C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

X pipe with stock mufflers on LT1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
pacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Louder/resonance

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I put an X-Pipe on mine in December..I drag race a lot and I can tell you after 60+ passes that I have seen no improvement with the X-Pipe...I was looking for a bit more grunt on launch but I don't see any change...I probably could have saved the $100 but, oh well...
Seems like everyone on this post would like the same thing as me. An inexpensive way to get a deeper exhaust sound without replacing the whole system. I think the million dollar question is can this be done without getting the unwanted noise (resonance)? Where did you locate the x-pipe? Up front near the engine or farther back. Seems like some people get the resonance and some don’t, I just wonder if the location of the x-pipe affects this
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM
vetteboy95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacat
Seems like everyone on this post would like the same thing as me. An inexpensive way to get a deeper exhaust sound without replacing the whole system. I think the million dollar question is can this be done without getting the unwanted noise (resonance)? Where did you locate the x-pipe? Up front near the engine or farther back. Seems like some people get the resonance and some don’t, I just wonder if the location of the x-pipe affects this
As I said above, I started with the x-pipe and it was only a little deeper of a sound at WOT. Really not that noticable. You'll notice more in response with the x-pipe than in sound. No resonance, it was put closer to the engine. I had the mufflers eliminated 2 weeks after x-pipe for $50 and that made a huge difference in sound. It sounds awesome. You will get some resoncance between 1500 and 2000 but it really hasn't bothered me. Do a search and you can find a bunch of sound clips that were posted a month or so ago of eliminaters. Cheapest way to go.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Two reports

On my '96 LT4 I have the stock exhaust pipe with the resonator replaced with an X pipe located where the resonator was. For mufflers I have the stainless steel Magnaflows.
With the X pipe the acceleration seems a bit quicker and the exhaust sound is louder and deeper. Have lots of interior noise....drones on the highway...not real bad, you can hear the radio just fine with the windows up. but the exhaust sound is always there.

Okay, now on my '95 LT1 I replaced from the cats back with straight pipes with an H pipe (from Corvette Central) right where the left and right pipes come together under the trans. With muffler eliminators the sound was loud, like I had a tuned 383 under the hood. Very aggressive sound, not deep and mellow at all. It was easy to match downshifts to engine speed...you could sure hear everything.

Took the elims off and put on the Magnaflow mufflers with the LT1 tips from Corvette Central. Sound level is quiet inside the car...but a nice deep sound outside. Sounds very good when accelerating, but nice an quiet inside...no drone at any speed.

Last edited by LannyL81; 04-20-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:10 PM
nitecruizer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MexCareBear
i was thinkin about doing the same thing...ha, i wanted to do an x pipe on mine but i didnt wanna do it untill i know wats going to happen or whatever...so my question basically is...if i do an x pipe will it sound just alittle bit louder...an if i do that will i loose performance or hp or tq?...or will i gain hp or tq?
my 95 GOT AN X PIPE, SOUNDED JUST A LITTLE LOUDER AND DEEPER, PUT FORCE ONES FOR MUFFLERS, STILL SOUNDS A LITTLE LOUDER, DEEP SOUND BUT NOT LOUD EVEN WHEN YOU SHOWER DOWN ON IT.

NEXT PROJECT IS MUFFLER ELIMINATORS, SOON AS THE WIFE QUITS CHECKING THE CHECK BOOK.

CRUIZER.

Quick Reply: X pipe with stock mufflers on LT1 ?