C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1.6 roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 PM
rabiddawg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget if your gonna use full rollers youll need guideplates and hardened pushrods!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman8924
they are a rocker arm that just has a roller tip. i got mine from summit comp makes the ones i got
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294863040
I couldn't tell from your link, but if those are the self aligning rockers, like your car came with, you didn't need the push rods. If they are non-self aligning rocker arms, I hope the push rods you ordered are the HARDENED push rods. You will need then to keep them from wearing out against the guide plates you have yet to order. See post #16 @ 1:08 PM if you need the details. You have the 113 heads.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by rabiddawg
dont forget if your gonna use full rollers youll need guideplates and hardened pushrods!
That isn't necessarily true. And whether they are FULL rollers it not has anything to do with it. Read the thread, That has all been covered.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...If they are non-self aligning rocker arms, I hope the push rods you ordered are the HARDENED push rods.
Good point.
Are those "stamped rockers" self-aligning or not?
What comes with the "kit"?
It won't hurt to preplace the push rods, what length RP did you order?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no it is still on their should i take it off? and also i ordered comp cams stamped roller rocker setup with new pushrods hope that is all i need other than springs..
On this kind of upgrade on a 1989 motor all you need is FULL roller rockers and LT4 springs. You can get full aluminum RR's from a reputable supplier for about $230. You can get LT4 springs from GMPP for $30. You don't need new pushrods. Spend the money on the things that have the most impact. Buying roller tip only stamped RR's and hardened pushrods is a waste of time and money IMO.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Good point.
Are those "stamped rockers" self-aligning or not?
Since vetteman8924 never would say, I went to the trouble to check out the rocker arms. They ARE self aligning. It appears the "kit" is the rocker arms and the (unneeded) push rods. The unnecessary push rods won't hurt a thing, but unless he knows he has problems with the existing push rods, they were a needless expense. Hopefully he won't have to buy yet another set, to correct any geometry problems. The GOOD news is that they are the self aligning rockers and he doesn't need to buy anything else to "adapt" them.

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
On this kind of upgrade on a 1989 motor all you need is FULL roller rockers...
Not really. The bearings (rollers) DO reduce the friction, but especially for this application they would show no increase in performance. In fact for $100.00 less than he spent, he could have bought plain, stamped steel rockers, without the roller tip.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Since vetteman8924 never would say, I went to the trouble to check out the rocker arms. They ARE self aligning. It appears the "kit" is the rocker arms and the (unneeded) push rods. The unnecessary push rods won't hurt a thing, but unless he knows he has problems with the existing push rods, they were a needless expense. Hopefully he won't have to buy yet another set, to correct any geometry problems. The GOOD news is that they are the self aligning rockers and he doesn't need to buy anything else to "adapt" them.

Not really. The bearings (rollers) DO reduce the friction, but especially for this application they would show no increase in performance. In fact for $100.00 less than he spent, he could have bought plain, stamped steel rockers, without the roller tip.

RACE ON!!!
You misunderstood my statement or took it out of context. The point was, with the proper full roller rockers and springs you have a complete upgraded mod without need for additional parts. ie pushrods, guideplates, etc. Why would he buy what he already has. (stamped steel rockers without a roller tip).
The title of the thread indicates he wants 1.6 roller rockers not a replacement for what he already has.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can get full aluminum RR's from a reputable supplier for about $230.
For $30 more he could get the CC ProMagnum RRs which are stronger than the Al and have lower rotating mass.

When I did my setup I Summit had a delay so I ordered from CC direct and had parts the next day.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
vetteman8924
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not that i would not say i wasnt on the forum till now!! as for the pushrods why not change them when you are in to the motor changing the rockers?? well different strokes for different folks..
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

You misunderstood my statement or took it out of context. The point was, with the proper full roller rockers and springs you have a complete upgraded mod without need for additional parts. ie pushrods, guideplates, etc.
The point wasn't properly made. You didn't write what you were thinking. I responded to what you wrote. It was YOU the capitalized the word "FULL" in the statement, "On this kind of upgrade on a 1989 motor all you need is FULL roller rockers and LT4 springs.", stressing the, "FULL rollers" as the main point of the subject. The rollers, full or otherwise, reduce friction, which is what I wrote about following my quote of your statement. Whether the new rocker arms are self aligning or not, which you didn't address, is what dictates the need for guide plates and hardened push rods, not whether the rockers are "FULL roller" or not.

