C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lifter noise with only 22k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Tralfaz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise with only 22k?

Hi everyone, I thought I'd put this question out to your collective experience before I start yanking my motor apart. I own a 91 Coupe (L98 motor). Starting the car, no noise. Regular driving, no noise. Stretching each gear out a little I get a wicked valve tap at 3000 rpm and up. But the car only has 22k on it! Could it be a clogged pushrod not bringing oil where it should go? Can a lifter give up with that few miles? If I pull the valve covers off, can I get to the lifters to replace them? Last question...can you "see" a bad lifter or is it all internal damage that creates the noise? Your input would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
The Beep
Burning Brakes

I'ld try some hope-in-a-can before ripping and tearing. Run it with a Seafoam-like product in the crankcase then oil change w/ Mobile 1.

Others will certainly disagree.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tralfaz
Hi everyone, I thought I'd put this question out to your collective experience before I start yanking my motor apart. I own a 91 Coupe (L98 motor). Starting the car, no noise. Regular driving, no noise. Stretching each gear out a little I get a wicked valve tap at 3000 rpm and up. But the car only has 22k on it! Could it be a clogged pushrod not bringing oil where it should go? Can a lifter give up with that few miles? If I pull the valve covers off, can I get to the lifters to replace them? Last question...can you "see" a bad lifter or is it all internal damage that creates the noise? Your input would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears
The odds of a broken or damaged roller lifter is small. I would pull the valve covers and readjust the lifters. If you are lucky, a nut loosened up and one is slightly out of adjustment. If you suspect this, buy 16 new lock nuts. I like the gm nuts best. Inspect the obvious stuff while the covers are off. Bent pushrods, cracked rocker etc. If all is good, readjust and dump a small can of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. It is one of the few miracles in a can that can clean the internals of the lifter without damaging it.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if you are hearing a loud injector? Just a thought...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sometimes the lifters can get varnished up and stick, especially if it sits a lot. The miracle in a can thing outside of pulling a valve cover to check for something obvious may be a place to start. Personally Id try a mechanics stethescope (if youre lazy use a long screwdriver) to try and determine exactly where the noise is coming from first.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

You could also have a cat converter going bad. The converter will only make noise when it gets hot, but will do it all the time once it does.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Tralfaz
7th Gear

thanks for the tips, I've already dumped a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in it with a fresh oil change. It hasn't helped much. I guess I'll pull the valve covers off next and look for the guilty party. Might not be a bad time to throw some 1.6 roller rockers in, right?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter noise with only 22k?

Quick Reply: Lifter noise with only 22k?