C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Infl Rest Light On ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Joe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1990 Infl Rest Light On ?

1990 " INFL REST " LIGHT ON ?
Anyone Know of a permenent fix , I have replaced the front frame sensors twice in the last few years , light is back on again
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Bulldog Steve
Racer

I am learning to live with it!!!!
Steve
Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
MaxLean
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

What is the code?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
geogolf
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default light

i also fixed mine and light came back on, so i bought one of those pelxiglass smoke inserts and put a peice of black tape over infl. light then put insert on no more light
Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you replaced the sensors, did you clean the frame rail of rust and corroision? The most common reason for the SRS light to come on is a bad ground at the sensor.

The most common rust area is on the passenger side because condensation from the A/C lines drip onto the sensor and frame rail and you can build up rust pretty quickly there.

Remove the passenger side sensor and remove all rust and corrosion on the frame rail and on the botton of the sensor bracket. Use a thin coating of dielectric grease on the frame rail and sensor bracket before you bolt the sensor in place.

Clean any remaining grease off with a solvent and spray paint the area with a good rust-resistant paint like Rustoleum flat black (it's not really visible so you should not see the paint).

Then cut a 6" x6" piece of rubber and cover the sensor to form a "tent" so that any condensation from the A/C lines flows away from the area. A zip-tie will work to hold the rubber to the sensor cover.

Reset the code and you should be good to go.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Joe
Racer

Default Thanks a bunch guys !

Well I have done all but the rubber cover over the sensor , makes a lot of sense will defiantly give it a try Thanks again , We have not had baby on the road in 3 years so am doing a little tweaking , installing a Paxton Blower and then we will be good to go !
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Joe
Racer

Default Well we tried !

Cleaned everything , tried it , no luck !
Bought 2 used ones off Ebay and tried them , no luck !
Could not belive they wanted $299 a piece for new sensors
Black Tape seems to work
Old 05-13-2007, 12:26 AM
MaxLean
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ya know, there are other causes for that light to be on other than just the sensors. That's why I asked earlier what code is returned. In the case of my dads '90 ZR1, it was reporting a left impact sensor code yet it turned out to be the DERM itself and not the sensor. BTW, I hope you don't expect any assistance from the air bag if you have an accident. When the lights on (even with tape over it!), the system is usually disabled. Keep this in mind!
Scott

Last edited by MaxLean; 05-13-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Joe
Racer

Default some where we all have to draw a line !

Belive me their is no one out there that would not like to have everything working as it should but there also is a limit to what it is worth , I have 3 sets of sensors now and see a used DERM on Ebay for $600 a lot more then I am willing to pay ! I guess there is to much old school in me but I drove when there was no airbags , in fact there was no seat belts either !
I feel GM needs to fix this , I know I am not the only one that has had or has this problem , obviously an engineering flaw and in the name of safety I feel the General should step up to the plate , that is why I asked if anyone knew of a permanent fix ? Like upgrading the system to a later model year , or upgrading it to a after market fix , I did contact a place that repairs the airbag computers for $100 but I don't think they can work on this !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2590328&rd=1,1
Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does everyone cover the light with tape? Why don't you pull the bulb out?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget guy's when doing any work on the airbag sys. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY I purchased the Sensors from a local Vette shop for $60 bucks each. Anyway clean the frame rails off before mounting the new one and use a small star washer so it bites into the bolt and sensor a little to help the ground. A code 14,15 and 16 is the Left sensor and 24,25 and 26 are the right side sensor Code 51 is a faulty DERM. Ohm those sensors before removing them. I didn't realize the DERM was so expensive cause I never had to buy one. The DERM is located under the Radio/Stereo unit and has Yellow sleeved wires going to it. The connections to the frame sensors are down in the footwell area. Ya gotta peel back the carpet to get to em. Repair it guy's don't cover up the problem. GOOD LUCK ON THE FIX Pipe
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Joe
Racer

Default repair DERM ?

Has anyone tried to have a DERM repaired ?
Chris McNutt
Airbag Systems, Inc.
Ph. ( 888 ) 439-0698 says he can repair it for $100 + Shipping !
If I can get it out this might be the way to go !

jimmers As for removing the bulb , I have been told the car won't start nor will it start if you remove the airbag fuse

pipe Where did you get new frame sensors for $60 ? that's what I paid for used ones , was quoted $299 @ the dealer for new
How do you get the codes ? do I need to remove the Tape , a bit of a job , I have a Plexiglass cover and a wood grain kit that holds it in place !
My code reader has ECM , CCM & ABS SETTINGS , NOTHING FLASHING BUT 12 !
Old 05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
pipe
Drifting

Joe I purchased the sensors from Stoudt Auto Sales in Reading, Pa. Sells Vette's and has a very knoledgeable parts sales staff. Pull the codes from the ALDL Connector (near your right shin under the dash). You need to jump pins A & B they are the two in the upper right hand corner of the connector. You can bend a Paper Clip in a U shape and put it between both and turn the Key to the On position not Start. It will blink 12 three times blink pause blink blink this is just a check code. If there are any faults it will blink them up after 12 has been shown three times. Keep us posted. Pipe
Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
pipe
Drifting

Joe just another thing: Mid America sells a small jumper wire with a button on it to pull the codes and reset the INFL REST and Seatbelt light $20 bucks it has 4 pages of info about the fix of this that were taken from the Factory Service Manual. Pipe
Old 05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
jimmers As for removing the bulb , I have been told the car won't start nor will it start if you remove the airbag fuse
I'm talkin about the bulb, not the fuse. I removed my bulb last year until I replaced the sensors. The car ran fin.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Joe
Racer

Default I feel stupid

Dam do I feel stupid , must be getting old , for some reason I thought disconnecting the battery for 10 min. would clear the DERM , I had forgot that I had bought one of the switches from Mid America
so I removed the tape, had a code 16, left side sensor , followed the directions and cleared the codes and we seem to be good , my guess is the two used ones I bought off Ebay are good but did not need them !
Just clean the ones I had and know how to clear the codes !
O well extra parts are always a good thing , thanks a lot guys , lots of good info , everything seems to work as it should now all we have left is a new Paxton blower to install been trying to get up the nerve for 4 years think we are there
Anyone want to help turn some wrenches ? Ocklawaha FL. Say that 3 times fast
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
pipe
Drifting

Ye Haaa another fix and didn't need the sensor after all Pipe That little button thingy from mid america works ok

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Infl Rest Light On ?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM
reddracer1
Heel & Toe

Great dialogue on this problem that I also have. On the Mid-America jumper with button, I have looked through the entire catalogue and can't find it, but then I am getting old and can't find a lot of things. I have also searched on the website and the keywords I am using don't bring anything up like described. Can you give me the name of the part? Or a description, etc???

Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Joe
Racer

Default Air Bag Code Tool

AIR BAG CODE TOOL
$21.99
order # 601106
Mid America
PH 1-800-500-1500
Hope this helps
No longer in their book , but said they could order it !
Old 05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
pipe
Drifting

That's it SWEET LITTLE GADGET Pipe

Quick Reply: 1990 Infl Rest Light On ?