Why would he buy what he already has. (stamped steel rockers without a roller tip). The title of the thread indicates he wants 1.6 roller rockers not a replacement for what he already has.
I never suggested that he might (should) buy what he already has. In case you are unaware, "stamped steel rockers without a roller tip" are also available in the 1.6:1 ratio he is looking for. These by CRANE, or these SUMMIT brand rockers. YOU are the one reading false meaning into the posts of others. Just because you don't know what I'm talking about, doesn't mean that I don't.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
The '88 uses the 128 heads, doesn't it? Those heads should have non-self aligning rockers with "real" guide plates and hardened push rods, stock. All they should require is the new, non-self aligning replacement rockers. All the 1989, 113, heads would need is a set of self aligning rockers or, if changing over, the plates and rods as I outlined above.

RACE ON!!!
I think you have already proved what you don't know. You don't know much about the setup on 113 heads at all and are learning as you go. All you have done so far is muddy the waters on a very simple issue.
If you want to spend the rest of the day parsing my words go ahead, but I have been consistent with my answers regarding how I would approach the original question.
Have a nice day!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 374 Likes on 310 Posts

its not that i would not say i wasnt on the forum till now!! as for the pushrods why not change them when you are in to the motor changing the rockers?? well different strokes for different folks..
Why waste the money if you don't need to?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

I think you have already proved what you don't know. You don't know much about the setup on 113 heads at all and are learning as you go.
You have a real comprehension problem. Where you quoted me, I was asking if the previously mentioned, at that time, 1988, used the 128 or the 113 heads, so I described the situation for both. I was told and I apologized for any confusion I may have caused, by unnecessarily including the 128 info. BUT, the comment, "You don't know much about the setup on 113 heads at all and are learning as you go." is totally incorrect and unfounded. I completely, accurately, and concisely, described both the 128 and 113 head set ups. Back up your accusations.

Your false accusations are only a weak attempt to draw the attention from your deficient postings.

...but I have been consistent with my answers regarding how I would approach the original question.
Have a nice day!
Consistently vague, misleading, and incorrect.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Your postings are going far beyond simple hubris. I love YOUR statement that I didn't write what I was thinking. Either you consider yourself God like, or this is simply the ranting of a madman. How could you possibly know what I was thinking if I didn't say it.

I know things can seem vague if you don't understand the context of a statement. That is not my shortcoming but yours. I think you are just being mean and arguementative because that is your nature.

As usual you don't see that as a problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

they are a rocker arm that just has a roller tip. i got mine from summit comp makes the ones i got
[url]
Thanks for that information. I'd forgotten those are still being offered for sale.

Jake
Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

hi everyone im new here and have a question to ask i have a 1989 vette stock automatic i was thinking about ordering the 1.6 stamped roller rockers from summit but was not sure about beig able to run them? any help would be great!! also if you can run then what kinda of power am i looking at?

Yes, you can run them as long as they are meant for your 89 valvetrain setup. Years ago I had a problem running stamped, 1.6s on my 86E because the pushrods would bind against the slots in the iron heads that engine came with. I ended up with half a dozen or so bent pushrods.

My point is, make sure the rockers you're considering are designed for the heads you're running.

You may see an increase in power because of the additional valve lift and slight increase in camshaft duration you'll get with the 1.6s. I have to emphasize MAY, because I've never seen back to back dyno results on them.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Your postings are going far beyond simple hubris. I love YOUR statement that I didn't write what I was thinking. Either you consider yourself God like, or this is simply the ranting of a madman. How could you possibly know what I was thinking if I didn't say it.
My mistake. I was trying to give you the benefit the of doubt. What your wrote was indicative of no thinking. I was trying to give you credit for just a simple lapse. You are right in that I don't know what you were thinking, because you were incapable of communicating it. You seem convinced of ideas that you are incapable of communicating and yet you continue to try to confuse and dance around them rather than stick to the issues. I would love to stick around and challenge you to a battle of wits, but I hate to take advantage of an unarmed man. Since you seem unable to participate in a cogent conversation, I bid you adieu.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6 roller rockers

Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Tom 35th anniversary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wow!!

Wow!!!! Is anyone else feelin the love in here?!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just to muddle the waters further , the 128's on my '87 heads were SA.
I was of the belief that all the alum head, roller cam L98's were SA.

As stated above;
regardless of what style (roller tip or full roller) you go with;
if you have SA ,you only need to buy SA rockers .
If you decide to buy NSA, you need guideplates and new pushrods
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Another wrinkle to this whole thing is that CompCams recommends that for a high performance (or some such wording) application, go with NON-self aligning rockers, guide plates and hardened pushrods.

I found it buried in some of their literature.

The problem now becomes, how do you define "high performance" or some such wording?

Now that I've recalled that info, I'm now NOT getting the CompCams 1.6SELF-aligning rockers for my LT1 but will, instead get their 1.65 NON-self aligning rockers, plates and rods.

Anyone have any experience with those?

Jake

Quick Reply: 1.6 roller rockers