C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Muffler Elims. For Adults

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
there's a volkswagen waiting in your driveway with your name on it.
Id take it as loud as I could. I have eliminators no cats and I enjoy the sound. I am hoping to put on some LT headers down the road to crank up the volume. And yes I am a kid....
Old 05-08-2007, 06:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've got them on mine
No real performance gain, but I love that sound!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
BigLee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N.C. Kid
Id take it as loud as I could. I have eliminators no cats and I enjoy the sound. I am hoping to put on some LT headers down the road to crank up the volume. And yes I am a kid....

just yank everything from the headers back... who needs an exhaust system? drive it like that daily...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
edar
Intermediate

I drive a convertible ...I see most of you folks are using coupes. You have that extra option of an extra sound barrier that I don't get.

Enjoy the ride
Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
What?
Blind in one ear and can't see out of the other, huh?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
carriker
Pro

Sounds cool.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigLee
just yank everything from the headers back... who needs an exhaust system? drive it like that daily...

I did for a LONG time. Exaust kept being problamatic. I ran straight manifolds. It was beastly loud. I like going back to that idea but I dont think its good for the car and can ruin the engine since theres no back pressure? and plus all that exaust fumes arnt good.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have LT headers 383, cam/head package,....... straight pipes with NO mufflers or cats..... i just rev little bit in night before cut off the engine, next a complaint letter was at the door (i live in apartment), the guy said there was an F14 came in our aprtment last night, makes me laugh, soon iam putting back either cats or mufflers. But u cant beat the sound of straight pipes with No/mufflers/Cats..
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM
BigLee
Racer

Originally Posted by N.C. Kid
I did for a LONG time. Exaust kept being problamatic. I ran straight manifolds. It was beastly loud. I like going back to that idea but I dont think its good for the car and can ruin the engine since theres no back pressure? and plus all that exaust fumes arnt good.
i was being sarcastic... actually, no engine damage would occur from it at all. engines dont need any backpressure in the exhaust system. your engine is basically operating without backpressure at idle, and most cruising conditions anyway.

however, the lack of the long exh. pipes will hurt low rpm power output, due to the loss TUNING effect from the absence of the pipes.

not to mention carbon monoxide poisioning, and inability to hear anything....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

cool idea. Vettes should be heard, and seen.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BigLee
i was being sarcastic... actually, no engine damage would occur from it at all. engines dont need any backpressure in the exhaust system. your engine is basically operating without backpressure at idle, and most cruising conditions anyway.

however, the lack of the long exh. pipes will hurt low rpm power output, due to the loss TUNING effect from the absence of the pipes.
I don't think the L98 pipes are providing any tuning effect. The LT1 system and resonator can arguably reduce the exhaust pressure more than open pipe by tuning, but I've never seen anyone verify that.

It's more likely lost power due to overscavenging at low rpms, same thing that makes the exhaust choppy when backing off the throttle.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
nitecruizer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like the way your car sounds and someone dont, let the someone just lump it. Do your thing your way and to heck with everyone else. On my 95 I have and x pipe and Force 1 mufflers and I like it like that. When I put the new cam in I am going to put electric cut outs on mine.

Cruizer
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

There's a time and place for everything. I wouldn't want some asshat driving my car around my neighborhood loudly, so I don't do it in other's neighborhoods. No mufflers can be relatively quiet if you try. But on the open road, let it roar.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
BigLee
Racer

Originally Posted by nitecruizer
If you like the way your car sounds and someone dont, let the someone just lump it. Do your thing your way and to heck with everyone else.
Cruizer

wrong. your "right" to have a car as loud as you want, ends at other peoples ears.... and the law basically states that.

if your car is excessively loud, you DESERVE the fines you will hopefully recieve...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:15 AM
BigLee
Racer

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I don't think the L98 pipes are providing any tuning effect. The LT1 system and resonator can arguably reduce the exhaust pressure more than open pipe by tuning, but I've never seen anyone verify that.

It's more likely lost power due to overscavenging at low rpms, same thing that makes the exhaust choppy when backing off the throttle.
practically any street cars exhaust system lenght will provide a tuning effect.

Quick Reply: Muffler Elims. For Adults