C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brakes - A Pleasant surprise - 84

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
elkabong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes - A Pleasant surprise - 84

I am getting closer finally getting the ol 84 back on the road. It was time to put on some new brakes so on a recommendation of a buddy of mine I purchased a set of pads (front and rear) from Carquest. They are their Gold Premium series which are manufactured by a company in Australia called PBR. I did some research which indicated they are a OE manufacturer for GM. This seemed to make sense because Girlock is a Australian company as well. Here is the surprise, there is a warranty card inside the card for Bendix apparently PBR is a subsidiary of Bendix.

I am not sure if my conjecture is correct and I will be the first one to admit that my logic may be flawed and twisted. I just thought I would pass this along as another alternative for brake pads.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Let us know how they work. Other "OEM replacement" pads I've tried were crap compared to the GM pads on the car when I bought it.

There are very few performance pads for the 84-87.

Hawk is one exception. They offer ceramic (non-performance), HPS (performance street pad) and HP+ (streetable track pad)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the Girlock pads off my vette, They sucked !

bEST SET OF NAPA fixed my brakes 100%
Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvettedan22
I took the Girlock pads off my vette, They sucked !

bEST SET OF NAPA fixed my brakes 100%
Are you sure they were original? Mine had GM p/n's on them.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

I dont think they were original, but the did say girlock, and they sucked..

you want some numbers off them ?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvettedan22
I dont think they were original, but the did say girlock, and they sucked..

you want some numbers off them ?

Of course, so I don't make a jackass out of myself claiming the GM pads are wonderful.

GM pads had an 8 digit p/n, I think in the backing plate. If it's an 8 digit number, starting with 140..... then it's a GM pad.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by elkabong
I am getting closer finally getting the ol 84 back on the road. It was time to put on some new brakes so on a recommendation of a buddy of mine I purchased a set of pads (front and rear) from Carquest. They are their Gold Premium series which are manufactured by a company in Australia called PBR. I did some research which indicated they are a OE manufacturer for GM. This seemed to make sense because Girlock is a Australian company as well. Here is the surprise, there is a warranty card inside the card for Bendix apparently PBR is a subsidiary of Bendix.

I am not sure if my conjecture is correct and I will be the first one to admit that my logic may be flawed and twisted. I just thought I would pass this along as another alternative for brake pads.

Not sure about any high performance aspect, but I did get 40000 miles out of my last set of those. Thats damn good for me. This time I replaced them with cheapies from the Zone. Temporary. Nobody else local had anything in stock. At all.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Of course, so I don't make a jackass out of myself claiming the GM pads are wonderful.

GM pads had an 8 digit p/n, I think in the backing plate. If it's an 8 digit number, starting with 140..... then it's a GM pad.
Hey, all it said on the piston side of the pad was girlock. The other pad i could not see if there was a # because it had the sticky back on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes - A Pleasant surprise - 84

Quick Reply: Brakes - A Pleasant surprise - 84