C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

minor problem with Azatto chip

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor problem with Azatto chip

Jesse (or anyone else that may know what the problem is)...I hope you can help me clear this up (PM went unanswered)

I got a chip burned and, overall, I am satisfied. Nice smooth idle + no codes = happy camper. I am having a problem with the start up. When cold, she starts right up as she should. When she is warm, she starts up and then falls on her face. Sometimes she stalls, sometimes she doesn't. Once recovered, she idles nice and runs strong. It is embarassing when I talk about this great motor I built and then it starts like a beater.

I searched the forum and found a post that suggests the throttle blades are not letting enough air in. I turned mine up and it starts the same way.....fires up, falls on her face, then revs at 1300 rpm. I don't think it's the throttle blades.

Jesse - or anyone else for that matter - any thoughts??
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I know for a fact that Jesse will respond to this when he sees it, he's a busy guy. I'm no expert here, far from it, but I don't think the chip has anything to do with your problem. I also have a chip done by Jesse and am tickled to death with it. My car does exactly the opposite of yours. Once in while it will stumble or die on a cold start up but it doesn't do it enough to go looking for the reason. Hot starts are fine.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

I'm sure he'll respond too...and I know he's busy. Just trying to identify or eliminate the problem if it is not the chip. Pretty sure it is though. The car didn't do it at all before the chip was burned....did it immidiately after and since.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you re-adjust the TPS after you messed with the min idle screw ??
Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
85blkrose
Racer

i also had my chip done by jesse for my stroker. he is a very busy person and he will get back to you. by the way jesse the chip is workin great! thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Did you re-adjust the TPS after you messed with the min idle screw ??

It sounds like you're not setting your minimum idle correctly. You don't just play around with the blades, there's a whole procedure in the tech tips on how to do it properly.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

no...I didn't touch the TPS. Just the torx adjustment for the butterflies. Does the TPS need to be adjusted as well???

And....don't we all live busy lives? I know I do. So for those of you that keep repeating how busy he is....trust me, I know. I am not being impatient...just wondering who, besides Jesse, may be able to explain what's going on with it. Hence, the post in the regular forum.

My engine has been starting like an 87 CHEvette for the past week and it is embarassing.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 PM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

time to tear into the archives!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:01 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

If you adjust the butterflys, the tps will change as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
If you adjust the butterflys, the tps will change as well.

Twisting the idle screw rotates the throttle shaft, thus changing the tps setting. Double check the tps setting and readjust. You may be fine.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
crossfire7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ODIVETTE
My engine has been starting like an 87 CHEvette for the past week and it is embarassing.
My chevette starts and runs great.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

ODIVETTE would you let us know when he gets back to you and you've figured it out please? I had the same problem and logs showed the BLMs very rich down low. Good luck
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

Cabo - I hope the answer presents itself on this thread....from what I've read, the TPS sensor has to be adjusted according to voltage? Can someone explain that process to me (in laymans terms please)?

If it is not that (which, again, I don't know that it is due to the fact that it didn't do it before the burn and it doesn't do it with an '89 chip in it), than maybe Jesse can shed some light on it for all of us.

I PM'd him on June 3...and, as you probably have read, he is busy. I just wish that I knew how busy he is/was before I spent the $260
Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Cabo - I hope the answer presents itself on this thread....from what I've read, the TPS sensor has to be adjusted according to voltage? Can someone explain that process to me (in laymans terms please)?

If it is not that (which, again, I don't know that it is due to the fact that it didn't do it before the burn and it doesn't do it with an '89 chip in it), than maybe Jesse can shed some light on it for all of us.

I PM'd him on June 3...and, as you probably have read, he is busy. I just wish that I knew how busy he is/was before I spent the $260

My next question was going to be if you had a stock chip to put back in. Since the stock chip doesn't create the problem then I can see your concern. Did you email Jesse direct or just through the forum?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odi - it sounds like you need to start from scratch with setting the min idle screw, I think there is a tech tip on Batee or you can search the achieves here, you need to park the IAC first then unplug it then set the idle screw, then set the TPS to .54 and reconnect the IAC.

I cant find my link for the tech tip but you have to jumper 2 pins on the aldl to park the IAC
Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

Maybe my tone is wrong - I am not being impatient here. I just want to rule out any other possibilities...and leave Jesse to his business. I figured if he saw this, he may chime in. Or maybe someone else could solve the problem and I could go about my merry way. My way is pretty darn merry!

I will call him if the TPS adj doesn't solve the problem.

I will do some more searching. Before I do....how in the heck to I know what voltage the TPS is putting out? A volt meter (I assume)? Where do I read from?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Since you did move the throttle blades you will have to reset the min. air idle even if there is a problem with the chip.
Take a paperclip or any small piece of wire about the same size, locate your diagnostic plug which is just forward of where your right knee is while sitting in the car. Place one end of the wire in the A terminal of the plug and the other end in terminal B. Turn the key to on, your fans should start running. Allow the IAC at least 30 seconds to fully seat then turn the key off and remove the wire. Disconnect the tan/black wire that is for timing advance, it is right alongside the master cylinder. Start the engine and set the idle at 50-100 rpm UNDER whatever idle is programmed into the chip, (this is Jesse's proven method and it does work on modded engines) so if your chip is set for an 800 idle, set the actual idle at 700-750. Once you get the idle set then you can turn the key off, reconnect the IAC then set the TPS. Disconnect the TPS and run a jumper wire from the top and the second terminal on the TPS to the connector. These jumpers should be bared in the middle so you can connect a voltmeter to them. Once everything is hooked up turn on the key and set the TPS to .54 volts. This should take care of getting the TPS back where it belongs in relation to the the throttle blades.

Get notified of new replies

To minor problem with Azatto chip

Old 06-12-2007, 02:18 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

I just want to rule out any other possibilities...and leave Jesse to his business.
Definitely do as Midnight 85 has posted, though you will need to know where the warm idle is programmed in the chip. Once the IAC and TPS are adjusted properly, you can troubleshoot from there if the problem persists.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

Midnight 85...described perfectly! I will do exactly that. Thanks for the walk through. I will keep you posted...won'y be able to get to it until tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I dont know what your engine mods are,or the chip requires,but is there a minimum air speed you need to set the TB to?

Some mods and chips call for a different one than factory settings.

Some cars you need to have someone put it in D and hold the brake down while you adjust the minimum air screw,tps and accordingly.

Im not sure what works for your car...anyways I had this problem after a few engine mods..the factory setting was not working with my mods or chip so I made a few trials and found a sweet spot the car loved.

I cant recall what it was,but i tried 450 rpm,500,550,600 etc.
Didnt go to high though,just did a few adjustments until I found that one spot the car just ran so good with.I figured the mods I had threw it off some.

Btw,when your car acts up,say in park,warmed up,unplug the PCV valve and let me know how the engine behaves,if it idles better,or even worse etc.Im assuming you can do this before you adjust everything.If not thats cool.

Im curious because I found something strange years back with this technique that im trying to see if it happens on other cars too.

Quick Reply: minor problem with Azatto chip