it up for the 1st time since I had it and added Lucas fuel injector/carb cleaner and outlaw octane boost and was told to do that every other fill up Appreciate the help.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by k9kohl
Thank you all for your comments and input so I guess I didnt do so bad after all. I did just fill it up for the 1st time since I had it and added Lucas fuel injector/carb cleaner and outlaw octane boost and was told to do that every other fill up Appreciate the help.
You'll be fine no worries as far as the crossfire is concerned. If you do have any issues just post them here on the forum there are some real experts here.

congrats on the new vette
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Not sure why you'd need the outlaw, My 84' likes 85 octane
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no need at all for the octane booster... you really need to stop listening to all those "experts."

The L83 and L98 are rather low compression, so pump premium is all they will ever need (when stock). Depending, many can run on 89 or even 87.

Try some SeaFoam. It's cool stuff. It will clean up the valves and gunk like nobodies business. I did it to the wifes Vette, and this big assed plume of white crap came out of the tail pipe. It's delivered via the power brake booster hose whilst the engine is running.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=CFI-EFI;1559523507]That can't be the real color of the wheels. NOBODY would do that to a Corvette. I think they were just "photo-shopped" to match the date of the picture.

Yep, I really did that to my wheels-it's a life size hot wheels car as it were, and it matches my bike(Repsol CBR thou). I like it. It's a epoxy base w/3 coats color 3 coats clear on the wheels-originally black. I had the car washed before the show and wiped it down when I got there. Gave me lotsa time to look around while everyone else was scrubbing and waxing-still won a trophy

Last edited by xrcrx; 03-25-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I LIKE those wheels. That's CHEVY ORANGE.
That color has been called CHEVY ORANGE for long as I can remember....which isn't long, these dayz.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by VetNutJim
Why do you NEVER hear about what a pile of crap the 82 Vettes are??????? Hmmmmm.......
It's always these sorry old '84 Vettes that are NO GOOD.

How about not buying one and leave them out there for ME to buy. I've been seriously considering getting myself ANOTHER '84 Vette to go with ............anyway............. They are ALMOST GIVING them away now.

I got one. ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. I've had it for dang near TEN YEARS now.

I rarely even raise the hood on it. It just goes and goes like the 'Battery Bunny'.

BTW, that hood CoupeGuy mentioned is a COLD AIR INTAKE system... built into the hood.
The rest of'em ain't got THAT!!!

It's hasn't got the HP some other Vettes have but.....
It 'FEELS' good and DRIVES great.

I've got a Z06 that has outrageous HP.... and there's NO PLACE on the street I can practically 'let'er rip'.
So all that HP sits in the garage most of the time.

But my '84 gets driven quite regularly. Even when it sits for a few weeks, when I get in it, it cranks right up with the first touch of the key and it runs until I turn it off.

I wash it. I drive it. I change oil on it, I drive it. I vacumm the carpets, I drive it.

The CrossFire fuel injection requires just about Z-E-R-O maintenence.
And sitting directly under it is.....drum roll...... a famous Small Block Chevy engine.

I've found that about 99% of the folks that knock the CrossFire have NEVER owned one.

Another BTW...... My '84 Corvette has 151,000 Miles on that sorry old ORIGINAL CrossFire engine AND transmission.
How in 'de WURLD did it EVER make it THAT far since it's such a 'bad', "BAD', BAAADDD old engine.
They ALL should be THIS bad. Don't you think?
100% I have had my '84 for 3 years. THe only problem I have ever had was a relay that went bad. It took $12 and 30 seconds to fix.

I do regular oil changes and filter changes, it is going strong with 120k miles on it... all original
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Octane boost in a 9.00:1 engine??? Whoever advised you to do that, should be shot. It's time for you to learn a little about cars.

Originally Posted by bogus
It's delivered via the power brake booster hose whilst the engine is running.
On a Crossfire, you jest por it down them 'lectric carbs.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
On a Crossfire, you jest por it down them 'lectric carbs.

RACE ON!!!
Cool. I wasn't sure if that was the best bet with the xfire. I know the booster hose works well.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by bogus
Cool. I wasn't sure if that was the best bet with the xfire. I know the booster hose works well.

Thanks for the clarification!
Thats how I did it, but be careful to pour slowly so you dont hydrolock it.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Nothing wrong with a 82 or 84 Crossfire as long as you understand how to work on them from the intake manifold up. They are very reliable if setup and maintained correctly, more than you would think. The TB shafts is one of the biggy items that needs to be looked at sometime over 50K on most CFs. If you can grab the linkage at the TBs and it moves, its bad...period and needs to be bushed, the bad shafts cause another vacuum leak and you will have idle issues and make it impossible to balance the TBs. The other item is the fuel pump, replace it with the 85 vette fuel pump and be done with it. Set the FP @14psi and the car will run like a champ as long as the TBs are balanced correctly and TPS set and thats where most people make the mistake and screw up the performance.

A couple of CFI places to visit are:

http://www.crossfire.homeip.net

http://www.crossfireinjection.net
Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

I think the 84's are quite cool, they get a bad rep. mostly from people who have never so much as sat in one. I would like to buy one with the Z51 handling package and tweak it's handling even more and up the power a little too. What an awesome sleeper Corvette that would be.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:18 PM
bogus
Team Owner

IMHO, the only real weakness with the 84 Vette is the lack of a D44 on the manual cars.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
The other item is the fuel pump, replace it with the 85 vette fuel pump and be done with it.
If the stock 1984 pump is up to standards (test it) then there is nothing to be gained by a different fuel pump.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Kahunah911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default If You Build It, It Will Run...

