C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lights on, but no one is at home

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Jag77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights on, but no one is at home

Went out to start my '94, all the lights come on but it would not even crank. Just dead. I cleaned off the positive battery cable and reconnected--samething, dead but with lights.

I got caught in the rain yesterday for about a 45 minute drive, could it be the distributor?

I check the forum, but did not find the no crank as a symtom of the opti problem.

Thx
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Remove your battery and have it tested for free at AutoZone, NAPA, Checker's, etc... It could have a defective cell and is no longer able to hold a charge.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Couple things come to mind also. Possible bad starter/solenoid. Does it click at any time from the starter area. That could indicate the starter is the problem. Do the headlights seem to be at normal brightness?

Another possibility is a VATS related problem. Try another key or clean the pellet with alcohol on your present one and try again. Also, the start inhibit relay if defective would not allow the solenoid to get power hence no starter action.

If car is a stick shift, the safety switch on the clutch could be a factor. Don’t have books here and not that part of the circuit exactly memorized. But an open anywhere in the safety circuit would cause a no start condition.

Generally the computer (CCM) which controls VATS is pretty reliable and not usually the root of the problem.

Last edited by pcolt94; 05-10-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Use the search function for, "VATS", there are a gazillion posts, a lot are mine.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Jag77
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Couple things come to mind also. Possible bad starter/solenoid. Does it click at any time from the starter area. That could indicate the starter is the problem. Do the headlights seem to be at normal brightness?

Another possibility is a VATS related problem. Try another key or clean the pellet with alcohol on your present one and try again. Also, the start inhibit relay if defective would not allow the solenoid to get power hence no starter action.

If car is a stick shift, the safety switch on the clutch could be a factor. Don’t have books here and not that part of the circuit exactly memorized. But an open anywhere in the safety circuit would cause a no start condition.

Generally the computer (CCM) which controls VATS is pretty reliable and not usually the root of the problem.

No clicking and it is an automatic. I will try your suggestions after work.

Thx
Old 05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Jag77
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcolt94

Well I went home at lunch to try the headlights and the extra ignition key. They both worked!!!!! Then I used my regular key and it started right up!!

I read where others had this happen to them also. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:16 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the pellet in the key is clean (clean it with rubbing alcohol). It was most likely a VATS problem.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
Use the search function for, "VATS", there are a gazillion posts, a lot are mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Lights on, but no one is at home

Quick Reply: Lights on, but no one is at home