C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

window motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
abs-73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window motors

Has anyone replaced an electric window motor on a 95 vette. Could use some info. A friend of mine has this car and tells me there is no access to the motor. Thank's for your help. abs-73
Old 06-09-2007, 10:06 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Its easier to replace the whole regulator and motor assembly rather then just a motor. You have to take the entire door panel off and remove the glass to do it.

I did it on my 94 a few years ago, it'll take you about 2 hours and 3 beers to finish the job.

The cost was 140.00 for the whole assembly from The Last Detail in Atl.

Hope this helps, Larry
Old 06-09-2007, 12:29 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was dumb and only bought the motor, now I have to take my regulator somewhere to get the old motor's rivets drilled out, and new rivets put into the new one. They're huge rivets, and you can't just use bolts because the bolt heads will be in the way.

I think the 95 and 96 doors are very similar, and I have disassembled my 96 doors countless times so if you have any questions about the process send me a private message. In a nutshell:

1. Use a screwdriver to pry off the plastic lock handle piece off from the lock rod and to pry out the courtesy light from the top.

2. Unscrew two screws that step 1 revealed and one more screw.

3. Yank hard on the bottom of the door to seperate the some plastic fasteners on the door trim from the door.

4. Lift up and out to remove the door trim.

5. See that big aluminum sheet? You're going to have to remove it. Unscrew all the little bolts around the door that hold it there. You must remove one of two screws on the piece of metal that keeps the window from rising any higher, but don't remove both or the piece will fall out and you'll lose track of where it goes. There's a screw on the side of the door near the power lock motor that also holds this aluminum sheet. Use a tool to pry the lock rods out of their plastic holders on the sheet.

6. When all the screws are out, forcefully try to move the sheet and it should move around. It takes a lot of wiggling to get it free. Slide it until the lock rod comes out of its hole, and maneuver the little clip that holds on the door handle rod until that rod comes unfastened as well from near the door handle. Remove the sheet.

7. Without that sheet you have access to the regulator.

Let me know if I've forgotten any steps.

Get notified of new replies

To window motors

Quick Reply: window motors