Years ago I owned an 82 Camaro Z/28 Pace Car. It had the 305 with Cross-Fire. It ran ok, but back then they were very low on hp. Any way, I wanted to build a 350 for it and keep it CFI. Lots of people told me I was wasting my time, it wouldn't run, would be un-dependable yada, yada, yada. But no one would give me any credible reasons why this would be. So, thick headed yankee that I am, I built it anyway. 10.25:1 cr, 214 dur@.050 488 lift. tubular headers, MSD, lots of hours port matching and polishing the intake, balanced bottom end, Hypertech Corvette prom. The result? Well let's just say that my buddy with the big bad 5.0 GT Mustang got his butt whipped on a regular basis while I got @24mpg with all the dependable power I could use. IMO, nothing wrong with CFI, as for it's dependability, how many TBI small block trucks are still out there running? CFI is just basically that.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 AM
SHINOBI-X
Drifting

TBI has its limits low but they are simple and dependable,I miss my 84' and will have another someday....
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 AM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see ya hangin' out Shinobi You and a few others were a big help in my choice of mods so far on mine. 14.3@96 so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone help me about crossfire injection

Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Quote:
The other item is the fuel pump, replace it with the 85 vette fuel pump and be done with it.

If the stock 1984 pump is up to standards (test it) then there is nothing to be gained by a different fuel pump.

RACE ON!!!
The 82/84 pumps are normally weak (1 out of 10 are good) so to change it with the 85 pump and be done with it works. Save yourself the trouble later...Besides...Pumps are cheap, if they were hundreds of dollars then I'd test it and see what the max pressure the pump would put out. Set it @14psi and it will run very well with a stock ECM. Another thing to consider if using a 82/84 pump is, if it is lets say putting out 13psi at idle (which technically would be ok) under a hard load it probably will drop off under 12psi which is not an acceptable pressure and run lean at high end. Thats why I say go with the 85 pump. I'm running that pump, a stiffer spring in a stock regulator and also modified that a tad more. I can get 35psi out of the regulator, but it can't handle that much pressure and blows fuel everywhere. I then cut it back to 25psi with no problem, but cut it back even more to 20psi with the 80lbph injectors and the motor likes it a lot. I also run the 8746, Ostrich and EBL.

This is just my opinion on the subject and as always, others will vary, no biggy, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 03-26-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

The 82/84 pumps are normally weak (1 out of 10 are good) so to change it with the 85 pump and be done with it works. Save yourself the trouble later...Besides...Pumps are cheap, if they were hundreds of dollars then I'd test it and see what the max pressure the pump would put out. Set it @14psi and it will run very well with a stock ECM. Another thing to consider if using a 82/84 pump is, if it is lets say putting out 13psi at idle (which technically would be ok) under a hard load it probably will drop off under 12psi which is not an acceptable pressure and run lean at high end.
It is not correct that 12 psi of fuel pressure is unacceptable. The spec is 9- 13 psi. The test is to see if the pump will maintain a steady pressure, within specs, under all conditions, and at full demand. My test includes reading a pressure gauge during a full 1/4 mile pass, winding the engine higher than usual, to create the maximum fuel demand for the pump. I have my fuel pressure set at 14 psi. During 1/4 miles passes, shifting at 6200 rpms, the pressure gauge needle did not even flinch. It did the same set a 17 psi. but it was blowing black smoke the whole 1/4 mile. With 1 in 10 being good, what are the odds that I have had all three in a row, good pumps. If and when an '84 needs a pump, an '85 pump is a good idea, but an '85 pump won't improve a thing over a properly operating '84 pump. To change just for the sake of the change is to throw away the life left in the old pump. For those that like to throw money away and follow the false fad of the week, just chase the rumors and the flock and needlessly change your pump. If one uses their head, they can save some bucks.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
It is not correct that 12 psi of fuel pressure is unacceptable. The spec is 9- 13 psi. The test is to see if the pump will maintain a steady pressure, within specs, under all conditions, and at full demand. My test includes reading a pressure gauge during a full 1/4 mile pass, winding the engine higher than usual, to create the maximum fuel demand for the pump. I have my fuel pressure set at 14 psi. During 1/4 miles passes, shifting at 6200 rpms, the pressure gauge needle did not even flinch. It did the same set a 17 psi. but it was blowing black smoke the whole 1/4 mile. With 1 in 10 being good, what are the odds that I have had all three in a row, good pumps. If and when an '84 needs a pump, an '85 pump is a good idea, but an '85 pump won't improve a thing over a properly operating '84 pump. To change just for the sake of the change is to throw away the life left in the old pump. For those that like to throw money away and follow the false fad of the week, just chase the rumors and the flock and needlessly change your pump. If one uses their head, they can save some bucks.

RACE ON!!!
CFI is right... no question.

I have heard a lot of talk about the later pumps... but it never really made a lot of sense to me. There is a rather large difference in pressures and the regulator is only going to lower it...

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me about crossfire injection